Computers & Electronics

CloudFlare DNS (1.1.1.1) - Adblock stopped?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 6:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4302 posts
1664 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

CloudFlare DNS (1.1.1.1) - Adblock stopped?

Is CloudFlare still providing adblocking on their free 1.1.1.1 service? I've used it for quite awhile at router level and been happy with it. However over the last little while I've been noticing a lot of ads and assuming CloudFlare stopped blocking in favour of pushing their Warp service.

Anyone know if this is true? I couldn't seem to find confirmation myself. I'm debating Pihole though I'm not a huge fan of running our Media PC 24/7. Any other good options like CloudFlare?
40 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4674 posts
2031 upvotes
GTA
I don't recall 1.1.1.1 ever having an adblock feature. Are you sure you weren't mistaken?

There's a couple that come to mind...

dns.adguard.com is one from AdGuard that is free to use.
NextDNS.io is free for now during it's beta phase. After that, you get adblocking for 300,000 queries a month, and $2 USD/month after that for unlimited

Adguard is basically set it and forget it. You can't configure it at all. Whereas NextDNS is basically a cloud based PiHole and you have a lot more configuration options like what filter lists to use, whitelists, blacklists, etc.

Once nice touch is that if you have an Android device on Android 9 or higher, you can use its private DNS feature and use a service like NextDNS for adblocking on the phone

PiHole can be run on something as small as a Pi Zero so it's what I prefer.
Last edited by Dave98 on Apr 7th, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14705 posts
3548 upvotes
any suggestion any other options for ad block DNS?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4302 posts
1664 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Dave98 wrote: I don't recall 1.1.1.1 ever having an adblock feature. Are you sure you weren't mistaken?

There's a couple that come to mind...

dns.adguard.com is one from AdGuard that is free to use.
NextDNS.io is free for now during it's beta phase. After that, you get adblocking for 300,000 queries a month, and $2 USD/month after that for unlimited

Adguard is basically set it and forget it. You can't configure it at all. Whereas NextDNS is basically a cloud based PiHole and you have a lot more configuration options like what filter lists to use, whitelists, blacklists, etc.

Once nice touch is that if you have an Android device on Android 9 or higher, you can use its private DNS feature and use a service like NextDNS for adblocking on the phone

PiHole can be run on something as small as a Pi Zero so it's what I prefer.
Thanks for all the helpful information. I just setup NextDNS and will see how it does.

I like the idea of Pihole however the only equipment I presently have to run it on is my media server, but I prefer to only turn that on as needed as our TV/movie consumption is maybe an hour a day these days so it seems excessive to run it just for that. If I ever get around to a Pi I will definitely give that a shot on there for sure.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12223 posts
6762 upvotes
Brampton
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks for all the helpful information. I just setup NextDNS and will see how it does.

I like the idea of Pihole however the only equipment I presently have to run it on is my media server, but I prefer to only turn that on as needed as our TV/movie consumption is maybe an hour a day these days so it seems excessive to run it just for that. If I ever get around to a Pi I will definitely give that a shot on there for sure.
Bite the bullet and get the pi for Pi-Hole. Or if you have a compatible router use Diversion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4302 posts
1664 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
tebore wrote: Bite the bullet and get the pi for Pi-Hole. Or if you have a compatible router use Diversion.
It's not an appropriate time for me to be making frivolous purchases.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10328 posts
2700 upvotes
Winnipeg
ChicoQuente wrote: It's not an appropriate time for me to be making frivolous purchases.
an rpi 4 2gb at 35 usd can be your media pc,netflix at 1080p and media server at the fraction of the cost to run as your pc does. You install it as addon in kodi or as a docker its super simple. The absolute most energy efficient to do the job well would be an s905 x3 4g ram at around 6w load while a pc in standby doing nothing can use around 4w. So for 4k60hz playback of local files supports 720p netflix, prime etc is around 55 bucks shipped. You could drop it 10 bucks but you lose gigabit and ram is down 2gb and if its nas duties or high bitrate uhd files 100lan won't suffice and its hard to warrant the savings by doing so.

I have both. The rpi 4 2gb is a small horse way overkill for just pihole, just like a pc would be. Pihole,router,nextcloud,wireguard then yeah its a good choice. But simple cheap mediaplayer/server/pihole/nas etc the s905x3 works just fine and very cheap too. I mention it because places selling rapsberry's even the zeros. Add 10-12 bucks for shipping so even a zero becomes a 30 dollar investment and doesn't offer cord natively.

But you could use the adguard dns ip on your router or individual devices if you trust russian servers. Nothing in this world is free so its gonna do something with your queries if you use it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4302 posts
1664 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
My media PC houses the HDDs for the media as well so it's not as simple as "buy a PI for $30 and you're off to the races". The Media PC as is does exactly what I need it to, and since it presently runs between 0-120 minutes max a day I am not currently worried about energy consumption as it is still quite minimal. As well my Media PC has more transitioned to a Plex server and is housed in my utility room which is where the Pi would go too. None of the features like Netflix would be of any use to me either. All my TVs already have a console/Apple TV/built in app/etc for those needs so a Pi would again be of no benefit to me there. If I had a need and use (other than JUST Pihole) I would absolutely get a Pi and toss it in my utility room, but at this time that is money spent needlessly to move laterally. I appreciate the input however it just is not what I am looking for right now.

At this time I have setup NextDNS and plan to try it out for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1040 posts
629 upvotes
Vancouver
ChicoQuente wrote: My media PC houses the HDDs for the media as well so it's not as simple as "buy a PI for $30 and you're off to the races". The Media PC as is does exactly what I need it to, and since it presently runs between 0-120 minutes max a day I am not currently worried about energy consumption as it is still quite minimal. As well my Media PC has more transitioned to a Plex server and is housed in my utility room which is where the Pi would go too. None of the features like Netflix would be of any use to me either. All my TVs already have a console/Apple TV/built in app/etc for those needs so a Pi would again be of no benefit to me there. If I had a need and use (other than JUST Pihole) I would absolutely get a Pi and toss it in my utility room, but at this time that is money spent needlessly to move laterally. I appreciate the input however it just is not what I am looking for right now.

At this time I have setup NextDNS and plan to try it out for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.
So then add docker to it and install pihole on it.

It's not like pihole needs an rpi to run
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4302 posts
1664 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
kramer1 wrote:
So then add docker to it and install pihole on it.

It's not like pihole needs an rpi to run
ChicoQuente wrote: I like the idea of Pihole however the only equipment I presently have to run it on is my media server, but I prefer to only turn that on as needed as our TV/movie consumption is maybe an hour a day these days so it seems excessive to run it just for that. If I ever get around to a Pi I will definitely give that a shot on there for sure.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10328 posts
2700 upvotes
Winnipeg
whats the specs on your current media pc setup how many drives?

But first here

goto your wifi card or your router and use use these adguard dns servers instead of cloudfare

dns 1 =176.103.130.130
dns 2 =176.103.130.131

Family protection (have no idea how these help maybe block pron queries)
dsn 1=176.103.130.132
dns 2=176.103.130.134

try on a device first and see if you like it.
Mar 21, 2019
48 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Bite the bullet and get the pi for Pi-Hole. Or if you have a compatible router use Diversion.
can I install Pi-Hole on a Netbook with Linux?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
I think you were thinking of opendns/cisco umbrella

Pihole does a much better job
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15105 posts
3018 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
DealCanuck wrote: I think you were thinking of opendns/cisco umbrella

Pihole does a much better job
OpenDNS does not block ads, only malware
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
weedb0y wrote: OpenDNS does not block ads, only malware
It does if you tell it to
Mar 21, 2019
48 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: I use it. Could you help me find out where the adblocking is?
I would like to know too
Mar 21, 2019
48 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: whats the specs on your current media pc setup how many drives?

But first here

goto your wifi card or your router and use use these adguard dns servers instead of cloudfare

dns 1 =176.103.130.130
dns 2 =176.103.130.131

Family protection (have no idea how these help maybe block pron queries)
dsn 1=176.103.130.132
dns 2=176.103.130.134

try on a device first and see if you like it.
I tried this DNS..it works but not 100%..it cut down a lot of ads...but sometimes still get ad randomly on youtube..
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10328 posts
2700 upvotes
Winnipeg
peekabo wrote: I tried this DNS..it works but not 100%..it cut down a lot of ads...but sometimes still get ad randomly on youtube..
its no pihole but its free