• Jul 18th, 2020 11:08 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7549 posts
8124 upvotes
Vancouver

Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 failed (Jul 17)

My desktop PC internet just went down, and I quickly traced it to the fact that it was using 1.1.1.1 as its DNS address. Apparently they have gone off the air for the moment.

Are you seeing this elsewhere, or is it only on the west coast?
Last edited by Scote64 on Jul 18th, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Apr 4, 2012
292 posts
181 upvotes
Laval, Que
A ok here with cloudflare. There was an issue today

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/

" Update - This afternoon we saw an outage across some parts of our network. It was not as a result of an attack. It appears a router on our global backbone announced bad routes and caused some portions of the network to not be available. We believe we have addressed the root cause and are monitoring systems for stability now.
Jul 17, 22:09 UTC "
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
I wonder if Google's DNS was messed up too.
I changed over to Level3 and my issues went away.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2849 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
I find it funny that companies pay hundreds/thousands to Cloudflare to prevent their websites/services from going down only for Cloudflare to just become another point of failure. Hope they get partial refunds.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
Hello- wrote: I find it funny that companies pay hundreds/thousands to Cloudflare to prevent their websites/services from going down only for Cloudflare to just become another point of failure. Hope they get partial refunds.
They do, but it's not very much.
It's literally prorated down to the minute.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7549 posts
8124 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave98 wrote: I've been using Unbound on my pihole so I technically don't have to rely on the larger DNS services
https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/unbound/
I used to use Treewalk DNS on WinXP to run my own local DNS, but sadly it was not updated for later versions of Windows. It would access the root nameservers to gradually build your own local DNS not dependent on any external DNS.