• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2017 12:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
370 upvotes
Brampton

CLR alternative?

CLR kitchen and bath works good, but it's expensive.

Any cheaper alternative?

Thanks !
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
vinegar, lemon, baking soda. I find HDX brand bathroom spray foam cleaner works pretty good at removing bathroom scale. Lemon is a natural descaler.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16181 posts
17606 upvotes
Oakville
Vinegar works great if you don't mind the smell. It's also great as a rinse aid for the dishwasher, but massively cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9598 posts
1852 upvotes
Toronto
Canadiantire also has their generic brand.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
20023 posts
7385 upvotes
Socially Distanced
What do you need it for and why are you looking for an alternative?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6802 upvotes
Brampton
Quentin5 wrote: What do you need it for and why are you looking for an alternative?
but it's expensive.

Any cheaper alternative?
Anyway vinegar works but may take bit longer. Any kind of acid really will work.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1508 upvotes
WFH
1gal of Zep version of CLR @ HD for ~$16
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10055 posts
5323 upvotes
Paris
Buy concentrated CLR and mix it yourself. Kitchen and bath is just regular CLR and water in a spray jug.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
370 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks. I bought the zep on clearance. It seems to work great in bath.

I need something to clean my kitchen sink and stove.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6802 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote: Buy concentrated CLR and mix it yourself. Kitchen and bath is just regular CLR and water in a spray jug.
Is Concentrated just the Original Grey jug? I've never actually seen a "Concentrated" CLR.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Vim is the best for kitchen sink
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10055 posts
5323 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote: Is Concentrated just the Original Grey jug? I've never actually seen a "Concentrated" CLR.
Well, no I suppose not. The original grey jug is the normal and Kitchen & Bath is diluted. So one is normal and one is 3/4 water and a spray bottle for a jacked up price. A jug of CLR probably has a 4 year shelf life in a home where kitchen and bath will get used and replaced yearly or more.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16181 posts
17606 upvotes
Oakville
ambujakshi wrote: Thanks. I bought the zep on clearance. It seems to work great in bath.

I need something to clean my kitchen sink and stove.
Plain white vinegar. If you want a specific cleaning product, try Lemon Aide. It's natural and work pretty well with lemon juice.
Last edited by engineered on Feb 3rd, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
20023 posts
7385 upvotes
Socially Distanced
DIrty-D wrote: Vim is the best for kitchen sink
Vim is a very good cleaner
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6802 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote: Well, no I suppose not. The original grey jug is the normal and Kitchen & Bath is diluted. So one is normal and one is 3/4 water and a spray bottle for a jacked up price. A jug of CLR probably has a 4 year shelf life in a home where kitchen and bath will get used and replaced yearly or more.
So you're saying there's a more concentrated version than the Normal?

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm
That's the bottle I usually see. And the Kitchen/bath one is a yellow spray bottle.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10055 posts
5323 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote: So you're saying there's a more concentrated version than the Normal?

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm
That's the bottle I usually see. And the Kitchen/bath one is a yellow spray bottle.
No. I am saying there is normal (grey jug) and diluted (kitchen and bath). So take normal and put it in a spray bottle with some water and you just made kitchen and bath.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6420 posts
1083 upvotes
Just keep in mind that these acidic cleaners cannot be used on some surfaces - eg marble which is easily etched by even weak acids.

Top