[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2008 posts
147 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

Club sobeys Mastercard vs. PC Mastercard - your opinions

Hey guys,

I want to know what were your experiences of either the Club Sobeys MasterCard or the PC MasterCard?

I frequently shop at the Loblaws Superstore in my hometown, but sometimes I go to Sobeys for some certain things that I like. I'm already both members of the Club Sobeys loyalty programme and the PC Points programme (via a bank account that I deal with PC Financial).

I've compared both of those cards and I found out that while I get a $20CDN startup bonus when applying for the PC MasterCard (in the form of coupons?!), the Club Sobeys MasterCard gets me a $10CDN bonus - in the form of Club Sobeys points.

I would also like to have some other alternatives to those cards as well, if you lads can suggest me which card to choose from.

Any suggestions?
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9081 posts
3692 upvotes
Toronto
You can convert Sobey points to aeroplan points, 2 to 1. Can't do that with PC points.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1371 posts
55 upvotes
Neither, get the MBNA smartcash card for a 3% cash back return on groceries.
Nov 5, 2009
391 posts
39 upvotes
PCF is a 1% return, I believe Sobeys is less than that, their point conversions are not as simple. Both cards are free.
Mar 23, 2004
47146 posts
13337 upvotes
Markham
mackersdixon wrote: PCF is a 1% return, I believe Sobeys is less than that, their point conversions are not as simple. Both cards are free.
well sobeys mc has an adv of being a free aeroplan credit card, but thats about it. Sobeys stuff are usually more expensive afaik...
Dec 12, 2009
820 posts
117 upvotes
Nova Scotia
If you will be using this card primarily for groceries, then I think the MNBA Smart Cash if by far the best option.

For myself personally, I went with with the Shoppers Optimum Mastercard. The reason? I wanted a card that would earn me points on very small purchases, as I'll only be using the card at Tim Horton's and Shoppers. The sign-up bonus plus a rebate from GCR also netted me ~$85 cashback.
Mar 6, 2010
245 posts
19 upvotes
Yes, the smart cash card will be your best option.... Especially for groceries
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2008 posts
147 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Well I don't mind cashback, but I frequently shop at the Real Canadian Superstore. I do on occasion, shop at Sobeys.

I have at least 1,045 Club Sobeys points which netted me $5CDN off my purchases at Sobeys.

As for PC Points, I have around 14,000 (at last count) PC points.
Any suggestions to my scenarios above?

There was one time that PC Financial has partnered Petro-Canada on exchanging Petro-Points for PC Points, but the programme has since been stopped.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
Why do you keep bringing this up? 3% cashback will beat any of these points programs.

Do the rate of return calculations for yourself. How much did you spend to get 1000 Sobeys points? It only got you $5 in the end. So if you spent more than $166 getting those points, you're better off with SmartCash, period.
Apr 24, 2007
8 posts
Alberta
I'm not being a smart a$$ but I find Safeways and Sobeys about 20-30% higher in price on their products when compared to the Super Store.

Shouldn't we be more concerned with saving at the till rather than on redeemable points?

With the money you save at Super Store, you could afford to pay cash from the savings for a trip.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9702 posts
762 upvotes
Markham
billydee wrote: I'm not being a smart a$$ but I find Safeways and Sobeys about 20-30% higher in price on their products when compared to the Super Store.

Shouldn't we be more concerned with saving at the till rather than on redeemable points?

With the money you save at Super Store, you could afford to pay cash from the savings for a trip.
That is true, but for PC MasterCard, unless there's an in-store promo going on (which seems rarer the last year or two), you get the same amount of points wherever you buy stuff which is 1%.

The Sobeys points are double if you buy at Sobeys stores - though generally everything there costs more.

Obviously MBNA gives the most at 3% at grocery stores. But for for the small amount of purchases I make it's not worth it, I've had difficult experiences with MBNA and will not do business with them for a long time.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4766 posts
3860 upvotes
Personally I disagree that Sobey's charges more than Loblaws. In fact I've noticed one or two items that are cheaper than Loblaws, and finally, after a few months Loblaws brings down their prices on the items to match Sobey's.. The problem I find with Sobey's is not in their prices, but in their selection. Loblaws just seems to have more of the products I want to buy. If Sobey's had the same produce selection as Loblaws, then I would go with them, since as was mentioned you can convert the Sobey's points to Aeroplan miles, which to me would be a bonus....and yes, I do use the MBNA cashback card at both stores.
Apr 17, 2009
482 posts
95 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: You can convert Sobey points to aeroplan points, 2 to 1. Can't do that with PC points.
+1 ! And it's free! 1 aeroplan point can worth up to 8 cents!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5582 posts
369 upvotes
Mississauga
Hairball wrote: Obviously MBNA gives the most at 3% at grocery stores. But for for the small amount of purchases I make it's not worth it, I've had difficult experiences with MBNA and will not do business with them for a long time.
As tempting as this card is, I just can't take the plunge with what I hear about the customer service at MBNA. My credit standing is worth way more than 3% savings.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
149 upvotes
M-e-X-x wrote: As tempting as this card is, I just can't take the plunge with what I hear about the customer service at MBNA. My credit standing is worth way more than 3% savings.
I don't blame you. My short and limited experience with MBNA left me scratching my head. I'm glad I backed out when I could. It would not be worth the headache.

Anyways....

Did the people in this thread who mentioned the Smartcash MC read the thread title? Did the guy ask what credit card he should get? No, he wanted opinions on two cards - Club Sobeys MasterCard or the PC MasterCard. It was a straight forward question. There is no doubt what he was asking. But almost every...single...time...anybody even mentions a credit card, no matter what the question is, somebody has to say "don't get that card! Get the MBNA Smartcash!!!!LOL. It's AWESOME because I have it and I'm AWESOME too!!!!ROFL". And the inevitable post-count +++ responses will shortly follow.

Okay people, we get it. You masturbate on your Smartcash MC. That's great. Good for you. But you people tend to forget that you are answering a question that nobody asked. There's at least 3 threads on the first page in which the OP asked a question, but once again the Smartcash crowd shows up and completely misses what the OP was asking.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean or anything to the SC cardholders. But you guys really need to stop and think before you post. I know you're just trying to help and have good intentions, but you're just being annoying now.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
3312 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
PC financial more so than other credit cards places a hold on your card when you shop in Buffalo and forget to tell them you are going there which is a big pain.

Despite my great credit score PC financial also decreased my limit from 15000 to 2000 right after making a claim about a charge.

Not sure if Sobey's would be better but I'm not happy with my card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9702 posts
762 upvotes
Markham
M-e-X-x wrote: As tempting as this card is, I just can't take the plunge with what I hear about the customer service at MBNA. My credit standing is worth way more than 3% savings.
I was totally sick of all the irritating phone calls to my house from MBNA, and all the junk mail. After I purged all my MBNA accounts, and ensured no one else at my house signs up for them, there's no more harassment.

So think twice before you consider them.

As for the original post, I guess it boils down to this, the Sobeys MasterCard is effectively a free Aeroplan credit card. It works out to 0.5 Aeroplan miles per $1 spent, which is the same as the CIBC Aero Classic Visa, but that card is $29 a year.

Unless you buy at Sobeys a lot (to get the double points), purely collecting Sobeys points is not a very great deal because the points would be under the 1% that PC MasterCard provides:

http://www.sobeys.com/club-sobeys/in-store-savings
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9702 posts
762 upvotes
Markham
{PolarBear} wrote: Did you ask to be removed from their marketing list? We never get any calls from MBNA or junk mail at my house.
It's been a few years ago, I don't really remember.
One of the reasons I find these forums so helpful to read is the fact that people will suggest alternatives like this. Most people asking these types of basic questions are not well informed in the first place and usually are not aware of the alternatives.

There are a lot of posts unnecessarily hyping this card, but in this case, the suggestion does seem meaningful. If someone does not want the benefit of discussion of alternative suggestions in their situation, they can specify that in their post. More often than not, you will see people do benefit from these suggestions.
That is a good point. Most people that don't go to RFD or similar sites won't know about the MBNA Smart Cash since it seems somewhat "secret" and you can't find it on their MBNA site. I guess the poster earlier is just starting to be annoyed at the overhyping of that card - that's all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2008 posts
147 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I used to be an MBNA client a couple years back (in the past, I used to have the Durham College Alumni Association MasterCard) until I went for the BMO MasterCard.

I'm not sure that if coming back to MBNA (for the SmartCash credit card) could hamper my credit report..

Anyways, I wonder if PC MasterCard have their chips "fully" enabled on their cards. As for the Club Sobeys MasterCard, there isn't any evidence if there is a chip on that card, otherwise I'm sticking on where I am.