• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2022 11:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 15, 2021
1 posts

CN railways train conductor

Hello,
I am hired as a train conductor at CN railways. They have 6 months training program.

1- The situation I have is I need off in 5 months before the last month of my training as I will be out of the country for one month because of some personal reasons. Is there anyone who has ever faced the same situation or know about the rules/regulations/policies of who to reach and how to convince them.

2- How long will it take to become a locomotive engineer. Interviewer said around 2-10 years but what's the reality check?

It will be highly appreciated if anybody can share his experience. I would have delayed it but it is a family matter and i have to be there for one month. And ca not afford losing this opportunity.
Thanks
8 replies
Feb 17, 2021
87 posts
103 upvotes
space
Hhkhan2222 wrote: Hello,
I am hired as a train conductor at CN railways. They have 6 months training program.

1- The situation I have is I need off in 5 months before the last month of my training as I will be out of the country for one month because of some personal reasons. Is there anyone who has ever faced the same situation or know about the rules/regulations/policies of who to reach and how to convince them.

They have been desparate for conductors but 5 month off? Buddy, we have a hard time to get 1 day off. They do not care about you. Its will train delays and need to keep thing moving. Its just business. If you can get 5 months off, I'll be stunned. Especially as a trainee. I don't see it happening unless you come up with an amazing story-reasoning.

I wish I had some advice but I got nothing man. You should have mentioned this at the beginning, so they might be able to push your campus date, but no idea now, it'll show mistrust and you lied and they probably won't call you back

2- How long will it take to become a locomotive engineer. Interviewer said around 2-10 years but what's the reality check?

Depends on which terminal you are hired out of. Senior terminals like Vancouver you wil be trained up in about 5 years but won't be running all year round. alot of variables, it could be 3 years to 20 years honestly

It will be highly appreciated if anybody can share his experience. I would have delayed it but it is a family matter and i have to be there for one month. And ca not afford losing this opportunity.
Thanks
[OP]
Aug 15, 2021
1 posts
No. I don’t need 5 months off.
Just one month off after 5 months of training.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Blah321 wrote:
I read that 5 months into the training, the OP will need a month off. But I could be wrong.

OP, I’d just talk to your contact there. You say that taking that time off is absolutely necessary, so it doesn’t really matter if CN likes it or not, right? Make sure they understand that you realize the magnitude of the “favour” you’re asking of them, but appeal to their human side. In the end, you may have a difficult decision to make.

C
Feb 17, 2021
87 posts
103 upvotes
space
Hhkhan2222 wrote: No. I don’t need 5 months off.
Just one month off after 5 months of training.
My bad.

What CNeufeld said talk to your contact, see if you can push training or give that month off.All you can do is ask since you absolutely need it off.

Whatever happens, just remember, its just a job. Especially this job, theres' a reason the retention is 40% or less and they pay 100,000 and up.
Jul 22, 2014
10 posts
New Delhi
I'm not into Canadian railroad but knows how things work in my country.
You can definately contact the trainer and his supervisor. Persuade them, if they are convinced, half battle is won.
All the best Khan Saab
Jul 22, 2014
10 posts
New Delhi
Agree !
BTW, they pay that much to fresh pass outs from training classes or does this figure includes various variables viz miles, yard duty, road duty ?
100K is definitely a very good to start as a career IMHO
Feb 17, 2021
87 posts
103 upvotes
space
bhardu wrote: Agree !
BTW, they pay that much to fresh pass outs from training classes or does this figure includes various variables viz miles, yard duty, road duty ?
100K is definitely a very good to start as a career IMHO
unless you work a road terminal, when things are busy all year round, you will not make 100k in your first year.

How good is your English? A good command of English is key to safety on the railroads. It's a dark stat, but pretty much a conductor a year dies on the railroads. It can be a dangerous job, and the job is unforgiving.
Jul 22, 2014
10 posts
New Delhi
Blah321 wrote: unless you work a road terminal, when things are busy all year round, you will not make 100k in your first year.

How good is your English? A good command of English is key to safety on the railroads. It's a dark stat, but pretty much a conductor a year dies on the railroads. It can be a dangerous job, and the job is unforgiving.
Certainly the job is Unforgiving. You've tonnes of $$ at stake. I think I'll be able to learn railroad lingo's fairly quick, not an issue. I am into passenger train driving (MRTS to be precise) so knows a bit of basics of railway safety. May be my RTC experience come hands as well. I'm only afraid of getting sacked, after-all you won't like to get laid off or furloughed when you have a family to feed.