• Sep 6th, 2017 11:54 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15379 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto

CNE Novelty Foods 2017 edition

Some of this year's food is starting to trickle in with the Star looking at East Coast offerings

Cod fritters

Four golden nuggets of salted cod and mashed potato with a spicy, smoked sour cream dipping sauce. They’re crispy on the outside, mushy in the inside with a salty, mashed potato flavour to them.

"Newfie" fries

These fries look like poutine, but without the squeaky cheese curds. Known as fries with "gravy and dressing" in Newfoundland, they’re doused with beef gravy and topped with a savoury stuffing made from challah bread, mushrooms, onions, sage and Italian spices.

Shrimpy corn dog

Five shrimp in thick, deep-fried corn batter served on a stick. The corn dog is deep fried to a crispy golden-brown colour and the batter is light with crunch and sweetness from the corn.

Vegan Halifax donair

Open faced, this donair has bright tomatoes, lightly pickled red onions, a vegan kebab and parsley. As far as CNE eats go, it’s on the lower end of the greasy spectrum.

Lobster and corn cup

Plump yellow corn kernels mixed with deep fried lobster served in a cup. The corn off the cob is fresh, sweet and juicy and the deep fried lobster chunks have a little spice on them.

Moules-frites

Thin, crisp fries surrounded by mussels. The mussels are flavourful from soaking in bisque made from white wine, onions, garlic, lobster broth and lemon juice.

https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/08/16 ... s-cne.html

Also a location segment on CP24 mentioned deep fried chicken feet and (separately) spaghetti balls
48 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12517 posts
3227 upvotes
What the? Where's the bacon? Where's the chocolate covered "______" ? Where's the unholy merger of 2 unrelated but equally unhealthy food items?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15379 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
CNE opens Friday and there's no food hype ... disappointed

OK they uploaded another vid

Wow. So much anxiety about chicken feet..
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
Is the black lemonade simply a lemonade that is dyed black? OR is it a different flavour?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15379 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
Blog TO has their 10 "most outrageous" foods at this year's CNE

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2017/08 ... onto-2017/

All-Canadian Red Hot Burger
This burger by Bacon Nation was inspired by Canada’s 150th birthday, with a bun made bright red with Frank’s RedHot sauce.

Last Samurai
Kind of like the movie of the same name, this ramen burger made by Yatai (a sister project of Kanpai snack bar) brings together great North American and Asian traditions by sandwiching a burger together with fried chicken and two kinds of kewpie mayo between ramen buns.

Sugar Mountain
From Cake Shack, this sweet explosion is a brownie topped with cheesecake topped with a white-chocolate-dipped sugar cone topped with a confetti donut topped with (but wait, there’s more) cotton candy, all dusted with powdered sugar. Your sweet tooth will thank you.

The Colossal Coliseum
Veal, a whole pulled pork panzerotto, cheese, jalapeno, BBQ sauce and thankfully, cooling slaw all topped with two mini brownies make up this surprisingly edible sandwich from San Francesco Foods that feeds four...or just one.

Deep Fried Chicken Feet
From Coco Concessions comes the ultimate carnival dare: crispy chicken feet skewered on a stick and deep fried. You’re sure to draw attention on the midway with one of these in hand.

Fried Mac and Curd Chimichanga
Farm to Fryer stuffs curds along with molten mac and cheese into a tortilla and deep fries the whole thing for the ultimate stretchy, cheesy, gooey hand-held snack.

The Juicy Oink
HotBunzz Street Cuizine stuffs slow-roasted pulled pork shoulder and five spice pork belly, longanisa sausage, crispy pork skin and an entire Shanghai pork soup dumpling into a bun topped with okonomoyaki sauce, Japanese mayo and honey apple slaw.

Spaghetti Donut Balls
If you can believe it, there’s not just one way to eat deep fried spaghetti. These donuts from Fritta containing balls of spaghetti come in sweet and savoury form, with chocolate ganache and cinnamon sugar or savoury tomato sauce and parmesan.

Strawberry Shortsteak
Replacing the typical bun with a massive donut, Philthy Philly’s riffs on its legendary cheesesteak topped with provolone by smothering it in strawberry sauce, icing sugar and whipped cream.

Dragon’s Breath Crepe
Eative is known for its liquid nitrogen magic acts, and ots CNE offering follows suit. This crepe on a stick is frozen using liquid nitrogen so that when eaten it creates a “dragon’s breath” effect that billows from your nose and mouth when you breathe.

I'm not outraged at all

NOW magazine has a few more

CNE fave Bacon Nation hopped on the charcoal bandwagon with the "Black Velvet" funnel cake topped with charcoal ice cream. It's a new religion that'll bring you to your knees.

Another Farm To Fryer hit: Fried cheese-stuffed Doritos.

King Of Curds got its start at a state fair in Minnesota, but I'm willing to bet their signature dish – battered, deep-fried cheese curds – will be welcomed with open arms north of the border. Get yours as a "potato-less poutine" (aka doused in gravy) or as a sweet and savoury option with maple syrup and icing sugar.

Eat My Bowls wants you to do exactly that with their pancake bowl stuffed with scrambled eggs and bacon.

It's not just for desserts: Pizza Nova is selling black carbon-crust pizza by the slice.

Fidel Gastro's went East Coast in a big way with a double-lobster patty burger.

A personal favourite: Tokyo hot chicken, melding Japanese-style fried chicken with Nashville-style spice (available as sandwiches or in boxes).

If you've got a serious sweet tooth and want to ruin some childhood memories, there's this churro ice-cream sandwich with cotton candy ice-cream and Cap'n Crunch cereal.

Last year's buggy hot dog is this year's buggy ice cream: Bug Bistro is making edible insects accessible with vanilla soft serve topped with toasted coconut and chocolate-covered crickets. (Trust me, you can't even taste the cricket.)

Street food fave Chimney Stax have some eye-popping cones, like the Cookie Monster (left) and a S'more-inspired version. Hope you've got room left.

https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/f ... 7-toronto/
Last edited by jenviea on Aug 16th, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12517 posts
3227 upvotes
jenviea wrote: Strawberry Shortsteak
Replacing the typical bun with a massive donut, Philthy Philly’s riffs on its legendary cheesesteak topped with provolone by smothering it in strawberry sauce, icing sugar and whipped cream.

There's the unholy merger of 2 unrelated but equally unhealthy food items that I was looking for.... this one took it to the next level.
jenviea wrote: Sugar Mountain
From Cake Shack, this sweet explosion is a brownie topped with cheesecake topped with a white-chocolate-dipped sugar cone topped with a confetti donut topped with (but wait, there’s more) cotton candy, all dusted with powdered sugar. Your sweet tooth will thank you.

Who thought of this? A 5 year old? It even looks like a 5 year old assembled it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
SO Nobody knows what flavour the black lemonade is? Or is it just regular lemonade dyed black?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15097 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'm guessing coke lemonade.
playnicee1 wrote: SO Nobody knows what flavour the black lemonade is? Or is it just regular lemonade dyed black?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7451 posts
2410 upvotes
Richmond Hill
playnicee1 wrote: SO Nobody knows what flavour the black lemonade is? Or is it just regular lemonade dyed black?
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I'm guessing coke lemonade.
im guessing lemonade with charcoal added to it
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote: im guessing lemonade with charcoal added to it
You are correct. It's not in the Food building though. It's in one of the outside booths (Midway, I believe) owned by Bacon Nation, but the booth operates under a different name.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
Tasting the wacky food at the CNE
One of the main draws at the CNE is the food. We take a look at some of the creative treats people are enjoying at The Ex — from liquid nitrogen crepes to spaghetti donut balls.

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1200 posts
133 upvotes
Markham
Thank you for the informative post ! I'm drooling over the deep fried cheese curds lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
9348 posts
1317 upvotes
Toronto
All of this can be found in the food building?
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3611 posts
159 upvotes
GTA
I had the spaghetti balls yesterday and I was underwhelmed. Very doughy and dry. Couldn't even finish it. $10 for 2...I would skip on it if I were you.
Aug 18, 2013
419 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of these novelty food looks like the vendor was trying to think of what would be the most IG worthy looking food rather than what tastes good. The mash up of that brownie + sugar cone + donut is plain dumb. I think trying to think of ridiculous food is alright, but make sure it tastes good! That being said, the squeeky cheese curds looks good, not sure if it will be worth $10 though
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
elton5354 wrote: I had the spaghetti balls yesterday and I was underwhelmed. Very doughy and dry. Couldn't even finish it. $10 for 2...I would skip on it if I were you.
Thanks. I was going to try only one. lol
They have a few different balls though...maybe try a different one?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6859 upvotes
Toronto
between wrote: A lot of these novelty food looks like the vendor was trying to think of what would be the most IG worthy looking food rather than what tastes good. The mash up of that brownie + sugar cone + donut is plain dumb. I think trying to think of ridiculous food is alright, but make sure it tastes good! That being said, the squeeky cheese curds looks good, not sure if it will be worth $10 though
The idea is to catch the eye at a time when there is just too much competition.
Some ideas fail and become a sad fad.
I see the pineapple burger (where the pineapple is the bun) is not back this year
but other replacements for the bun are back, like the beef patty burger and the ramen burger. (where the noodles are the bun)
The ramen burger is went one step further with beef and chicken this year... (instead of just beef)

From Jenviea's post (page 1):

Last Samurai
Kind of like the movie of the same name, this ramen burger made by Yatai (a sister project of Kanpai snack bar) brings together great North American and Asian traditions by sandwiching a burger together with fried chicken and two kinds of kewpie mayo between ramen buns.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15379 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
Lest Torontonians be accused of self centredness, let's throw some love to the west coast with a look at some of the PNE's fair foods

Chicky’s Chicken – Canadian Bacon Pickle Balls

Bacon is wrapped around a hot dog and pickle, cut in half, battered and then deep dried. Each is served on a stick.

Corndog King – Maple Bacon Corndog

The Maple Bacon Corndog is a Real Canadian twist on a fair classic. Starting with the original Corndog King batter, infused maple chunks of premium center cut bacon to give it a sweet, salty and smoky crunch. This corndog includes a side of 100% real Canadian Maple Syrup for your dunking pleasure!

Prairie’s Smoke and Bone BBQ – Maple Bacon Cornbread

This honey-scented cornbread is baked on site with the flavor of sweet Quebec maple syrup infused throughout the batter. Mix in real Alberta bacon for a smoky, porky, salty accent to this delicious bread.

Funnel Cakes – Funnel Cake Poutine

Signature Pennsylvania Dutch Funnel Cake with a Canadian twist, you can’t go wrong with cheese and gravy.

Maple Bacon Ice Cream

Rocky Point Ice Cream’s creamy Canadian maple syrup base with locally sourced bacon that’s candied in brown sugar, chopped, and sprinkled throughout.

http://blog.pne.ca/2017/08/18/canada-15 ... oods-2017/

DBL Bacon Mac N’ Cheese Super Footlong Hotdog

Cricket Fries

Roasted BBQ Cricket Burger

Crispy Chicken Feet on a Stick

Chili Lime Popcorn Shrimp Perogies

Deep Fried Jello

Deep Fried Pizza Bites

Risotto Balls

Prague Cones and Chimney Cakes

2-Foot-Long Grilled Chicken Skewer

Rolled Ice Cream Waffle Taco