• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 2:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
292 posts
67 upvotes

Co-operators En-route Question

Is there any one use the App do reduce the insurance?
I have to drive highway everyday, and the avg. speed is 110km. I want to know if this app will determine I am speeding?

I check the website and it shows the data may be used to investigate, defend or settle a claim you make.

Should I enrol this program?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
How are they going to know your location? It is legal to go 110km/h in some parts of the country. When I had one years ago that plugged into the OBD2 port, it only tracked the times and kms driven. That being said, I went out once in the 6 months of driving after midnight and was penalized for it, haha.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35543 posts
21600 upvotes
Center of Universe
fusion2k2k wrote: How are they going to know your location? It is legal to go 110km/h in some parts of the country. When I had one years ago that plugged into the OBD2 port, it only tracked the times and kms driven. That being said, I went out once in the 6 months of driving after midnight and was penalized for it, haha.
You connect it with your phone.
Last edited by vkizzle on Apr 3rd, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: You connect it your phone.
I still find it tough for them to know the speed limit of every single road. Yes 110km/h is a concern but say you were doing 100 in an 80 zone? I don't believe GPS is accurate enough to say you are on the 403 vs a service road for example. Regardless it's not like they can ticket you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35543 posts
21600 upvotes
Center of Universe
fusion2k2k wrote: I still find it tough for them to know the speed limit of every single road. Yes 110km/h is a concern but say you were doing 100 in an 80 zone? I don't believe GPS is accurate enough to say you are on the 403 vs a service road for example. Regardless it's not like they can ticket you.
This is big brother type monitoring.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
292 posts
67 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote: I still find it tough for them to know the speed limit of every single road. Yes 110km/h is a concern but say you were doing 100 in an 80 zone? I don't believe GPS is accurate enough to say you are on the 403 vs a service road for example. Regardless it's not like they can ticket you.
The website said the data will be used to investigate, defend or settle a claim you make. If you have a non-fault claim and speeding 10km/h, do you think it may affect your insurance?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: This is big brother type monitoring.
Yes but it's optional. Don't like it, don't bother. But also you don't get the discount for it. They aren't going to watch your every move, they just gather large data and use it.
ericW123 wrote: The website said the data will be used to investigate, defend or settle a claim you make. If you have a non-fault claim and speeding 10km/h, do you think it may affect your insurance?
I highly doubt it'll get that precise. It's more to prevent fraud, you stage an accident and the data (time/location) doesn't add up. Speeding doesn't raise your insurance, some companies even forgive a ticket or two. I can't speak for your exact company/policy but back when I had it, you got 10% discount off the hop for using the device. They could potentionally take part or all of that discount away, but it could never bring the rest of your premium up or cancelled based on data.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35543 posts
21600 upvotes
Center of Universe
fusion2k2k wrote: Yes but it's optional. Don't like it, don't bother. But also you don't get the discount for it. They aren't going to watch your every move, they just gather large data and use it.

I highly doubt it'll get that precise. It's more to prevent fraud, you stage an accident and the data (time/location) doesn't add up. Speeding doesn't raise your insurance, some companies even forgive a ticket or two. I can't speak for your exact company/policy but back when I had it, you got 10% discount off the hop for using the device. They could potentionally take part or all of that discount away, but it could never bring the rest of your premium up or cancelled based on data.
I use to be insured with Cooperators and would never use such devices, unless the savings is min of 50%.
Aug 8, 2016
23 posts
6 upvotes
I am insured with Co-op and 3 of my 5 vehicles have En-route installed. While I agree the GPS tracking isn't exactly precise, the device provides the insurance company enough data to determine whether you are on 401 or a side street given your route and speed. I used to watch my speed diligently and braked as gently as I could when the devices were installed. It has been 3 years and I don't care anymore. I drive the way I always do now, never thinking I have an device installed. I still get discount from 15 to 25% among the 3 vehicles. Speed may have reduced my discount slightly but it is still a discount. Premium does not increase because you speed. Some people think it is a big brother monitoring device. Frankly, we are being monitored one way or another. There are numerous cameras everywhere. If enabled, Google tracks me wherever I go. If you use any navigation device, you are kind of tracked as well, I guess. If you want to minimize being monitored, it is your choice not to enrol. But for me, it saves me money years after years! I have not had any claims since the devices were installed. I am not sure exactly how they use the data to determine your future premium should I file a claim in the future.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
292 posts
67 upvotes
ZeroGas wrote: I am insured with Co-op and 3 of my 5 vehicles have En-route installed. While I agree the GPS tracking isn't exactly precise, the device provides the insurance company enough data to determine whether you are on 401 or a side street given your route and speed. I used to watch my speed diligently and braked as gently as I could when the devices were installed. It has been 3 years and I don't care anymore. I drive the way I always do now, never thinking I have an device installed. I still get discount from 15 to 25% among the 3 vehicles. Speed may have reduced my discount slightly but it is still a discount. Premium does not increase because you speed. Some people think it is a big brother monitoring device. Frankly, we are being monitored one way or another. There are numerous cameras everywhere. If enabled, Google tracks me wherever I go. If you use any navigation device, you are kind of tracked as well, I guess. If you want to minimize being monitored, it is your choice not to enrol. But for me, it saves me money years after years! I have not had any claims since the devices were installed. I am not sure exactly how they use the data to determine your future premium should I file a claim in the future.
For now, Co-operators use a App to monitor your speed. If you take a bus or other vehicle, you should manually delete the trip from the App.
BTW, do you think the old device tracks over speed? Or only the acceleration and break?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
ericW123 wrote: Is there any one use the App do reduce the insurance?
I have to drive highway everyday, and the avg. speed is 110km. I want to know if this app will determine I am speeding?

I check the website and it shows the data may be used to investigate, defend or settle a claim you make.

Should I enrol this program?
The only reason they offer this because it saves them money. Do not let them monitor your driving.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
292 posts
67 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: The only reason they offer this because it saves them money. Do not let them monitor your driving.
Do you mean when I need claim any thing, they will use the data and reject the claim?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
ericW123 wrote: Do you mean when I need claim any thing, they will use the data and reject the claim?
They will use the data at renewal time.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
292 posts
67 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: They will use the data at renewal time.
It means even they said your price will not increase, but at renew time, it still may be increase. Is that correct?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
ericW123 wrote: It means even they said your price will not increase, but at renew time, it still may be increase. Is that correct?
They can say whatever they want. If you are a perfect driver you shouldn't see an increase but if they detect any excessive speed, excessive braking they will increase your rates. I consider myself a pretty good driver and will not install one of these devices.
Aug 8, 2016
23 posts
6 upvotes
ericW123 wrote: For now, Co-operators use a App to monitor your speed. If you take a bus or other vehicle, you should manually delete the trip from the App.
BTW, do you think the old device tracks over speed? Or only the acceleration and break?
I did not know Co-op has switched to an App based monitoring. Essentially, the old device tracks exactly what the App tracks except the device tracks the car rather than the driver. It seems with the App, you can delete whatever trips you don't want to count. That seems odd if you can manipulate the data. I used to get lots of notification for going over a self-set speed limit, too quick acceleration or braking too hard. I gradually increase my self set speed limit, but I stopped at 140. Now I simply turned off all these notification as they are getting annoying.
Aug 8, 2016
23 posts
6 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: They can say whatever they want. If you are a perfect driver you shouldn't see an increase but if they detect any excessive speed, excessive braking they will increase your rates. I consider myself a pretty good driver and will not install one of these devices.
This is not my experience for the last 3 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
ZeroGas wrote: This is not my experience for the last 3 years.
That's good you must drive within their parameters.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Everyone is in a different situation. If you don't want to use the device and don't want the discount, fine. If you do, that's fine too. In my opinion insurance is too expensive as it is so having an extra discount is a good thing. But if you drive like a crazy person all the time then no you shouldn't get it.

When I had the device for 6 mos a few years ago, I got minimal discounts, so it wasn't worth it for me. But I had a feeling it's because I was driving over 30,000kms a year so it brought my rating down.

YMMV, don't convince others to do what you did because everyone has a different opinion.
Dec 23, 2010
251 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Insurance is heavily regulated. The information collected is only used to determine how safe you are and provide a discount, it is not used to penalize.

The switch to app instead of OBD is to decrease cost of running the program. Yes, it is easy to manipulate as well, just "delete" all the trips where you have low score.

No matter how you drive, you'll get a 5% just by enrolling.