• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2018 7:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1655 posts
750 upvotes

coconut cream or thick coconut milk

So it seems like every time I buy coconut milk it is very think and there is not much cream at the top. does anyone know where or what brand to buy?
Got that Zoomer account!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8300 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto
I have not bought coconut milk in a while but I'd usually spend some time and read the cans to see the percentage of coconut milk used.
You can shake it as well. I don't much like the hard coconut cream sold like cream cheese.
If I did not have the time to check percentage of coconut milk on each brand and figure out best bang for the buck, I'd usually go with this brand.

http://www.lambrothers.com.au/web/index ... ilk-detail
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2933 posts
752 upvotes
Mississauga
Wholefoods 365 Organic. After I tried this, not going back to anything else.
About half always sets solid in the fridge overnight. The rest becomes drinking water.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1655 posts
750 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 12:43 pm
Wholefoods 365 Organic. After I tried this, not going back to anything else.
About half always sets solid in the fridge overnight. The rest becomes drinking water.
thanks, this is what I was looking for. like when I make a panang curry or something like that, I want to have a thick coconut sauce.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1632 posts
901 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Make sure you buying the higher or regular fat and not the light. Also, check the ingredients the ones that just list coconut milk with no fillers has the the most cream. I can’t rememebr the good brands but rooster is not one of them if you want the cream.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9575 posts
1266 upvotes
Oh I wonder if Wholefoods 365 Organic is good enough to make coconut ice cream
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1655 posts
750 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 1:28 pm
Oh I wonder if Wholefoods 365 Organic is good enough to make coconut ice cream
yea, anyone ever tried it? What is involved in making that?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2933 posts
752 upvotes
Mississauga
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 2:50 pm
yea, anyone ever tried it? What is involved in making that?
Yeap. Just last week I made Tiramisu and used coconut cream. Made the cream with couple of cans of WF 365 milk. Whipped up real nice.
Not the lite stuff. Like I said before, it sets real good.

In my KitchenAid with the whipping attachment. Do the same thing as you would with whipping cream. No difference.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5489 posts
872 upvotes
Toronto
For Pina coladas I usually buy coconut milk instead of cream of coconut which I find way too sweet. I just keep skimming the cream on top.

Saying that OP, I never had your problem unless the can was shaken or somehow agetated. After I skim the cream on top I put the can in the fridge for more cream to form. After I can't get much cream I just drink the watery milk.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3287 posts
1957 upvotes
North Vancouver
I like Aroy-D. It's the only brand I've found with no fillers or preservatives.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5769 posts
2360 upvotes
I like Aroy-D too...I buy the coconut milk "for dessert" variety and it is a bit thicker. They also offer a handy 165ml size.
Dec 8, 2015
141 posts
62 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 11:39 am
So it seems like every time I buy coconut milk it is very think and there is not much cream at the top. does anyone know where or what brand to buy?
Thai Kitchen brand very thick and lovely, costs a little more but worth it.