Computers & Electronics

CODA-4582 - To bridge or not to bridge...that is the question...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 5:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 13, 2013
158 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa

CODA-4582 - To bridge or not to bridge...that is the question...

Just looking for some information from somebody who knows more about this stuff than me!

I recently signed up for the Rogers Ignite 500u package and picked up the Gigabit modem (CODA-4582). Things seem to be running ok so far (it's only been a day...) however, I'm looking for advice on whether I should bridge this modem and use my own router or simply use the wi-fi built into the modem. When I spoke to the Rogers rep, he was insistent that I didn't need to bridge it as the wi-fi capabilities are apparently outstanding on this modem. I know when I had the older modem with Rogers (Hitron CGN), I had to buy a booster for my upstairs because the wi-fi was terrible on the second floor.

My router is the TP-Link AC1900 (this exact model: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Touchscre ... rds=ac1900); any advice on this? What are some pros and cons of bridging and pros and cons of not bridging?

In case it matters, I'm in a 2 story house and the modem is in the basement.

Thanks for any advice! :)
4 replies
May 21, 2008
809 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa
I got the same modem when I signed up for Gigabit service. I tested the modem for couple of days in router mode and then couple of days in bridge mode. For some reason it was better in bridge mode for me. I am using my old router Asus rtn56u. I guess you can try the same thing and see which one works better for you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6796 posts
3086 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If working for you then don't bridge.

We have same modem in bridged mode and using TP link C1900... working well for us.

Note that if do bridge then different ip address to login [don't remember offhand, have written at home]
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4466 posts
700 upvotes
georvu wrote: If working for you then don't bridge.

We have same modem in bridged mode and using TP link C1900... working well for us.

Note that if do bridge then different ip address to login [don't remember offhand, have written at home]

Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3609 posts
954 upvotes
I'm on gigabit and bridge mine for a few months now with no issues.

In router mode i was pulling in 950mbps but bridged it's 850mbps, not the modems fault but rather my router. 100mbps is literally unnoticeable i much perfer full control over my network.