Food & Drink

Which coffee grinder should I get?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2020 9:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga

Which coffee grinder should I get?

Here are the two coffee grinders I'm looking at. Both are Krups. Which one should I get?
I know burr grinders are better, however I'm not sure if I can justify the price for making coffee for maximum two people, and not necessarily every day. However, the burr grinder is a good price.
The other steel blade is a great price as well, and highly rated when it comes to steel blade grinders...

https://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/krups- ... ee-grinder
https://www.amazon.ca/Electric-Coffee-G ... +gr&sr=8-4
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
22 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
Burr grinder hands down. Blade grinders are for spices, not coffee.

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and I grind coffee weekly (with my Cuisinart burr grinder) to store in an airtight container. I can't be bothered grinding each time I want to make French press, Turkish, or moka pot coffee, so this is a happy medium between doing that or grinding way too much coffee in advance so it goes bad.
(I have a Nespresso for my espresso shot fix).
Member
Jan 22, 2017
365 posts
232 upvotes
GTA
The Krups blade grinder you posted is great for a blade grinder.

I know nothing about that specific Krups burr grinder but I am skeptical based on its low price.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
The burr grinder is showing as a much higher price on Amazon. .

https://www.amazon.ca/Krups-GVX2-Expert ... ups&sr=8-2

I don't need a large grinder (just enough for a couple of cups at a time). And I wouldn't be using every day.

Would you recommend something else that's not wildly priced for occasional use?

I also saw a Bodum Bistro burr grinder.
https://www.bodum.com/ca/en/11750-01us- ... tore=ca_en
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3958 posts
1836 upvotes
Mississauga
I have this for few years now. Its simply excellent. Adjust the ground size to your needs (french press, espresso etc.)
If you are not going to go for a grinder, either buy pre-ground fresh coffee or throw beans into a vitamix / nutribullet.

Sr. Member
Oct 3, 2017
889 posts
725 upvotes
The question not answered is how (what method) do you prepare your coffee?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
George613 wrote: The question not answered is how (what method) do you prepare your coffee?
I have various - regular one cup coffee maker which is my regular go to, Moka pot, and French press. I like the Allegro Coffee from Whole Foods; want to start buying the beans instead of ground.
Last edited by Raggie on Dec 29th, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I have this for few years now. Its simply excellent. Adjust the ground size to your needs (french press, espresso etc.)
If you are not going to go for a grinder, either buy pre-ground fresh coffee or throw beans into a vitamix / nutribullet.

Which one do you have? I'm tempted to try out my Magic Bullet.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4728 posts
1693 upvotes
I picked up the Cuisinart DELUXE GRIND CONICAL BURR MILL - CBM-20C when I found it at Winners for $45+HST ...

Awesome machine. Stored in the basement when not in use in my custom-made storage shelf under the electrical panel.

IMG_20201227_210930.jpg
Last edited by jdmfishingonly on Dec 27th, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
25399 posts
4512 upvotes
If you use a french press, you're wasting your money on a blade grinder. Get a burr grinder or buy pre-ground.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
jdmfishingonly wrote: I picked up the Cuisinart DELUXE GRIND CONICAL BURR MILL - CBM-20C when I found it at Winners for $45+HST ...

Awesome machine. Stored in the basement when not in use in my custom-made storage shelf under the electrical panel.


IMG_20201227_210930.jpg
That's the price I want to pay Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes!
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
6229 posts
638 upvotes
BC
I find its better to get one that gives you a consistent grind. The small spice/coffee grinders do grind, but you never get the same grind twice, and that will depend on how you are making your coffee.

Personally I would go with a burr type that you can set, and press a button. I've had a few over the years and some are big and noisy... I went with a Braun that is small and very quiet compared to others I've had. Its a little more than what you posted but still less then $100. I got mine cheapest at BB&B using the 20% off coupon, for about $80 total.

If youre not too concerned about the fineness of the grind then the Cuisinart at Costco is a pretty good value for ~$40, maybe sale price?? But its really loud.
That's my 2cents worth
Sr. Member
Mar 15, 2007
531 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
As a "food critic", you should hold yourself to the same standard you would one of the establishments you eat at. Don't buy something you know will make a worse product to save... $50.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
nonlinear wrote: As a "food critic", you should hold yourself to the same standard you would one of the establishments you eat at. Don't buy something you know will make a worse product to save... $50.
I don't believe the cost of something determines its quality. That goes for material items and food. I love to eat cheap food. And I don't want to spend $200 for at most two people for occasional use. And if I can save $50, why not??
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Sr. Member
Mar 15, 2007
531 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: I don't believe the cost of something determines its quality. That goes for material items and food. I love to eat cheap food. And I don't want to spend $200 for at most two people for occasional use. And if I can save $50, why not??
Well you certainly are a virtuous person, but I'm not sure what your point is. You already know that, in this case, the more expensive thing is the higher quality thing. You said as much in your original post, remember?
Raggie wrote:
Here are the two coffee grinders I'm looking at. Both are Krups. Which one should I get?
I know burr grinders are better, however I'm not sure if I can justify the price for making coffee for maximum two people, and not necessarily every day. However, the burr grinder is a good price.
The other steel blade is a great price as well, and highly rated when it comes to steel blade grinders...
I'm not sure where $200 comes from, the burr grinder you linked to is $68.

And, in addition to not originally spelling out how you prepare your coffee, you have failed to mention what "occasional use" means? Once every other day? Once every week? Once every month?

How do you expect the good people of RFD help you to "justify the cost"? We can simply tell you which one makes a better coffee.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
nonlinear wrote: Well you certainly are a virtuous person, but I'm not sure what your point is. You already know that, in this case, the more expensive thing is the higher quality thing. You said as much in your original post, remember?

I'm not sure where $200 comes from, the burr grinder you linked to is $68.

And, in addition to not originally spelling out how you prepare your coffee, you have failed to mention what "occasional use" means? Once every other day? Once every week? Once every month?

How do you expect the good people of RFD help you to "justify the cost"? We can simply tell you which one makes a better coffee.
Ok
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5797 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto
I upgraded my blade grinder to a Baratza Encore for $200 this summer as I was making coffee at home more often. Best purchase I made this year. Yes, it took some convincing to my SO spending that much on the grinder. After purchase I let the coffee do the talking.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11707 posts
1587 upvotes
Get something better. Even occasional use is worth it and it lasts a long time.

Top