Food & Drink

Coffee @ home - Nespresso or Keurig?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 1:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2003
1641 posts
200 upvotes
C-53

Coffee @ home - Nespresso or Keurig?

RFD,

I'm deciding between a Keurig or Nespresso. Your feedback is appreciated.

I am leaning towards a Keurig at this time but still undecided. Plan to buy in the coming 2 weeks.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
69 replies
Newbie
Jan 13, 2011
98 posts
307 upvotes
Scarborough
I have both Nespresso Vertuo and Keurig.

In terms of cost per coffee, Keurig is much cheaper and because they allow 3rd party capsules, it also has more variety. Depending on the capsule brand you buy, it cost around $0.50-$0.80 per cup and even cheaper if you buy on sale or buy discounted near expiry capsules. Keurig also has a "DIY" re-usable capsule where you can add your own ground coffee (I've never tried this so can't comment on the quality of the drink).

Nespresso Vertuo on the other hand doesn't allow 3rd party capsules and is rarely on sale. Their capsules cost anywhere between $1-$1.12 per capsule so significantly more expensive than Keurig. I could be wrong but I don't think many retailers carry Nespresso capsules so you basically have to order from their website. Shipping is usually fast and there is a minimum purchase for free shipping.

In terms of the quality of the drink, I'm not a picky coffee drinker but I find Nespresso much higher quality than Keurig. Keurig drinks I find are noticeably worst than chains like Tim Hortons, McDonalds, & Starbucks. The qualitys like between instant coffee and store bought. Keurig coffee taste a bit weak to me but I'm not picky so I don't mind and its convenient. Nespresso has much stronger tasting coffee in general and is more comparable to store bought coffee.

Basically if you care about the taste of your coffee and don't mind the premium cost, get a Nespresso machine. If you just drink coffee for the caffeine or care about costs, get the Keurig.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4384 upvotes
Also note there are 2 Nespresso systems, Original and Vertuo. There are a lot of third party capsules for the Original; for example Costco sells a 60-pack of Starbucks branded Nespresso Original capsules. I've seen Lavazza-branded Nespresso capsules at Walmart!
I'd avoid the Vertuo machines myself given the lack of third party options (that I know of).

I'd run, not walk, away from Keurig. Useless piece of shit and a waste of kitchen space. I provide several links explaining why, here: looking-c-good-c-coffee-maker-2258255/2/#p30466329
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jul 10th, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
If you love coffee, why not go with a REAL coffeemaker? The small amount of extra effort is totally worth it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
Had a Keurig in unviersity as it was cheap and soooo many coffee options, but it's really just a glorified ground coffee maker so if you are into drip coffee only then it's fine . I now have a Nespresso Original line machine with their milk frother, you can make all kinds of espresso based drinks. More expensive? Yes, but its a lot cheaper than coffee shops. Also taste is rich with diff intensity and flavors to try.

They most recently had a summer sale that had the machine at $30 or something if you buy 350 pods. A bit much for myself but if you have a family of coffee drinkers it's not out of this world.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19645 posts
6582 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I'd run, not walk, away from Keurig.
One has to wonder why, if Keurig is worth running away from, many big name brands, and others who choose to be "the best" have gone ahead and put their coffee in a K cup rather than simply decide that they are too good for a Keurig.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Newbie
Jul 9, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Neither! Think of the waste you are producing with each pod. They are not recycled (even if they claim it is possible). Try a pour-over, drip coffee maker or stove top "moka pot" for better coffee and less or no waste.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4384 upvotes
choclover wrote: If you love coffee, why not go with a REAL coffeemaker? The small amount of extra effort is totally worth it.
If the choice is only between Keurig and Nespresso, the only right answer is Nespresso Original Line. Plenty of proof here: looking-c-good-c-coffee-maker-2258255/2/#p30466329

However, for low budget, high speed home brewing I'm a French press fan all the way. It's what I use every day in winter, while in the summer I use it to make cold brew concentrate (to keep in the fridge ready for use).
I also do moka pot and Turkish coffee. I won't do home espresso until I can get a superautomatic (which means probably never).
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4384 upvotes
Goose12345 wrote: Had a Keurig in unviersity as it was cheap and soooo many coffee options, but it's really just a glorified ground coffee maker so if you are into drip coffee only then it's fine
And it doesn't even do that right. Water not hot enough, extraction/immersion time way too fast.
The tea equivalent would be dunking a tea bag in hot tap water for 1 second and calling that a proper brew. That's the Keurig system in a nutshell.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
choclover wrote: If you love coffee, why not go with a REAL coffeemaker? The small amount of extra effort is totally worth it.
I'm not sure most people love coffee. They're more in love with the effects (ie caffeine) and speed of acquisition.
playnicee1 wrote: One has to wonder why, if Keurig is worth running away from, many big name brands, and others who choose to be "the best" have gone ahead and put their coffee in a K cup rather than simply decide that they are too good for a Keurig.
Image

I'm not sure what licensing from keurig costs (especially with the new DRM) but considering a pod is basically FIFTY DUCKING CENTS for something that I'd be surprised if it costs half a cent for the actual coffee, someone is making a killing on it.
100 cups of coffee for $50? You bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to sell out and get in on selling to suckers.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 7, 2007
1327 posts
244 upvotes
Nespresso by a landslide in terms of taste, reliability.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1024 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you're on a tight budget and like quick caffeine rush (as previously mentioned), Keurig would do. The temperature is off and so is the taste.

However, if you're looking for great tasting coffee and can spare 5 minutes, go with other options. Economical options include pour-over, french press and aeropress.

I have Nespresso Original and use it for espressos and americanos. Don't think it makes brewed coffee.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4384 upvotes
Shop-a-holic wrote: If you're on a tight budget and like quick caffeine rush (as previously mentioned), Keurig would do. The temperature is off and so is the taste.
However, if you're looking for great tasting coffee and can spare 5 minutes, go with other options. Economical options include pour-over, french press and aeropress.
I have Nespresso Original and use it for espressos and americanos. Don't think it makes brewed coffee.
I'd argue that "tight budget" calls for French press, not Keurig.

This week Costco has 1 kg bags of Lavazza coffee beans on sale for $11. That weight in K-cups will cost a lot more than $11 and the bean quality will be poor (given it was ground months ago).

As @death_hawk pointed out, somebody is making a killing... yeah, Keurig Dr. Pepper Inc....
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jul 11th, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7214 posts
2241 upvotes
0 downvotes
I stick with the Keureg version of the coffee maker. The simple reason is It is NOT worth it to brew a pot of coffee, even a small pot for just one coffee drinker, lots of waste ,and i want to save the planet no im not a Guretta Thunderberg but I do my share at cutting waste and yes the Keurig Kay cups are perfect for a morning coffee before I start work. Some of them are recyclable and compostable, even the President's Choice ones I believe.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1024 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I'd argue that "tight budget" calls for French press, not Keurig.

This week Costco has 1 kg bags of Lavazza coffee beans on sale for $11. That weight in K-cups will cost a lot more than $11 and the bean quality will be poor (given it was ground months ago).

As @death_hawk pointed out, somebody is making a killing... yeah, Keurig Dr. Pepper Inc....
Agreed. However, if someone's looking for press and play kinda coffee where taste and temperature isn't top priority then Keurig may do.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: The simple reason is It is NOT worth it to brew a pot of coffee, even a small pot for just one coffee drinker, lots of waste ,and i want to save the planet no im not a Guretta Thunderberg but I do my share at cutting waste and yes the Keurig Kay cups are perfect for a morning coffee before I start work. Some of them are recyclable and compostable, even the President's Choice ones I believe.
This to me is irony at its best.

While I'm not an expert at recycling, it seems to be that dumping something made of a renewable resource (coffee and water) is FAR more responsible than trying to recycle the disaster of a waste stream that is a plastic pod and the foil lid. Not to mention the bunch of boxes it takes to house the volume of K-cups you need relative to the waste of a single bag for 1kg of beans.
I'm not quite up to date on what the pods are made of now but I do know that due to the 2 different materials (the foil and the plastic) they typically weren't accepted in either bin without separation.
Even after separation, some municipalities still didn't accept them in the recycling/composting stream.

I think the 3 Rs were in order where you're supposed to reduce first. If that's not possible, then reuse. If finally none of these are possible, then you're supposed to recycle.

So yes, while dumping a pot of coffee is wasteful, to me it seems far less wasteful compared to what basically amounts to tossing a bunch of mixed waste

And this is coming from someone that DEFINITELY isn't the greenest person in the world. I use disposable plastic packaging all the time (I own a chamber vacuum sealer)

Besides... wouldn't something like a French Press be more suitable for a small batch of coffee? This would even negate dumping of coffee.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 26, 2002
6472 posts
830 upvotes
BC
I used to have a mini keurig that I could take places when needed. It was great for camping, b&b's, etc. I've been looking to replace it and came across this the other day... might be the best of both in one? There are some good reviews and for the $100 at costco I think I'm gonna give it a try.

https://www.costco.ca/chefman-froth-and ... 95991.html
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7226 posts
6406 upvotes
Keelie wrote: I used to have a mini keurig that I could take places when needed. It was great for camping, b&b's, etc. I've been looking to replace it and came across this the other day... might be the best of both in one? There are some good reviews and for the $100 at costco I think I'm gonna give it a try.

https://www.costco.ca/chefman-froth-and ... 95991.html
If you want small and portable, just get pour over. That's what I bring on trips

Top