Coffee @ home - Nespresso or Keurig?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 1:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
StatsGuy wrote: If you want small and portable, just get pour over. That's what I bring on trips
Not a fan of pour over, not a fan of french press.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20565 posts
9082 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly get a drip coffee machine and buy the beans from Costco. Keurig coffee is very weak and Nespresso is too expensive.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: If you want small and portable, just get pour over. That's what I bring on trips
I use this French press for work and on trips... got it for a lot cheaper than the Amazon.CA price though:
https://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Travel-Fr ... B07L6N6JC4
It really holds heat well. Purists might argue it overextracts if you use it as a travel mug since the water is in contact with the grounds for way too long.
If I have an early morning shift I'll grind the beans the night before and put them in. In the morning, boil water using kettle, pour into the Stanley, stir, wait a minute, plunge, tighten, walk to car. On trips it's a lot better than the coffee they provide in hotel rooms or at the free breakfasts.

And to address @GoodFellaz's concern, I'm the only coffee drinker in this house (wife hates coffee, prefers tea). It would be pointless for me to have a regular drip coffee maker that makes a pot at a time, more coffee than I would want to drink within a reasonable time. French presses (and single-mug pourover rigs, and smaller sized moka pots, and Turkish coffee pots...) solve that problem. Just because you don't need to brew large pots of coffee, does NOT mean you need to settle for Keurig crap in order to brew one cup. I actually have the smallest size Bodum press specifically for this purpose, if all I want is one small cup.
Keelie wrote: Not a fan of pour over, not a fan of french press.
Then what are you a fan of? If your answer includes any of "Keurig" or "Tim Hortons" you don't know nor like coffee.
carmaster wrote: Honestly get a drip coffee machine and buy the beans from Costco. Keurig coffee is very weak and Nespresso is too expensive.
If you think about it, a drip machine is really just an automated form of pourover. No argument on buying beans from Costco, I like to grab the Level Ground beans when they're on sale. But that Lavazza deal right now is really good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:

Then what are you a fan of? If your answer includes any of "Keurig" or "Tim Hortons" you don't know nor like coffee.
I do know coffee, and I do like coffee.

At home I use a Breville Espresso machine. I have an electric Bialetti Moka Pot that is portable, but I'm not really enjoying the coffee any longer.. I do like the Kirkland Bold k cups for the keurig, they make a good cup of coffee on a smaller cup setting. Do I want it every day, no.

Once or twice a year I eat Kraft dinner too.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
Keelie wrote: I do know coffee, and I do like coffee.
At home I use a Breville Espresso machine.
If you already have a superautomatic Breville you have no need for Keurig. You already have speed AND quality on your side.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6497 posts
865 upvotes
BC
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you already have a superautomatic Breville you have no need for Keurig. You already have speed AND quality on your side.
Correct. I would be getting the small keurig to take places with me, as said in my post.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11178 posts
4438 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: RFD,

I'm deciding between a Keurig or Nespresso. Your feedback is appreciated.

I am leaning towards a Keurig at this time but still undecided. Plan to buy in the coming 2 weeks.
is the quality of the cup of coffee important to you? if so I would look at alternatives like pour over or aeropress
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1651 posts
209 upvotes
C-53
You know, I would have never gotten all this information on my own.

I can't thank all of you who posted enough :)

==> PS this is a birthday gift for someone and .. yes I will get her a Nespresso thing.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: ==> PS this is a birthday gift for someone and .. yes I will get her a Nespresso thing.
Glad I was able to keep you (and her) away from the "dark side" of Keurig... just remember, make sure it's an Original Line machine and NOT Vertuo Line. Vertuo's go on sale a lot more often (it's often a Costco roadshow item) because... you're a lot more locked in, you'll be stuck buying only Nespresso pods for it. Original Line you have lots of third party sources for pods.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
I have both,

Keurig for my morning coffee and Nespresso for my afternoon refreshment (not Daily). .
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7544 posts
2461 upvotes
0 downvotes
Who ever said the keurig Kay cups are bad, there is not much waste in the keurig Kay cups these days. I bought a pack of Kay cups from Loblaws: Presidents Choice Kay cups, and when your done you PEEL the pod out of the plastic shell, and toss it in the compost, the plastic part is clean and has no grounds or grinds in it, you can toss it in the blue box and in all honestly if u want to minimize the waste, 12 empty kay cups can be tucked up into one another before you toss them in the blue box and they will be SMALLER in size than the plastic coffee bag that regular grinds come in, so let that be a lesson learnd. and regular coffee you buy in bags the bags can not be recycled, so now what have you got to say about this @ death_hawk?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1651 posts
209 upvotes
C-53
Update: Bought the citiz Nespresso machine. Love it!

You know seriously the coffee is out standing!
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8033 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
doomhammer wrote: Update: Bought the citiz Nespresso machine. Love it!

You know seriously the coffee is out standing!
Nespresso pods is 2x more expensive than k-cup pods
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7718 posts
6907 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Nespresso pods is 2x more expensive than k-cup pods
But it's 10x better taste !
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6861 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: But it's 10x better taste !
I don't think so. Maybe it depends on the brand of coffee chosen.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7718 posts
6907 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I don't think so. Maybe it depends on the brand of coffee chosen.
Keurig regardless of brand of pod is watery and flavorless based on all the different pods I've tried

It's just a very poor tasting format but convenient which is why I keep mine in the basement
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6861 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Keurig regardless of brand of pod is watery and flavorless based on all the different pods I've tried

It's just a very poor tasting format but convenient which is why I keep mine in the basement
You're using an older model. The newer model Keurig is not giving me that trouble. I'm cheating though. I buy the flavoured coffees. :twisted:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12138 posts
4972 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Keurig regardless of brand of pod is watery and flavorless based on all the different pods I've tried
I always dark roast coffee pods - Timothy's Extra Dark right now. Delish and tons of flavor.

Don't buy anything light or "breakfast blend". These generally suck.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8753 posts
4366 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Probably designed and made for U.S. market taste (especially the old folk). I remember an old joke about someone from Europe being asked about the country. He replies by saying how nice it is and how friendly the people are but there are 3 things he doesn't understand. The first is baseball, the second is football, and the third is this brown water called they call coffee.

Other thing was speaking to some South Americans I used to work with. Some of them had studied in the U.S. and said that when they were in the U.S., they could pretty much drink a whole pot of coffee a day and all throughout the day (I used to too, and have/had a whole bunch of huge Aladdin 7-11 insulated coffee mugs from those days). As soon as she returned to South America, she said she could only drink 1 or maybe 2 cups of coffee and in the morning only. Keurig coffee tastes like that to me.

I started to drink moka pot coffee and after a while, even good drip coffee was too weak.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China