Food & Drink

Coffee @ home - Nespresso or Keurig?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 1:01 am
Aug 8, 2008
366 posts
167 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Have you ever tried to refill either Nespresso version (Original or Vertuo)? Doing so would take care of the cost issue (70 cents+ per original pod is pricy). If so, did it work out? I figure you'd get more value out of refilling Vertuo capsules as those are more expensive.
I have not but talked to some people that have and they said it’s not worth the hassles since the taste is not as good as the original.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2931 posts
1319 upvotes
Have a Breville Nespresso Vertuo and a Keurig at work. The quality of Nespresso is just leaps and bounds better than Keurig. I actually find Keurig to leave a weird slimy film on my tongue after drinking it.

Nespresso Vertuo is awesome because it makes lattes and coffee. The only downsides are that you need to order the pods from Nespresso or their stores and that the coffee isn't boiling hot the way it would be from a drip machine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8734 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Tip for Nespresso drinkers. Nestlé apparently charges half the price in Europe.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Tip for Nespresso drinkers. Nestlé apparently charges half the price in Europe.
Going to check that just for fun...

The cheapest Original Line pods are the Italiana line...
In Canada those sell for 78 cents per pod.
In the UK those are 36p, or 62 cents Canadian using today's exchange rate.
In France those are 0.37 euro, or 57 cents Canadian.
In Switzerland those are 50 francs, or 72 cents Canadian.

Not quite half but definitely less. I'll definitely try refilling the pods myself first and see if the quality drop is worth putting up with. Given I have all this Lavazza coffee to use up, I might as well do it.
I know the Starbucks branded pods do go on sale at Costco so I'd go there if I gave up on refills.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8734 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Can you check U.S. prices? I think the "cheaper" may have been in reference to U.S. prices.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8734 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have to admit I've never owned a pod system. Just tried a Keurig ~6 years ago and didn't like it (also tried refills, the Keurig at the house sit as one that required UV on the foil cover to work).

Here's a thread on Nespresso where I thought it was much cheaper in Europe.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningb ... ad-15.html

Seems at one time, Nestlé pods were $1 +/- in the U.S.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Seems at one time, Nestlé pods were $1 +/- in the U.S.
Some still are, but since I'm only considering their cheapest line in order to compare apples to apples, they're 70 cents US, so 93 cents Canadian. We actually get a better price in Canada, go figure.

I suspect in the USA there's a wider selection of third party pods vs here (you see a lot of them on Amazon), and that's where you'll find savings.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19899 posts
6828 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: I have to admit I've never owned a pod system. Just tried a Keurig ~6 years ago and didn't like it
A Keurig from 6 years ago is garbage. The newer machines deliver better coffee.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1651 posts
209 upvotes
C-53
cgtlky wrote: Nespresso pods is 2x more expensive than k-cup pods
Non issue.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7642 posts
6800 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I have to admit I've never owned a pod system. Just tried a Keurig ~6 years ago and didn't like it (also tried refills, the Keurig at the house sit as one that required UV on the foil cover to work).

Here's a thread on Nespresso where I thought it was much cheaper in Europe.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningb ... ad-15.html

Seems at one time, Nestlé pods were $1 +/- in the U.S.
There's cheap Nespresso compatible pods here too for original line.

The lavazza ones are pretty good and around 0.50/pod when ob sale and good amount of selection. I get then from staples and use coupons too.

But I think Nespresso pods are the best but obviously higher price, and they're only ones other than the SB ones that's full aluminum for the pod