• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2019 11:21 pm
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
565 posts
294 upvotes

Coffee Maker for Condo?

Hello!

I'm looking for a good coffee maker for a condo. The kitchen and counterspace is tiny as you can imagine so any of the highly recommended ones I usually see on here are just way too big. We currently use instant coffee but willing to spend some money on a good coffee maker thats on the smaller side, easy to clean, low maintenance, and makes good coffee. For reference, Something the size of a Keurig or Tassimo would work but I'd rather not have a podded one as that seems like its just paying the price of a starbucks coffee to make it at home yourself. Any suggestions?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1153 posts
1582 upvotes
Stouffville ON
I have Tassimo and the cost is usually about $0.50 per cup so definitely less than starbucks, I don't use it often enough to worry about the costs, however recently I had a discussion with a friend who's spouse drinks large volumes and they use a kit for Keurig or one of the most popular systems (don't recall which one unfortunately) with a reusable pod, apparently much cheaper than buying new pods each time.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3469 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
I hate coffee and I don't drink it but my husband does in the a.m. We use the 4 cup Cuisinart. It is small and like you while we do not live in a condo we do live in a very small bungalow and the kitchen has limited counter space. It does have some quirks though and we have to replace it about every 6 months - sometimes we get a year. These days though more like 6 months. And it does not have a glass carafe to break all of a sudden. Cost is about $55.00. We have tried the Tassimo/Keurig brands and frankly by the 4th unit in 2 days I called one of the companies and was told there was an issue with many - so Cuisinart it was. I do realize that not all people have issues with the Tassimo etc. brands but we did.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3292 posts
2272 upvotes
Toronto
How much coffee do you make at any given time? Get a Chemex.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2009
565 posts
294 upvotes
Have a chemex but hate the fact that I always need new filters and pouring water over it slowly is annoying. I guess another nice feature would be programmability. I'd like to be able to program the thing to make coffee at a certain time each morning
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1153 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
Grinder, french press, kettle, beans.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1202 posts
668 upvotes
Ripley
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/black-deck ... 0087479395

Very small foot print. You have to pour the water in for each cup but it makes very hot coffee. Don't use the included travel mug because it makes the coffee taste like plastic. We have no problems with china mugs or stainless steel mugs. It has a washable, reusable filter. We have had this for 5+ years. I would love a flexbrew but the black and decker will not die!

Keurig also makes a mini. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/keurig-k-m ... 0198453943
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1885 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
curlyface wrote: Hello!

I'm looking for a good coffee maker for a condo. The kitchen and counterspace is tiny as you can imagine so any of the highly recommended ones I usually see on here are just way too big. We currently use instant coffee but willing to spend some money on a good coffee maker thats on the smaller side, easy to clean, low maintenance, and makes good coffee. For reference, Something the size of a Keurig or Tassimo would work but I'd rather not have a podded one as that seems like its just paying the price of a starbucks coffee to make it at home yourself. Any suggestions?
If you want something that makes some of the best coffee you can get, doesn't take up much room, is quick, easy and convenient i'd recommend the AEROPRESS. It's also cheap and you can easily get it from amazon or most coffee shops. Highly recommend it.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16176 posts
14205 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jedijome wrote: If you want something that makes some of the best coffee you can get, doesn't take up much room, is quick, easy and convenient i'd recommend the AEROPRESS. It's also cheap and you can easily get it from amazon or most coffee shops. Highly recommend it.
Yup best solution and coffee comes out much better. But I’m lazy and just use my nespresso.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4669 posts
4720 upvotes
Vancouver
Buy a super-cheap one with a manual on/off switch, then plug it into a smart WiFi switch for an extra $10. That not only gives you a timer, but if you leave it set up and ready to go at night, you can say "Hey Alexa/Google, make the coffee" in the morning before you roll out of bed. Fresh just-made coffee when you get to the kitchen is better than waiting 10 minutes or having stale coffee that's been waiting 30 minutes. :)
Feb 11, 2009
252 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jedijome wrote: If you want something that makes some of the best coffee you can get, doesn't take up much room, is quick, easy and convenient i'd recommend the AEROPRESS. It's also cheap and you can easily get it from amazon or most coffee shops. Highly recommend it.
2nd AEROPRESS. I brought it to a cruise ship trip. Way better than the "starbucks" there and it's almost free.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
i second the hamilton beach flexbrew, get the one with just the single serve pods not the perculator one, it works great for someone like me who is a busy man always on the go.
Hi