Request-A-Deal

Coffee Maker Replacement Emergency (Dramatic Effect)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2010 4:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19714 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …

Coffee Maker Replacement Emergency (Dramatic Effect)

My coffee maker, a Delonghi DCM900 which I got at homesense for something like $50 on mega clearance from their regular asking price of $280 has died after 3 or 4 years. I took it apart and diagnosed it's problem and it turned out to be a thermal switch of which kind I was unable to find a replacement to buy that wouldn't have cost me nearly as much as I paid for the coffeemaker (crazy). I attempted to replace the thermal switch with a simple thermal fuze of similar rating but due to the design of the wiring I was not satisfied that it would be safe enough as I couldn't use it to make contact with the boiler without shorting through it effectively making it completely useless for safety purposes. So, I had to bin the whole thing. What a shame.

It was a great and very strange looking maker, the main thing was it had a 1500W boiler so it made coffee like there was no tomorrow. I'd like to stick to something higher end with similar ability to get coffee out of the machine ASAP - there's nothing worse than really needing a coffee in the morning and having to wait... and wait.

Second thing I want is something I can use my own ground coffee in, I am totally not into having to buy those single serve containers.... I prefer to use my own coffee for both taste and economy reasons. It seems most coffeemakers these days are going towards the whole tassimo/k-cup concept. I am not opposed to getting a single cup maker so long as it has an adapter that allows me to use my own ground coffee since most of the time I am only making coffee for myself anyway.

I am a "fan" of Breville appliances, I haven't had one go south on me yet and they look great to boot. I was looking at this:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... =B100-1002

But, I think it's gone cheaper in the past, this is a refurb, and it doesn't even include the accessories (including the ground coffee adapter).

What am I missing that's out there? Should I just keep using my French press until boxing week?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
BinaryJay wrote: What am I missing?
A sense of brevity, perhaps?
"I count as braver he who conquers his desires than he who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over the self." - Aristotle
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19714 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
wingding wrote: a sense of brevity, perhaps?

r ne gud coffee makrs 4 cheap?
Jul 28, 2008
229 posts
8 upvotes
All the items that I'm looking for as well. I also use the press now as it's quick, simple and consistent. Sorry I can't help, but I'm following...
2009 RFD Contest Wins
Danier Leather "Win a Bag a Day" contest

2008 RFD Contest Wins
6 X 20 Shoppers DM GC (1st ever win!)