• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 10:46 pm
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
343 posts
445 upvotes

Coffee Talk

Hi RFD, let's talk coffee.

I've been buying coffees (2) every morning for months. While the $360 after 4 months isn't *that* much of an issue, I'd like a home option on days I don't want to leave the house.

I'm looking for a home coffee solution, but I'm not a coffee snob. I need something quick, easy to clean and affordable. I'm juggling working from home with little kids running around.

What are you using for your morning coffee fix? How does it compare to Tim's/McDonald's?

Any insight would be appreciated - Thank you!
79 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
Get a Keurig machine, buy the box of K-Cups, i usually buy them from Costco since I find good deals there. You can find Family pack size large boxes of Kay Cups and you will save a ton of money not going to Tim Horton's anymore. Tim is great coffee but i find it gets expensive if u go every day or twice every day. Since you have those Kay cups all you need to buy is the large 1 Litre Cream and make your own coffee every morning and your set. This is what I do and I swear, i have saved a ton of money, some days i need 2 coffees but most days 1 will suffice.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4760 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
Taste depends on your beans and grind, so we'll leave that out of the discussion.

In terms of preparation, a traditional dripping-into-a-carafe is too much work for just two people because you have to put in the filter and grinds (either the night before or half-asleep in the morning) and wash the carafe and filter holder every day. If one person wakes up later than the other, you'll need an insulated carafe or a heating plate to keep it hot for them. We used to do that for years, but then switched to K-cups (but this also applies to other single serving types, like Tassimo). Nothing to wash daily daily if you use single-use K-cups, and the other person can make their own coffee whenever they wake up (which is later if someone is working from home). You don't need to measure and fill a coffee filter while you're half asleep and just drop in a K-cup and push a button.

We use refillable, generic K-cups, so that really keeps the costs down. Washing the two generic K-cups is a lot less effort than washing a carafe, etc. and I have a bunch of them that I refill all at once when I run out, so I'm not refilling them everyday.

I think Kreurig and Tassimo have been trying to make it more difficult to use generic cups/discs lately but this works for me (minimal effort to clean and prepare). I think our Kreurig was on clearance for about $50 and the generic K-cups are cheap (Amazon, I think).

The only disadvantage with all coffee makers is refilling the water reservoir when it runs out, so look for one where it's easy to do so.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22397 posts
21020 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
FYI ...

Most likely this thread will end up in the FOOD & DRINK FORUM
(Moved by the RFD Mods )

That forum is where you’ll find others have asked similar questions in the past
* Pod Coffee Makers
* Drip Coffee Makers
* French Press Coffee Makers

It’s all there .. just use the FORUM SEARCH tool at the top of the Directory
(Right hand side, above the red bar )

food-drink-f18/

Here’s a good general thread from last year
looking-c-good-c-coffee-maker-2258255/
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
343 posts
445 upvotes
Ah I posted in Home & Garden thinking I could get recommendations on home coffee appliances

Sorry, and thank you for pointing this out.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2353 posts
3019 upvotes
West GTA
I mean, the cheapest option is a drip coffee machine. You just buy pre-ground coffee and make a pot, the machines are very cheap, so are the bags of coffee, and it's easy to clean. Water in reservoir -> filter in machine -> add ground coffee -> turn on. You've got a pot of coffee in minutes. When done, you just put grounds in compost, garden, wherever and toss the filter. That's much cheaper than buying the individual pucks like nespresso, keurig, tassimo, etc and it's really easy to do. If you buy nice coffee it's pretty decent as well, though not as good as the coffee you grind on the spot, french press, super-automatics, etc that are all tastier but much more hassle and/or expense.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24734 posts
14303 upvotes
Toronto
Just get a drip coffee maker, burr grinder and your favorite coffee beans. Don't make it any more complicated than that.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7880 posts
8844 upvotes
Montréal
Personally, I would not suggest plastic pod coffee makers like Keurig just for an environmentally question... even if pods are recyclables who takes time to empty the old coffee to recycle the plastic pod?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8150 posts
3927 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Should have bought a Miele super automatic during the sale. I thought it was expensive (even at "$800 off") but if you count how much people spend on buying brewed coffee, and getting to/from a coffee place (unless it's close-by and you walk) it saves quite a bit.

Pod coffee, except for Nespresso, is dreadfully weak too.

The inventor also regrets inventing his invention.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.2983243
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19342 posts
6320 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: Personally, I would not suggest plastic pod coffee makers like Keurig just for an environmentally question... even if pods are recyclables who takes time to empty the old coffee to recycle the plastic pod?
If it's about what can be recycled, (and just that issue alone before getting into any other opinion) then what about Tim Horton, McDonald's and Starbucks cups?
Toronto isn't recycling them either. https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... g%20system.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
224 upvotes
mighty_chef wrote:

I'm looking for a home coffee solution, but I'm not a coffee snob. I need something quick, easy to clean and affordable. I'm juggling working from home with little kids running around.

What are you using for your morning coffee fix? How does it compare to Tim's/McDonald's?

Any insight would be appreciated - Thank you!
Depends on what you like, you can get a super automatic espresso machine and then turn that into an Americano with the occasional latte, cappuccino etc. Some of these can be connected to a water line so you don’t have to refill it.

If you just want plain coffee, just get a drip machine and a burr grinder and work with different coffee beans and grind size - I think McD sells their coffee beans but could be mistaken. You can get fancy and get a machine which can be programmed to brew at a certain time so you can wake up to coffee.

Get a Zojirushi Stainless Steel mug, this way you can make the coffee in the morning and then it will stay HOT through out the day.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14786 posts
19709 upvotes
Vancouver
Bialetti Moka Pot. Use it on the stovetop. Less than $50, indestructible, will last you the rest of your life. The 6-cup is the most common size, it makes one large mug (cup sizes are espresso size) No filters to buy. Makes excellent coffee too.
Cleaning up is easy, unscrew, dump grinds into the compost, rinse, air dry. Piece of cake
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7880 posts
8844 upvotes
Montréal
playnicee1 wrote: If it's about what can be recycled, (and just that issue alone before getting into any other opinion) then what about Tim Horton, McDonald's and Starbucks cups?
Toronto isn't recycling them either. https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... g%20system.
First, don't assume that I live in Toronto. RFD is all across Canada.
Second, before pandemic, you could bring your own reusable cup at those restaurants.
Third, I make my own coffee at home before leaving for work, wayyyyy cheaper and more RFD way of drinking coffee IMHO

you still can disagree with me though
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2441 posts
2292 upvotes
Ottawa
I use a french press or a pour over at home and a french press at work.

Great for taste, but neither is on the easy clean side of the spectrum.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1343 posts
1590 upvotes
GTA
I buy Tim's in a large can from Costco paired with a filter cone ($5-10), paper filter ($5/100 filters) and powdered cream (also Costco). Most of the time is spent boiling water, which I need to do anyways. After that, it's just pouring the boiling water into the grounds and letting it filter. From start to finish is about 5 minutes. Cleaning is as simple as rinsing the cone and throwing out the paper filter.

I have a Tassimo and Keurig, but the coffee just isn't very hot right out of the gate, so there's been times where I had to remake it if I didn't drink it right away (because who drinks hot coffee that's turned cold?!)

Edit: anyone want to buy a second-hand Tassimo or Keurig? Lol
Last edited by QuicKi7 on Jul 29th, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28920 posts
14452 upvotes
+1 avoiding Keurig.
There's a giant thread somewhere else here.
Biggest point is under temp brewing so it won't produce a good cup of coffee to begin with.
And the waste. Refillable cups are a thing, but that doesn't fix #1.

French Press is a decent substitute. It's cheap, uses regular coffee, and is relatively fast.
Not 30 seconds fast, but still fairly fast.
GoodFellaz wrote: you will save a ton of money not going to Tim Horton's anymore.
Do you really?
I mean... you do save a bit of money, but K-Cups are NOT cheap.
$0.50/cup while better than $2/cup still adds up.
Coffee (beans/ground/etc) is cheap. A cup shouldn't cost more than a handful of cents.
Tim is great coffee
That's kind of subjective too. I find it hideous.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
671 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I'll never understand the appeal of those pods things. Its the same darn thing as buying a jar of instant and boiling your water in a kettle. The quality of coffee in those pods, its got to be crappy, god knows how old it is and who knows where they're getting it from. That its pre-ground is a big issue right there.

I get that many people want convenience over quality/taste but I don't get how they are more convenient or easier than a simple jar of product and a kettle, not to mention the cost.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19342 posts
6320 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I'll never understand the appeal of those pods things. Its the same darn thing as buying a jar of instant and boiling your water in a kettle. The quality of coffee in those pods, its got to be crappy, god knows how old it is and who knows where they're getting it from. That its pre-ground is a big issue right there.

I get that many people want convenience over quality/taste but I don't get how they are more convenient or easier than a simple jar of product and a kettle, not to mention the cost.
They must know something. There is a best before date on the k cup box. I personally do not like mouth burning hot coffee. Keurig makes coffee at a perfect temp. It's also a space saver, doubling as a kettle with the hot water button, if desired.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22397 posts
21020 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
playnicee1 wrote:
If it's about what can be recycled, (and just that issue alone before getting into any other opinion) then what about Tim Horton, McDonald's and Starbucks cups?
DoorCrasher wrote: First, don't assume that I live in Toronto. RFD is all across Canada.
Second, before pandemic, you could bring your own reusable cup at those restaurants.
Third, I make my own coffee at home before leaving for work, wayyyyy cheaper and more RFD way of drinking coffee IMHO

you still can disagree with me though
This

As per the CBC Marketplace Show ... the issue with Coffee Cups remains at the COMMERCIAL LEVEL more than anything else, and YES mostly in the GTA

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Canada

A lot of local Recycling Programs WILL ACCEPT take out coffee cups ... be they straight up cardboard or waxed cardboard
(Either Black / Grey Bin = Paper ... or Green Bin = Compostable Organics)

So everyone should check their local municipal Recycling Website for more info

If it’s recyclable ... haul it out / bring it home to recycle ... vs tossing it at the store / trash

* Of course the best method is a BYOB vessel ... but be aware that often that creates waste anyhow
(Rules that the Servers cannot touch your cup / mug / bottle ... they can only bring you a filled cup you then dump yourself into the vessel ... sort of defeats the purpose. This practice is also far more common during Covid. )
Jan 16, 2009
212 posts
94 upvotes
An alternative to pod coffee for single servings would be an Aeropress. It's fairly quick and fairly easy to clean, and in my experience, the coffee is much better than any pod coffee that I've had (not that I've had many).
It's kind of a hybrid between a french press and a normal drip method. I've brought mine out of retirement since working from home, and it's nice to have coffee that I actually look forward to drinking, as opposed to drinking only to keep me awake (ie office pod coffee), lol.