Ongoing Deal Discussion

Cogeco

$90! - UltraFibre 1Gig Unlimited (120 Months) (NEW PRICE)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2023 2:32 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
2725 posts
2535 upvotes
why is this so downvoted.
;_;
NOT A WOMAN. JUST GOT A WEIRD NAME. I AM A MAN. THANKS.
Feb 13, 2018
90 posts
88 upvotes
Binden wrote: Roger's gigabit deals are the same way, monthly discounts guaranteed for a year. Base prices still go up every year. At least with this one, the discounts are set for 10yrs, don't have to call in every year.
" At least with this one, the discounts are set for 10yrs, don't have to call in every year."

Just can not agree more. The obligation of contacting rogers every year and beg for a discount to make sure my internet doesn't double in price is the main reason I want to be as far as possible from that company.
Nov 29, 2014
83 posts
204 upvotes
St George Brant, ON
My new home has Bell FTTH. I have Rogers cell service at my current home (only Starlink has high speed), and immediately after searching for Internet at the new place -- Rogers started calling me. They offered 1000/30 for $59/month (via $60/mth discount) for 12 months, no contract, $29 install. Yeah, it's not 1000/1000. But it's at a reasonable price point. Allegedly the discount can be (manually) re-upped every 12 months via online portal and/or a call-in. If not, switch to FTTH at that time.

Two pluses: Avoiding Bhell. And it's cheap. Sadly it's not FTTH. But that's OK for the price point.

It seems like a BIG DEAL to have FTTH - not necessarily because you should buy it - but to check the incumbent cable operators for a sweet counter-offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
2709 posts
5163 upvotes
jenneth wrote: For a limited time, get UltraFibre 1Gig Unlimited for 120 Months (10 Years) guaranteed discount of $28

Valid for new or previous customers who had canceled their service longer than 6 months ago.

I am wondering if this is a godsend for Niagara-Hamilton Area. We don't have any legit competition and this seems like a steal from my current deal ($70 for 60 mbps)

EDIT: edited to clarify the nature of promo.
Ehhh 1000/30 aint really that good, I have 1560/940 with bell on fibre optic and that shit is insane! Cable just can't come close to the smoothness of fibre, latency is much lower than cable, I get 1ms ping with bell whereas with Rogers(cable) I'd get 20ms+. Also anything I upload online is done insanely fast.
Rogers 30GB $35
Feb 20, 2009
272 posts
285 upvotes
Mississauga
NoWayHosEH wrote: Yes that currently you cannot get more then 30 on Rogers or most cable internet services but its not because its a coax network. It is not a limitation of the COAX network, its a limitation of how the spectrum is currently setup on the coax network, 2 very different things.
Excellent technical explanation - you obviously work in the industry.
Outside plant upgrade to higher frequency of 1.2GHz has gone on for a while, as well as the Remote-PHY. Who knows, maybe Full-Duplex is the true nirvana. Longer term GPON upgrade by Rogers/Shaw/Cogeco will be interesting as it is just the same as Bell/TELUS.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2150 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
GlenLalonde wrote:
Been very good in my area, Stoney Creek, Ontario. Only out a few times, at least that I noticed. Not sure about others.

Funny thing is, Bell is putting fibre all over the area. Streets all around my street are dug up with signs saying Bell. They even have the plastic pipes hanging out as in many places. Will try to post a pic if thread is still alive in a day or so.
Maybe we are in the same neighbourhood. Telecon digging up everything, Black and Mac installing new transformers. Right by Roma
aomous wrote:
Ehhh 1000/30 aint really that good, I have 1560/940 with bell on fibre optic and that shit is insane! Cable just can't come close to the smoothness of fibre, latency is much lower than cable, I get 1ms ping with bell whereas with Rogers(cable) I'd get 20ms+. Also anything I upload online is done insanely fast.
1ms is great, I get 9ms on Cogeco. I heard the FTTH 1.5G is actually limited by the home hub 3000 @ 940mb/940mb per GbE port. To achieve the max speed you need multiple devices downloading at once.

I plan to get 1G plan, pull the SFP and pair with a MC220L to use my existing router setup.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
2709 posts
5163 upvotes
rob187 wrote: Maybe we are in the same neighbourhood. Telecon digging up everything, Black and Mac installing new transformers. Right by Roma

1ms is great, I get 9ms on Cogeco. I heard the FTTH 1.5G is actually limited by the home hub 3000 @ 940mb/940mb per GbE port. To achieve the max speed you need multiple devices downloading at once.

I plan to get 1G plan, pull the SFP and pair with a MC220L to use my existing router setup.
Yep ur correct, the HH3000 only has Gb ethernet ports so on my PC I get a max of 950Mbs down and 940Mbs up, however their new HH4000 which is slowly getting released has a 10Gb ethernet port and has wifi 6 so I am hoping to upgrade to that modem when it's available in my area. Either way tho my PC's ethernet port also only supports gigabit so I'd have to buy a 10Gb ethernet adapter if I'd want the full 1.56Gb/s I get to my modem lol.
Rogers 30GB $35
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2150 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
aomous wrote: Yep ur correct, the HH3000 only has Gb ethernet ports so on my PC I get a max of 950Mbs down and 940Mbs up, however their new HH4000 which is slowly getting released has a 10Gb ethernet port and has wifi 6 so I am hoping to upgrade to that modem when it's available in my area. Either way tho my PC's ethernet port also only supports gigabit so I'd have to buy a 10Gb ethernet adapter if I'd want the full 1.56Gb/s I get to my modem lol.
I believe you would also need mechanical hdds in a raid configuration or SSD’s to actually transfer files at 1.5G. The highest local file speeds I’m seeing are around 125mb/sec to WD helium filled enterprise hdd’s on a sata6 jbod setup. Theoretical max on 950mbit is already 118.75MB/sec pretty much saturates a HDD’s write capability.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2009
1116 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
Would have tried it but not available in my area. Rogers has been a nightmare to deal with to try to get a functioning modem.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
4408 posts
4481 upvotes
Genblue wrote: Went back to Cogeco from Start in Burlington. Plugged in, I see about 930 down and 30 up.
It's been pretty stable with six of us using it at the same time with the exception of the DNS issue, which was resolved when I switched it to the Google DNS.
Not much choice if you want speed in Burlington.
I’m in Burlington also and my options are Bell (not fibe, not even close) or cogeco. Hate cogeco with a passion but they have the fastest speed internet here.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1889 posts
1891 upvotes
Guelph
I switched to cogeco for this deal @ $80 after Christmas. It was cheaper and 10x faster advertised. I've never spent so much time on the phone with tech support. I was downloading in kilobytes per second the other day on my brand new xbox series x hardwired directly to the modem with a 1m patch cable. My service goes down periodically throughout the day, numerous techs to my house, fixed my line, changed the modem.

If you choose this package, I wish you much better luck than I have had. I'm on the brink of cancelling.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Most people here in oakville seem to be with cable as the Bell DSL option maxes out at 50mbps at best.

I tested out a couple gigabit modems for Teksavvy on Cogeco's network.
The Arris TG3452A was terrible, even in bridged mode. Signal would drop out frequently, though it did improve after a month or two, still not perfect.
The Hitron CODA-45 was great from the get go.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Dec 11, 2011
191 posts
117 upvotes
YYZ
GlenLalonde wrote: Been very good in my area, Stoney Creek, Ontario. Only out a few times, at least that I noticed. Not sure about others.

Funny thing is, Bell is putting fibre all over the area. Streets all around my street are dug up with signs saying Bell. They even have the plastic pipes hanging out as in many places. Will try to post a pic if thread is still alive in a day or so.
I'm also in Stoney Creek but on the mountain near Ridge road ... and the service has been O.K. here but I wouldn't put it as very good, especially for upload (think live streaming).
I am signed up for Starlink which should be here in the middle/late 2021 ... so I can finally ditch Cogeco and get better uploads.
Literally no other options for better uploads around here.
(1) buy now think later
(2) think too long miss deal
(3) yield chase
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1634 posts
9454 upvotes
MILTON
Cogeco = no service or service disruptions often
i will not touch it with 10 foot pole.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
immad01 wrote: Cogeco = no service or service disruptions often
i will not touch it with 10 foot pole.
Service isn't bad here in Oakville. Much better than the only other option, Bell DSL. Of course use TSI/Start/Carrytel.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Aug 8, 2005
713 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for posting this!

Currently with Start.ca - $55/month for 40mbps
Cogeco offering $85/month for gigabit

Definitely a good deal.. didn't want to spend extra on Internet, but can't resist at literally 25x the speed for $30/month

Let's see if they raise prices. Odds are they might raise them $5 a month at some point, but what guarantee do I have that Start won't do the same? I guess I can always switch back...
Oct 31, 2019
96 posts
100 upvotes
LOL - called Cogeco up: "I hear your service is utter crap. How quickly can I leave if it's as bad as I hear"; answer I got - "Immediately"!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
rob187 wrote:

Upload speed is a limitation of the coax system

C8BA8FE2-E128-453A-8EF6-10008EFF851F.jpeg

You will not get higher than 30mbit upload over cable, Rogers is the same speed. For faster upload you need FTTH which most don’t have
NoWayHosEH wrote: Yes that currently you cannot get more then 30 on Rogers or most cable internet services but its not because its a coax network. It is not a limitation of the COAX network, its a limitation of how the spectrum is currently setup on the coax network, 2 very different things. First these cable companies need to get rid of legacy equipment that is utilizing spectrum that will be needed to increase the upstream bandwidth. These companies are upgrading to 1.2 & 1.8gig spectrum but they need to remove equipment and legacy services that live down low where it will be reallocated for the upstream bandwidth. This is why you cannot or soon cannot order legacy services with these cable companies. They will only offer their iptv service as that will allow the companies to move things around much easier. Over the next 2-3 years, I can see at least 500mbps to 1gig Uploads on a coax network. This will allow to support all the increases in bandwidth the population is using without the big cost of rebuild to fiber. Of coarse these companies only deploy fiber in new build areas and slowly replace really bad plant with fiber but in those areas with good coax network will be that way for a long time before they switch.
Ah that makes sense. because I was a bit puzzled with first poster saying that's a coax limitation while we can reach 1Gbps+ upload with MoCA 2.0/2.5 for instance.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1450 posts
1346 upvotes
Oakville
rob187 wrote: In the previous thread there is a lot of discussion about Cogeco modem instability. The recommendation is to purchase internet only and put the modem in bridge mode and then use your own router. I am doing this and have not experienced any reboots or outages at the modem. Unfortunately when you order the tv service from Cogeco you must use their modem as your router and will likely have reboots and issues. Basically you can’t buy tv service if you want/need stable internet
Also jumped on the BF deal as it was cheaper and faster than Bell (1Gb vs 100Mb). It was a lot of work at the beginning but it’s stable for a few months now. Definitely bridge the modem and use your own router. I have a Netgear AX mesh and get ~950Mbs wired and close to 600Mbs via wifi on a wifi 6 device.

I also spent a lot of time getting their Tivo service to work (I wanted 4k capability) with a bridged modem (that many will say does not work). Cogeco does not support this set up officially but you can get it to work with MOCA over Ethernet.
Mar 8, 2008
491 posts
840 upvotes
gatineau
rob187 wrote:
You will not get higher than 30mbit upload over cable, Rogers is the same speed. For faster upload you need FTTH which most don’t have
Eh? So why do I get this with Videotron?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)