Computers & Electronics

Cogeco loyalty / retention offers ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2018 12:04 pm
Jun 6, 2016
134 posts
89 upvotes

Cogeco loyalty / retention offers ?

I have been with Cogeco for my cable and internet for years and years. I am also one of those people who never really modified anything in their packages and automatically paid their monthly bill, no questions asked (yeah yeah, I know...). I only chose Cogeco over other providers available in my area only because they were the only ones offering specifics channel I wanted.

Those channels now have disappeared from Cogeco, so I don't really have any reason to stay with them anymore. I am looking to downsize my TV package since I'm paying for channels I don't really watch. Maybe I would upgrade my internet, but Cogeco's prices are not really the best.

I have looked what other local providers were offering and they mostly offer a better deal on their internet but worse options concerning their choice of channels available ( the ones I'd want to watch anyway ). So I'm currently standing in the balance on whether I should stay with Cogeco or move elsewhere. Cogeco offers the better selection, but they're also the most expensive in my area.

Does anyone know if Cogeco offers any loyalty / retention plans for their long-tenured customers ? I know this practice is more common with cell phone providers, but what about cable ? Anybody had any experience with their customer service on how easy / hard is it to get such offers ?

Cogeco are currently offering discounts on their products but, sure enough, they're for new activations only. Any crumbles have ever been thrown to their loyal customers ?
55 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
Yup. They do. I renew my loyalty plan every year.

Right now I have 60/10/U internet, basic 25 channels, my pick 10 and TiVo for 2 TVs.

I think it is $97 for all of it. Haven't check a bill in a while.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote: Yup. They do. I renew my loyalty plan every year.
I was told they did not, so I cancelled my phone, then internet service with them. It was about a 2 minute phone call both times. They didn't give a rat's ass about keeping me as a customer, because I probably would have stayed if they were able to give me some kind of loyalty discount.

Glad I left though, I'm getting more for less from Voip.ms and Start. Very interested to see what Start's upcoming IPTV service is going to look like.
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
chdude3 wrote: I was told they did not, so I cancelled my phone, then internet service with them. It was about a 2 minute phone call both times. They didn't give a rat's ass about keeping me as a customer, because I probably would have stayed if they were able to give me some kind of loyalty discount.

Glad I left though, I'm getting more for less from Voip.ms and Start. Very interested to see what Start's upcoming IPTV service is going to look like.
Who told you they didn't? I call and ask to speak to the retention dept, and then I am forwarded to them. You comparison is Apples and oranges. You are comparing Internet and phone to cable TV with tivo and Internet.

I doubt start gives you 60/10 Internet for the $45 I pay, Their site says $65. What do you pay?
Jun 6, 2016
134 posts
89 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Yup. They do. I renew my loyalty plan every year.

Right now I have 60/10/U internet, basic 25 channels, my pick 10 and TiVo for 2 TVs.

I think it is $97 for all of it. Haven't check a bill in a while.
Wow, that's crazy.

My bill is :

- $ 49 for bottom-of-the-rung 15/02/120 cap, with the modem rental included
- $ 52 TV package, which is the old "Destination" format ( movies, sports, etc... ) The total of channels is at a better value than what I would pay for the same channels at current rate, especially with the current premium for channels like Sportsnet, but it's not like I'm watching all of them and could easily downsize to Mix + 10
- $ 11 for standard & HD receiver rental
- $ 7 for premium channels
- $ ( 10 ) rebate for having two combined services

All & all : about $ 125 with tax.

The only other internet option I have considered would be 40/10/160, as I don't want my bill to go any higher than what I'm currently paying.

A deal similar to yours would be tremendous ( and I don't even need TiVo ), I wonder if they would "price match" this offer ?
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
ErBoProxy wrote: Wow, that's crazy.

My bill is :

- $ 49 for bottom-of-the-rung 15/02/120 cap, with the modem rental included
- $ 52 TV package, which is the old "Destination" format ( movies, sports, etc... ) The total of channels is at a better value than what I would pay for the same channels at current rate, especially with the current premium for channels like Sportsnet, but it's not like I'm watching all of them and could easily downsize to Mix + 10
- $ 11 for standard & HD receiver rental
- $ 7 for premium channels
- $ ( 10 ) rebate for having two combined services

All & all : about $ 125 with tax.

The only other internet option I have considered would be 40/10/160, as I don't want my bill to go any higher than what I'm currently paying.

A deal similar to yours would be tremendous ( and I don't even need TiVo ), I wonder if they would "price match" this offer ?
You are not far off, just call them, ask for retention and ask for a better deal. I find with Cogeco it is much better to be nice and just ask as opposed to demanding or threatening to leave.

I did check my bill and the total with tax, was $108. I forgot about tax, was just remembering my phone conversation with them the total being just under $100 but before tax.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote: Who told you they didn't? I call and ask to speak to the retention dept, and then I am forwarded to them. You comparison is Apples and oranges. You are comparing Internet and phone to cable TV with tivo and Internet.

I doubt start gives you 60/10 Internet for the $45 I pay, Their site says $65. What do you pay?
COGECO told me. Each time I've called to cancel a service, I advise that the price has become too high, and is there anything they can do? Both times I've been told no. The first time I even specifically asked about a customer retention rep. So I've then immediately said I'd like to cancel said service, and it was done in a matter of minutes. In my experience, Cogeco does not care about their customers or customer retention. I've not generally had a problem with the services from Cogeco, and technical support was generally acceptable. But their prices kept rising and go to the point where I looked around and left when they wouldn't do anything for me.

I pay $50 for 40/10/unlimited service from Start. It's less than I was paying at Cogeco, and in fact I get more with the unlimited service. In addition, Start has been very proactive with their customer service in STARK contrast to my experience with Cogeco.

Cogeco's 60Mbps service is listed at $80, with a possible $5 discount if you have THREE services with them. That's $75 at best (which I wouldn't even qualify for), which is $10 more than Start's plan and doesn't include unlimited usage. If there's some unadvertised $45 price that's only offered to certain customers, frankly I find that underhanded and would rather not give a company like that my money.

Cable TV is all we have left with Cogeco, and it's only because other family members refuse to give it up. If Start has a workable IPTV solution, Cogeco will have their final chance to retain me as a customer. I won't hold my breath though, given past history. They don't want me as a customer and show no interest in retaining me, so I'll happily take my business elsewhere.
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
chdude3 wrote: COGECO told me. Each time I've called to cancel a service, I advise that the price has become too high, and is there anything they can do? Both times I've been told no. The first time I even specifically asked about a customer retention rep. So I've then immediately said I'd like to cancel said service, and it was done in a matter of minutes. In my experience, Cogeco does not care about their customers or customer retention. I've not generally had a problem with the services from Cogeco, and technical support was generally acceptable. But their prices kept rising and go to the point where I looked around and left when they wouldn't do anything for me.

I pay $50 for 40/10/unlimited service from Start. It's less than I was paying at Cogeco, and in fact I get more with the unlimited service. In addition, Start has been very proactive with their customer service in STARK contrast to my experience with Cogeco.

Cogeco's 60Mbps service is listed at $80, with a possible $5 discount if you have THREE services with them. That's $75 at best (which I wouldn't even qualify for), which is $10 more than Start's plan and doesn't include unlimited usage. If there's some unadvertised $45 price that's only offered to certain customers, frankly I find that underhanded and would rather not give a company like that my money.

Cable TV is all we have left with Cogeco, and it's only because other family members refuse to give it up. If Start has a workable IPTV solution, Cogeco will have their final chance to retain me as a customer. I won't hold my breath though, given past history. They don't want me as a customer and show no interest in retaining me, so I'll happily take my business elsewhere.
Wow, that's crazy you have had that bad of luck with them.

Not sure why my luck has been better, maybe it is area dependent, and different areas are offered different deals based on competition? Who knows........ still seems weird to me though.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I left cogeco last month. Got tired of calling into retentions yearly to renew my credits. I don't have time for that shit.

Paying $65 for 60/10 unlimited with start.ca now. I pretty much have access to 1 million times more content than I used to with cogeco now that I've discovered the genius of shield tv and kodi
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: I left cogeco last month. Got tired of calling into retentions yearly to renew my credits. I don't have time for that shit.

Paying $65 for 60/10 unlimited with start.ca now. I pretty much have access to 1 million times more content than I used to with cogeco now that I've discovered the genius of shield tv and kodi
You would have access to that with Cogeco, or any other ISP as well. Not just Start.ca.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
FWIW I'm paying $55 before tax with Cogeco for the 60/10 275GB (its regular $79.95). I get internet only with them, no other bundles, but I do have to call in every year to get the "promo" plan, but they don't argue, and I'm locked in for one year (I think it's about $60 if I cancel before the year is up).

I'm thinking about switching this year to another provider, I'll see what's available in another month or so.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Gutty96 wrote: You would have access to that with Cogeco, or any other ISP as well. Not just Start.ca.
Yes I know. But they wouldn't give me the same rates as start.ca plus their customer service really isn't nearly as good tbh.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote: You would have access to that with Cogeco, or any other ISP as well. Not just Start.ca.
Except that Cogeco's 60Mbps tier with unlimited usage is $110 (or $85 if you have THREE services with them). So against advertised pricing, nasa25 is saving $45/mo by going with Start over Cogeco, plus you get Start's awesome support.

Similarly, Cogeco's 40Mbps unlimited (which didn't even exist when I dropped internet) is $99/mo. I'm paying half that with Start, and again get their excellent service and support.
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
chdude3 wrote: Except that Cogeco's 60Mbps tier with unlimited usage is $110 (or $85 if you have THREE services with them). So against advertised pricing, nasa25 is saving $45/mo by going with Start over Cogeco, plus you get Start's awesome support.

Similarly, Cogeco's 40Mbps unlimited (which didn't even exist when I dropped internet) is $99/mo. I'm paying half that with Start, and again get their excellent service and support.
This is a thread about Cogeco retention prices, not their advertised prices.

I get 60/10/U for $45 with only TV as my other service on Cogeco retention.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Gutty96 wrote: This is a thread about Cogeco retention prices, not their advertised prices.

I don't know how you got 59% off of the advertised price of your internet plan. You must be an excellent negotiator.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: This is a thread about Cogeco retention prices, not their advertised prices.

that's excellent. we have been with cogeco for years as well. and i always call loyalty when our current deal expires. usually they offer pretty good deals to stay but this time not so much. I had unlimited 60/10 which i kept. i got basic 25 plus my mix 10 but paid extra for tsn and sports net. also included is a new hd receiver, no tivo's. $135/mo all in. you have a way better deal. i pushed the loyalty rep as bell has some pretty good deals right now but she wouldn't budge. i have a feeling if i said i was walking they wouldn't have cared.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: I don't know how you got 59% off of the advertised price of your internet plan. You must be an excellent negotiator.
Beats me. Truthfully it wasn't even a negotiation. I asked for a better deal, they offered me this, I said Okay done. I am actually more surprised others are having trouble with them, after how easy it was for me.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote: that's excellent. we have been with cogeco for years as well. and i always call loyalty when our current deal expires. usually they offer pretty good deals to stay but this time not so much. I had unlimited 60/10 which i kept. i got basic 25 plus my mix 10 but paid extra for tsn and sports net. also included is a new hd receiver, no tivo's. $135/mo all in. you have a way better deal. i pushed the loyalty rep as bell has some pretty good deals right now but she wouldn't budge. i have a feeling if i said i was walking they wouldn't have cared.
Ya, I am sure sooner or later I won't be able to get this price anymore, but until then I am happy.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Beats me. Truthfully it wasn't even a negotiation. I asked for a better deal, they offered me this, I said Okay done. I am actually more surprised others are having trouble with them, after how easy it was for me.
last year it was same for me - they offered a great deal to stay. looks like things have changed a bit. i think bell was pretty aggressive with five roll out last year so that may have had something to do with the deals cogeco was giving. if i could find a way to get reliable sports on kodi i would drop cable all together.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote: last year it was same for me - they offered a great deal to stay. looks like things have changed a bit. i think bell was pretty aggressive with five roll out last year so that may have had something to do with the deals cogeco was giving. if i could find a way to get reliable sports on kodi i would drop cable all together.
I am pretty sure Phoenix has reliable sports. Anything I ever want to watch I find pretty quickly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)