• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 8:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3179 posts
3546 upvotes

Coil Replacement Costs

Just wondering how much a front end coil replacement should cost. My father was quoted $1000 for a replacement (it might have included a few other related parts too), which seems a bit high given costs of a coil but just want to check what you guys think is a fair range. Its for a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback.
For Sale:
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2819 posts
1468 upvotes
Markham
I don't know exactly what is being replaced. The whole assembly (i.e. spring, strut mount, strut, boot)?
If that is, you are looking at roughly $600 in parts.
Then labour (1-2 hrs) + alignment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3179 posts
3546 upvotes
BDSL wrote: I don't know exactly what is being replaced. The whole assembly (i.e. spring, strut mount, strut, boot)?
If that is, you are looking at roughly $600 in parts.
Then labour (1-2 hrs) + alignment.
Yeah, I'm not too sure either because its through my father. I think its the spring, plus another part. He said he would need to leave the car at the shop for most of the day. What's normal for labour now? Also, is the $600 estimate for both front wheels or each?
For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6810 posts
3798 upvotes
Mississauga
Shop charges will vary depending on geography but I think at least $100 an hour is fairly common with dealerships charging somewhat more.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1786 posts
2228 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I'll make the assumption he'd getting both front strut assemblies + springs replaced. Along with that you'll require mounts, etc. If this is a dealer repair, $1000 wouldn't be unexpected.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12423 posts
7007 upvotes
Brampton
2 strut assembles
Likely the sway bar links
Alignment

+Labour

Yeh $1000 isn't out of line. Lowest possible cost would be around $600+ tax
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11810 posts
3471 upvotes
Ontario
Find out exactly what is being replaced & done to get a $1,000 repair bill.

Then we can give you an idea if its to expensive or not. You can get an idea of costs for parts here if you were to buy the parts and bring it to a shop to repair - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/maz ... mbly,15174
thelasthunter wrote: Just wondering how much a front end coil replacement should cost. My father was quoted $1000 for a replacement (it might have included a few other related parts too), which seems a bit high given costs of a coil but just want to check what you guys think is a fair range. Its for a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3179 posts
3546 upvotes
Thanks guys for all your input. Will find out which parts exactly aside from the coil spring. My father has got the ol' trusting senior syndrome lately and lacks specificity these days. The mechanic is non-dealership, one near Islington and Steeles, on his way to somewhere he goes and considered on the low end of pricing. Just don't want him being taken advantage of. Also that mechanic apparently does not do alignments, so that's not in the bill.
For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5984 posts
3538 upvotes
Ottawa
That's the problem with struts (vs coil-over shocks) - even if you're just replacing the coils, the car needs an alignment afterwards. In any case, the job requires hoisting the car, removing the wheels, removing the entire strut assembly, compressing the springs, etc. etc. Personally, if it was mine, if the springs sufficiently gone to require replacement, I would replace the entire strut assembly - more expensive part but slightly less labour. And if the shocks have never been replaced, at 11 years old, they should be.

Regardless, still needs an alignment. And, yes, $1000 is not far off.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5984 posts
3538 upvotes
Ottawa
Just looked it up on RA: cost of springs is ~1/2 the cost of an entire strut assembly. Monroe assemblies are ~$120 per wheel plus taxes and shipping. Roughly $360 for two (shipped with taxes inc). Garages pay a little more than that through NAPA and then mark them up and add labour. Plus many garages guarantee their labour for some period and will honour the part's warranty (not inc. their labour). And then there's those pesky shop charges etc etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1144 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I have done 2 mazda 3 and a mazda 5 front strut and coil replacements. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours including torching out the pinch bolts and knocking out the old ones from the knuckle, cleaning up.the bores, installing new and cleaning threads. Doesn't include the alignment. Mazda quoted my buddy 600 for one side for just the shock replacement. If I tried to save the shocks it would have taken me longer as I just airhammered them out from the bottom.

I would recommend replacement of both shocks and springs with quickstruts. You save on the labor of replacing the coil. You Get new shocks and don't have to worry if they get damaged during removal.

I would also recommend replacing the sway bar links at the same time as half of it is unbolted during the repair and they are cheap.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29707 posts
10428 upvotes
LOL for some reason I was thinking ignition coils from the title, then realised it's coil springs. Seems pricey yeah but what's wrong with the coil spring(s)? Broken? Unless you're looking to lower/mod the car, typically speaking coil springs can last the life of a vehicle. There's some cases they might sag but this was more true of older cars; the other problem is one may crack/snap. Otherwise not really a periodically replaced item. The struts, sure, the springs not so much.
Jun 21, 2006
830 posts
443 upvotes
Hello front complete struts $180-$220 each front sway bar end links probably need to get changed as well $30-50 each labour is 2 hours then alignment $100 total will be roughly $800 parts and labour