• Mar 5th, 2018 1:08 pm
[OP]
Sep 16, 2014
95 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Cold Draft air near the gas fire place floor

Hello All ,
Our home is 2011 build with a gas fireplace(vented gas fire place) and i observe there is cold air leaking from outside and the area around the fireplace to too cold.
I feel the air coming from outside and the floor is too cold near the fireplace. we are not using the fireplace .
Would this be the same for all others ? or is there an issue with my fireplace insulation ?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4556 posts
1926 upvotes
GTA
Is the pilot light on? It should be on to keep the inside of the fireplace warm during the winter.
Go outside and inspect the vent, there should be some kind of sealant around it.
Oct 28, 2011
42 posts
29 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
I have 2 different house which have gas fireplace, direct vent. One installed by home builder, one by previous owner. Both have cold air entering, and the bottom tray is very cold.

I checked the installation manual of it, and found that there is no baffle in the duct to prevent cold air from entering. The design was that the front glass panel is tightly seal using springs. I did try to open the glass, and examine the seal. It is really tight, so not the source of draft cold air.

By carefully study the design of the pivot light, burner, and I found that the burner is just hold by screws, and metal sheets for all those parts. There is no rubber, gasket, or seal around that area to prevent cold draft air from entering through the pivot light or burner area. I reached my hand and touch the bottom of the fireplace unit by removing the front bottom cover, and confirmed that it is very cold.

This year, I even keep the pilot fire/light on to see whether it makes any different. The answer is clearly that the heat it generates is far below the cold draft air it is leaking through. The top part of the glass panel is warm, but the entire floor around the firewall is very cold.

I will buy 1" thick foam the cover the entire fireplace
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16511 posts
18070 upvotes
Oakville
feels1 wrote: I have 2 different house which have gas fireplace, direct vent. One installed by home builder, one by previous owner. Both have cold air entering, and the bottom tray is very cold.

I checked the installation manual of it, and found that there is no baffle in the duct to prevent cold air from entering. The design was that the front glass panel is tightly seal using springs. I did try to open the glass, and examine the seal. It is really tight, so not the source of draft cold air.

By carefully study the design of the pivot light, burner, and I found that the burner is just hold by screws, and metal sheets for all those parts. There is no rubber, gasket, or seal around that area to prevent cold draft air from entering through the pivot light or burner area. I reached my hand and touch the bottom of the fireplace unit by removing the front bottom cover, and confirmed that it is very cold.

This year, I even keep the pilot fire/light on to see whether it makes any different. The answer is clearly that the heat it generates is far below the cold draft air it is leaking through. The top part of the glass panel is warm, but the entire floor around the firewall is very cold.

I will buy 1" thick foam the cover the entire fireplace
Why not remove the fireplace if you never use it?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4583 upvotes
Alberta
We never use our gas fireplace. I closed the damper for the cold air intake and don’t have a problem with cold air coming into the house.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10219 posts
5445 upvotes
Paris
Gas fireplaces are leaky for cold air and rarely installed correctly to mitigate it as most are done by lazy builders.
Jan 7, 2013
746 posts
414 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
With the pilot off, even if the fireplace is perfectly sealed, the firebox eventually becomes a cold metal box connected to the outside air by the vent, and you'll get a natural convection of inside air entering the top of fireplace enclosure, cooling down, and drifting out the bottom of the fireplace. (Ie: a reverse fireplace? Lol)

This creates a draft you feel. Keeping the pilot on helps to mitigate this.

You could also plug/cover the vent from the outside BUT MAKE SURE no one ever turns it on.

I found using foil tape to seal gas/ electrical penetrations and caulking between the enclosure and mantel helped to reduce these drafts.

My fireplace is in a "butt-out" from the house.

I've also seen magnetic, insulated fireplace covers online that you could look into. Easier to install/remove and prettier than foam.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6779 posts
3076 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Hmmm... we never use our gas fireplace either... pilot light off.

One time we used the mantle around it got hot and just didn't seem to be right... I'll have to post pics in separate thread one day.

Ours is like 2/3rds of the way to back of house and has glass opening on both sides [one to living/dining room and one to family room]. Family room side blocked mostly with sofa but not on living/dining room side AND is colder in that room but sure the small vaulted ceiling at front does not help keep heat either so combo of things.

Op: The sealing ideas suggested above may be options to take... if do then turn off pilot light.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6437 posts
1089 upvotes
I had an old fireplace, maybe 50 years old with significant cold draft problems in the winter. I never use it and last summer I had the gas turned off to it, I ripped it out and disposed of it and I removed the gas line going to it all the way back to the meter. I closed off vent openings and temporarily sealed them. This winter the drafts are gone. I'll eventually be installing an electric fireplace insert into the empty opening. It may not look as nice but it will be problem free.