• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2022 6:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6131 posts
2283 upvotes

cold/flu remedy for 2 year old - esp stuffed nose and phlegm

First off, tested covid negative twice using at-home tests, so I hope that's accurate.

My kid has the usual: wet cough, stuffed nose, runny nose, fever, and tons of phlegm. I suspect sore throat too but she can't talk so no way to confirm. But she's still got energy to play and fool around so I'm not worried at this point.

The phlegm is the biggest problem as it sometimes chokes her, to the point of vomiting occasionally too.

The stuffed nose and phlegm also disrupts breathing and sleeping, so there's never a good prolonged rest.

Anyone got some good advice?

thank you
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1303 posts
1182 upvotes
Toronto
Plenty of liquids to flush out her system and if the congestion in the nose is really bad, use one of those suction bulbs to clear it and disinfect after every use

Also try between Motrin, Advil or Tylenol as I find the effect varies (for my kids Motrin seems to work well for one and Tylenol the other)

The energy is a good sign so just will take time to pass over
Sep 23, 2011
286 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
We use the battery operated aspirator, bought on Amazon
Images
  • 63E96BE4-2DC7-4253-859B-17C638275AA2.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1839 posts
1421 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Why wife uses those kids nasal spray to help with the mucus and congestion. Not much you can go other than wait it out.
Nov 25, 2007
457 posts
76 upvotes
My kid was real bad, tons of flem. Best thing was hydrasense, 2 long sprays in each nostril before bed and after he got up. Then when needed during the day.
Jun 28, 2011
366 posts
650 upvotes
Everything everyone is recommending PLUS lots of water intake, lots. This helped my LO.
Oct 14, 2010
534 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
Sometime in a washroom or in a bathtub with the vent fan off so that the kid can inhale some steam and loosen up the gunk.
Always helped when my son was younger.