Parenting & Family

cold medicine for under 6y, homeopathic waste of money?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2016 2:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
755 upvotes
Vancouver

cold medicine for under 6y, homeopathic waste of money?

I have been using
http://www.boiron.ca/products/children/
They do not have one medicine to help both Nasal congestion and coughing.
they have one for each.

Since my 5yr has both conditions, I decided to look for one medication for both symptoms.
I went to SDM and I grabbed http://kids0-9.ca/cough_cold_medicine.html went to pharmacist to ask if it's ok to use this with Advil, since it already has ingredient for fever.

His first word was don't buy anything.
Reason is, it's homeopathic medicine which has no scientifically proven medical ingredients.
He said, it's close to sugar pill, placebo.
under 6 years old, there is no medicine for common cold.

I thought they do contain medical ingredients, even written on the boxes.
it's true, i have never really noticed any drastic improvements after giving these to my kid but I could say the same thing for any adult cold medications.

What are you thoughts?
I'll be sure to check with her doctor next time.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16090 posts
4583 upvotes
Markham
yes no cold medicine for under 6 year old
just Advil and tyrenol for fever.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2050 posts
729 upvotes
Edmonton
The only homeopathic one that might help would be a honey based cough syrup, but at that point you might as well just use honey (and any effect it might have is pretty short lived). Some also include a touch of vitamin C or zinc but it's more for bullet points on the bottle.

I've had pretty good luck with Halls and especially Fisherman's Friends, which are both menthol based. I usually hack them in half or quarters as they're a little big for kids otherwise, but they help with coughs and congestion to some extent. Pair that with acetaminophen or ibuprofen if they've got any headache and it's about all you can do.

It's had the side effect of making my daughters love Fisherman's Friends, weirdly enough.
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
it's true homeopathic medicines don't contain any of the active ingredient they claim too. The claim is that the water used for dilution retains the memory of the properties of the active ingredient and that's how it works. Laughable that anyone believes it.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3093 posts
1216 upvotes
For coughing honey is your best bet. It is the only thing that works for my toddler. Even better is Manuka honey, look it up. It is absolutely amazing.
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
I find the Boiron cold Coryzalia helps reduce the runny nose. The Stoidal made the cough worse for my son.
The Kids0-9 cough and cold doesn't seem to do much.

My pharmacist friend recommends giving around 2ml of Echinacea to kids when they have cough/cold symptoms. I buy the Life brand Echinacea tincture. Natural immune booster to help shorten the duration of the cold.

Another natural alternative immune booster is Elderberry syrup such as this one But my kids didn't like the taste.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24797 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
even adult stuff dont really work...

let it run its course....lots of water and rest.
May 12, 2014
907 posts
552 upvotes
Markham, ON
No one here does a vicks? I don't know if it works or not but when the kids get a cold we use vicks for everything and Tylenol for fever. Even if the vicks doesn't do anything it make me feel better that I'm doing something.
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Oh yeah I do the Vicks as well. Vicks on chest/back and Vicks on bottom of feet before sleep is good if kids have cough.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8672 posts
1862 upvotes
We've tried a number of these, they don't cure anything, they treat the symptoms. Some work better then others, it's YMMV. Boiron's Coryzalia helps reduce runny nose for our kid but doesn't last very long, effective for only 2 hours or so tops.

Kids 0 to 9 is pretty meh, we tried a bottle of it and haven't gone back.

There's another we have, can't remember what it's called, yellowish box with a purple top, that one seems to be effective at reducing runny nose for 6 hours so we keep that in stock. Doesn't do much for coughing, but reducing nasal congestion is desirable as it helps our kid sleep better which makes recovery faster.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2257 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
I found this holy grail of natural cold medicine for my kids ...sells at shoppers and Walmart I believe it's called helixia prospan? Something like that it's a green and white box but this stuff really really works and it taste like honey so the kids like taking it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9599 posts
1853 upvotes
Toronto
Heavenleigh85 wrote: I found this holy grail of natural cold medicine for my kids ...sells at shoppers and Walmart I believe it's called helixia prospan? Something like that it's a green and white box but this stuff really really works and it taste like honey so the kids like taking it
My buddy used Helixia on his Grandkids with good results.

I know Orange juice stored on the shelf for long periods loses it's goodness, but he swears by Tropicana as well.

I use Suro brand Kids Elderberry syrup as it's cheaper than adult and find that it works for my sinusitis etc.

The suro brand adult elderberry syrup has Echinachea but the kids one doesn't.

I therefore figured Echinicea may not be advisable for kids.

Non Pasteurized Honey is also not recommended for kids.

Kids have a developing immune system and most of the stuff given to them is for comfort rather than immune system boosting properties.

Vicks is highly recommended and lots of fluids.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2152 posts
240 upvotes
Mississauga
dgnr8 wrote: For coughing honey is your best bet. It is the only thing that works for my toddler. Even better is Manuka honey, look it up. It is absolutely amazing.
I just started reading about this yesterday. Do you know any local retailer that sells UMF15+?
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec
Homeopathy is a waste of money by definition. The combination of honey, Vicks, drinking lots of water and your loving care and attention are the best remedies.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3345 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/th ... marketing/

Some more information on these "alternatives". My opinion is not to pay for dilutions of common ingredients. Like the one that is just diluted honey. I give my kid a spoonfull of honey for his cough.
Anything homeopathic is a complete waste and essentially just water. Any time you want to turn around and say "Maybe one of those homeopatic ingredients actually does help and mainstream science just hasn't figured that out yet?". Remember that homeopathic method says that diluting something with even more water makes it stronger and more potent than it was before you diluted it.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5610 posts
2266 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ask the experts of homepathy killers David and Collete Stephan
Jan 3, 2007
230 posts
13 upvotes
We have tried them all and found that the Hyland's nighttime cold/flu really works to calm her cough at night. When she was little we used the Corzylia and it seemed to be good too. Other than Vicks and the occasional spoon of Hyland's, that's all we do. Oh and a cold mist humidifier at night.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
My wife loves using this stuff even though I explain to her what it is multiple times.
She bought some for our kid when he was complaining and it worked great.. He stopped complaining!
One day we were running out so I filled the rest of it with tap water... To this day they still don't know... I'll have to eventually buy a new bottle though since its starting to look old and they might figure it out.

Homeopathy works wonders!