Home & Garden

Cold Water Inlet Placed At The Bottom Of The Hot Water Tank Still Available?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2022 7:41 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario

Cold Water Inlet Placed At The Bottom Of The Hot Water Tank Still Available?

My electric 40 gallon Rheem hot water tank has the cold water inlet at the bottom of the tank instead of the top.

I will need to replace it some day and I wonder if this feature is still available because the tank has limited clearance at the top.
Also it seems a better location as dip tubes bringing the cold water down to the bottom of the tank disintegrate and need to be replaced.

Googled it and come up with zilch.
Help please.
3 replies
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not sure if helpful, but if you decide to go tankless instead, majority of those have bottom infeed instead of the top.

If you run PEX, you shouldn't need much headroom at the top if you end up having to change to a top infeed.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1310 posts
761 upvotes
Oshawa
Tankless units rarely allow you to connect PEX A or PEX B directly. Most if not all have a minimum copper or braided supply measurement, the most recent Bosch unit I installed called for 18”.

Jon Lai wrote: Not sure if helpful, but if you decide to go tankless instead, majority of those have bottom infeed instead of the top.

If you run PEX, you shouldn't need much headroom at the top if you end up having to change to a top infeed.