Automotive

Cold Weather? Barely any brakes in the morning.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2018 9:45 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge

Cold Weather? Barely any brakes in the morning.

My sister's 2010 Acura TSX.

I told her it's probably just the weather. She hasn't had a brake fluid flush with 170k.

I called a few shops but nothing open but one thinks it could be the Master Cylinder?

Is it just the weather because it's fine afterwards, then again this is the first time she noticed this so is something failing?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
In this frigid temperature the brakes stiffen up as the brake fluid is cold. You should always pump your brakes 2-4 times before you shift into drive/reverse to get the fluid moving. At first the brake pedal will feel stiff but after you depress it a few times it will become softer (normal).
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
happened to me the other day with my '12, first time aswell. as chimaican mentioned, a couple of pumps and she was back online
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
That's what I told her before she leaves.

Strange because previous vehicles we never experienced it.

I called another shop and says it's just the weather, they said no need for the brake flush either.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
chimaican wrote: In this frigid temperature the brakes stiffen up as the brake fluid is cold. You should always pump your brakes 2-4 times before you shift into drive/reverse to get the fluid moving. At first the brake pedal will feel stiff but after you depress it a few times it will become softer (normal).
Exactly what I do before any winter drive, keep pumping the brakes so the fluid circulates.

It could be a leak somewhere in the master cylinder that is a possibility. Make sure the lid is shut tight.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bembol wrote: That's what I told her before she leaves.

Strange because previous vehicles we never experienced it.

I called another shop and says it's just the weather, they said no need for the brake flush either.
170k on original fluid? It's well overdue for a change. I wouldn't go to that shop lmfaooo
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
radeonboy wrote:
It could be a leak somewhere in the master cylinder that is a possibility. Make sure the lid is shut tight.
Hmmm... Could also be the lack of fluid pressure too. OP should also check fluid level too.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
bembol wrote: My sister's 2010 Acura TSX.

I told her it's probably just the weather. She hasn't had a brake fluid flush with 170k.

I called a few shops but nothing open but one thinks it could be the Master Cylinder?

Is it just the weather because it's fine afterwards, then again this is the first time she noticed this so is something failing?
My 2011 rdx is showing a brake warning...ill try the suggested
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
Possibly moisture in the system that gells up
Get the system flushed
Acura also had an updated vacuum hose and check valve for the booster for this problem but can't recall which years it was for. The vacuum hose also had to be angled properly so there's no dips in the line that traps moisture.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
chimaican wrote: Hmmm... Could also be the lack of fluid pressure too. OP should also check fluid level too.
It was the first thing I checked.

Thank for the replies.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
My abs came on last night heading home and had minimum brake on the first light. After few mins, all's well.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Makes you think why some makes say to flush the brake fluid every 2-3 years (ex Honda) while some never mention it ever in the manual (ex Kia)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
radeonboy wrote: Exactly what I do before any winter drive, keep pumping the brakes so the fluid circulates.

Brake fluid does not circulate, that's why you need to open the bleeders at each corner when you want to replace the fluid.

OP, your sis needs a brake fluid flush at 170k and 7 years. You should also inspect her rotors and pads to make sure they aren't worn out, or wearing badly.
If she barely has any brakes in the morning I would be seriously worried about her brakes, unless she's using track pads which I'm sure she isn't. Very little braking ability indicates a more serious potential problem.
It could be that her last brake change put on super shitty cheap pads.
It could be that she has too much water in her brake fluid, which is freezing in the cold weather and causing the problem. She may have more system damage from rust if it's that bad.
It could be that the calipers are in serious need of maintenance.

I'd have her brakes inspected ASAP at a quality shop you trust, not a quick lube or anything like that.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
sorry to threadjack

my car in the garage just above freezing this winter (in balmy British Columbia) will make a noticeable thud when I first release the brakes after sitting overnight, i did the pads/rotors/fluid and bled the lines about 2 years ago. I don't drive lotsa milage and car is garaged daily. It's a louder thud if it's been sitting for a few days.

but no noticeable changes to performance

should I be worried at all?
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
twitchyzero wrote: sorry to threadjack

my car in the garage just above freezing this winter (in balmy British Columbia) will make a noticeable thud when I first release the brakes after sitting overnight, i did the pads/rotors/fluid and bled the lines about 2 years ago.
no changes to performance

That's just the rust breaking loose from the rotor and pads.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote: That's just the rust breaking loose from the rotor and pads.
+1, probably this. Twitchy, are your rotors nice and clean? Does the thud happen when your first try to move?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
twitchyzero wrote: sorry to threadjack

my car in the garage just above freezing this winter (in balmy British Columbia) will make a noticeable thud when I first release the brakes after sitting overnight, i did the pads/rotors/fluid and bled the lines about 2 years ago. I don't drive lotsa milage and car is garaged daily. It's a louder thud if it's been sitting for a few days.

but no noticeable changes to performance

Or its the shoes freezing to the parking brake drum (but releasing when you start moving)

This is assuming when you say release you mean the parking brake.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: That's just the rust breaking loose from the rotor and pads.
yep that explains it I think, it's when I first let go of the brakes, the thud is coming from the left front corner
engineered wrote: +1, probably this. Twitchy, are your rotors nice and clean? Does the thud happen when your first try to move?
yep, then it's good until it sits overnight again.

I thought very superficial rust is normal? too lazy to take off the wheel to apply brake clean
tebore wrote: Or its the shoes freezing to the parking brake drum (but releasing when you start moving)

This is assuming when you say release you mean the parking brake.
no it's not the e-brake
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.