Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Coleman 40W Folding Solar Panel with pwm $99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 2:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11575 posts
3970 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Canadian Tire] Coleman 40W Folding Solar Panel with pwm $99

40w poly/solar with the 7 amp controller for 99. Good deal in comparison the 20w goes on sale for 65 bucks but no controller which is generally 21 bucks on sale by its self. so roughly 79 bucks for the 40w version vs 65 for 20w.

This is a pretty sweet deal for boat owners and campers etc. Or anyone needing rechargeable power for off the grid projects.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2123 posts
696 upvotes
How the hell is this 40W? I smell fishy marketing lies.

By their math 40W = 2.3A × 12V.

Reality tells me 2.3A × 12V = 27.6W.
Oct 19, 2013
130 posts
193 upvotes
Chomedey, QC
FreezingCanada wrote: How the hell is this 40W? I smell fishy marketing lies.

By their math 40W = 2.3A × 12A.

Reality tells me 2.3A × 12A = 27.6W.
you mean 12V?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14763 posts
2517 upvotes
Toronto
GoombaXIV wrote: you mean 12V?
Math is right. Unit isn't.

But yes 2.3A x 12V definitely does not equal 40 watts.
Feb 10, 2007
464 posts
201 upvotes
It charges at 17.4 V, not 12. A battery requires a higher voltage to charge, even your car's alternator will charge it's 12 V battery at 14.4 V.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11366 upvotes
Socially Distanced
ryar wrote: It charges at 17.4 V, not 12. A battery requires a higher voltage to charge, even your car's alternator will charge it's 12 V battery at 14.4 V.
thats a waste, they could have designed it for 14V instead of 17V for greater output.
Feb 10, 2007
464 posts
201 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: thats a waste, they could have designed it for 14V instead of 17V for greater output.
Yeah, wouldn't the charge controller limit it to 14 V anyways? 17 V on a 12 V battery can't be good for it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11575 posts
3970 upvotes
Winnipeg
the charge controller would never let it go over 14.4v and only when needed and still regulate/float at 13.4 lowered amps while monitoring overvoltage and asborption rate for deep cycle/regular/agm.

Never never plug a solar panel truly rated above 5w straight onto a 12v battery you'll fry it eventually without a pwm. A pwm, basically for those who have no idea of its role is kinda like a smart battery charger for your cars but designed for solar energy purposes. Not that coleman pwm is the best but its good enough for a 40w panel.

Its I believe a 17v peak panel. remember solar bats can be 6v,12,24 or 36v etc depending on the battery or your array. You'll pick a pwm or MPPT for the storage capacity you would need. The panels can be tethered you can keep adding. 100w start looking at a 30amp pwm etc many then leap into mppt.

But this is a good portable power unit for a 12v for a gate or boat winch for your out of the way launch lights around a farm or maintaining your boat's 12v for the weekends or your the troller's battery etc.(the 20w is popular for that)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4239 posts
3073 upvotes
Montreal
Looks like a good way to add some interior light to the shed. Still kinda expensive for the purpose though.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11366 upvotes
Socially Distanced
lead wrote: the charge controller would never let it go over 14.4v and only when needed and still regulate/float at 13.4 lowered amps while monitoring overvoltage and asborption rate for deep cycle/regular/agm.

Never never plug a solar panel truly rated above 5w straight onto a 12v battery you'll fry it eventually without a pwm. A pwm, basically for those who have no idea of its role is kinda like a smart battery charger for your cars but designed for solar energy purposes. Not that coleman pwm is the best but its good enough for a 40w panel.

Its I believe a 17v peak panel. remember solar bats can be 6v,12,24 or 36v etc depending on the battery or your array. You'll pick a pwm or MPPT for the storage capacity you would need. The panels can be tethered you can keep adding. 100w start looking at a 30amp pwm etc many then leap into mppt.

But this is a good portable power unit for a 12v for a gate or boat winch for your out of the way launch lights around a farm or maintaining your boat's 12v for the weakends along with the troller's battery etc.(the 20w is great for that)
So basically this thing is wasting 3V because of bad design or almost 20% so its actually 27W not 40W, thats awful
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1117 posts
599 upvotes
Canada
ryar wrote: It charges at 17.4 V, not 12. A battery requires a higher voltage to charge, even your car's alternator will charge it's 12 V battery at 14.4 V.
With the cheap charge controller that comes with the unit it will charge at voltage the battery is at. If the battery is low and has 11 volts it will only charge 25 watts. To get full output of the solar panel you need an expensive Maximum Power Point Tracking (mppt) charge controller.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11575 posts
3970 upvotes
Winnipeg
Quentin5 wrote: So basically this thing is wasting 3V because of bad design or almost 20% so its actually 27W not 40W, thats awful
No the panel could but the pwm is rated for 12v so it depends on your power bank. They don't give choices at CT but you pick your pwm to go for your bank like 3X6v's in an array for 18v. 2x12v's into 24v. If you know how much energy you need how often you need the power and the conditions optimal for charge to suit your needs etc. You don't live off a 40w panel lol.

Mono>poly>amorphic different styles of panel all produce energy less efficiently. You complain about squeaking every last drop of free power you should have started there. Mono is more money and mppt are a hell alot more as well both are more efficient.

Go check prices, I know you could find a chinese 10amp controller for 10 bucks off amazon or ebay but a 40w poly aluminum framed panel with a controller from a reputable company well sir please post it!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11366 upvotes
Socially Distanced
lead wrote: No the panel could but the pwm is rated for 12v so it depends on your power bank. They don't give choices at CT but you pick your pwm to go for your bank like 3X6v's in an array for 18v. 2x12v's into 24v. If you know how much energy you need how often you need the power and the conditions optimal for charge to suit your needs etc. You don't live off a 40w panel lol.

Mono>poly>amorphic different styles of panel all produce energy less efficiently. You complain about squeaking every last drop of free power you should have started there. Mono is more money and mppt are a hell alot more as well both are more efficient.

Go check prices, I know you could find a chinese 10amp controller for 10 bucks off amazon or ebay but a 40w poly aluminum framed panel with a controller from a reputable company well sir please post it!
I'm assuming this panel and the controller are designed for a 12V lead acid battery, so if the charge controller just burns off the excess voltage then its wasting about 3V, but if its converting it to 13-14V then its odd that they would design a panel to put out such an inconvenient voltage that needs converting and conversion is also never 100% efficient, the cheaper you go the less efficient it usually is,.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15485 posts
10147 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Can I use this to maintain my RV's Nautilus battery at a non-electrical site? For how long?

Our fridge, oven, and furnace runs off propane.
Slightly off topic, beyond lights, actually, what kind of outlet power does an RV battery give connected to this panel?... such as charging the kids' electronics for a rainy day, or using a toaster? I guess the microwave is out of the question, lol
(Have always booked an electrical site when with the wife and kids)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11366 upvotes
Socially Distanced
AncasterRFD wrote: Can I use this to maintain my RV's Nautilus battery at a non-electrical site? For how long?

Our fridge, oven, and furnace runs off propane.
Slightly off topic, beyond lights, actually, what kind of outlet power does an RV battery give connected to this panel?... such as charging the kids' electronics for a rainy day, or using a toaster? I guess the microwave is out of the question, lol
(Have always booked an electrical site when with the wife and kids)
This will give about 25W, a microwave will use 1000-1500 watts, toaster probably over 1000 watts, in a day you might have 10 hours of sun giving 250W/hrs, enabling you to run your microwave for 5-10 mins and the same for your toaster (maybe less)
electronics charging (phones, video games, flashlights) it would be fine for
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
3266 posts
1436 upvotes
Dumb dumbs!!!! The panel is 17v because it has to b designed for more than just 12 o'clock sunny days. When it's cloudy you probably get 14v. On sunny days u get 17v. Either day u will get enough to power the controller.

Your car can do 169km/hr but u drive it at 110.
If I have answered your question, Hit the Ol' THUMBS UP❗
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1050 upvotes
A small town north o…
AncasterRFD wrote: Can I use this to maintain my RV's Nautilus battery at a non-electrical site? For how long?
I left a car battery hooked up to one for the entire winter. The battery was removed from the car and taken into an unheated cottage, and the panel was placed in a window. The setup was left untouched for five months. When I finally went up there this spring, I put the battery back in the car and it fired right up, and has been running fine ever since.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15485 posts
10147 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Thank you very much for your answers.
Dec 20, 2007
958 posts
338 upvotes
I'll be buying a car battery and using it with an adaptor on my cpap machine to go camping this summer...
Would this be able to charge the battery during the day so I can get multiple days use out of it?