• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 8:48 am
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
420 posts
458 upvotes
Montreal

Coleman 425 conversion to Propane and pressure question

I have coleman 425 that burns with a yellow flame and covers all our pots and espresso machine with a fine layer of soot. While I was looking for a replacement generator on Amazon ( which I found at CNDTire) I found this contraption that converts the stove and allows it use 1 lbs propane bottle. https://www.amazon.ca/StanSport-185-Sta ... B004RDQT92

Very cool now I don't have to buy a new stove as my wife wanted a modern stove like everyone else. This is great, best of both world I get the satisfaction of holding to a classic stove and my wife can't complain. The coleman stove can still run with the original coleman gas and tank or with the propane generator.

Now I want to take things up a notch. My local Costco fills up propane tanks for a fixed cost no matter the actual amount of propane that goes in the tank. So I want to burn off the left overs in my 20 lbs tanks with a contraption like this. :

I got the cable the allow to refill 1 Lbs tanks but rather, I would like to use the 20 Lbs tanks with coleman 425, as seen on this picture. I was almost good to test this out but I ran up against two female coleman style connectors.

I also think I need to another regulator to go from the 20 Lbs tank high pressure to the low pressure input on the Stansport device.

Have any of you here done this ? If so could you please share the details of what I am missing. I think this might be common setup on boats and RV's.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1905 posts
878 upvotes
London
naimc wrote: I have coleman 425 that burns with a yellow flame and covers all our pots and espresso machine with a fine layer of soot. While I was looking for a replacement generator on Amazon ( which I found at CNDTire) I found this contraption that converts the stove and allows it use 1 lbs propane bottle. https://www.amazon.ca/StanSport-185-Sta ... B004RDQT92

Very cool now I don't have to buy a new stove as my wife wanted a modern stove like everyone else. This is great, best of both world I get the satisfaction of holding to a classic stove and my wife can't complain. The coleman stove can still run with the original coleman gas and tank or with the propane generator.

I was almost good to test this out but I ran up against two female coleman style connectors.

I also think I need to another regulator to go from the 20 Lbs tank high pressure to the low pressure input on the Stansport device.

Have any of you here done this ? If so could you please share the details of what I am missing. I think this might be common setup on boats and RV's.
You have a "new" Coleman.
Mine has the cylindrical brass tank. :)
Thanks for the link to that propane adapter, as I didn't know it existed.

You have the wrong propane hose.
There is a style (I use one) which fits the tank on one end and matches the stove (or anything that take 1lb tanks) at the other.
Commonly available at places like Canadian Tire.
The stove end looks like the 1lb tank threaded end.
You may already have it, as you appear to have 2 hoses connected.

If your converter uses 1lb tanks directly, you don't need any further regulator with a 20lb. (same pressure)
You just need the proper hose.