• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2021 7:54 am
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
624 posts
657 upvotes
Montreal

Coleman 425 conversion to Propane and pressure question

I have coleman 425 that burns with a yellow flame and covers all our pots and espresso machine with a fine layer of soot. While I was looking for a replacement generator on Amazon ( which I found at CNDTire) I found this contraption that converts the stove and allows it use 1 lbs propane bottle. https://www.amazon.ca/StanSport-185-Sta ... B004RDQT92

Very cool now I don't have to buy a new stove as my wife wanted a modern stove like everyone else. This is great, best of both world I get the satisfaction of holding to a classic stove and my wife can't complain. The coleman stove can still run with the original coleman gas and tank or with the propane generator.

Now I want to take things up a notch. My local Costco fills up propane tanks for a fixed cost no matter the actual amount of propane that goes in the tank. So I want to burn off the left overs in my 20 lbs tanks with a contraption like this. :

I got the cable the allow to refill 1 Lbs tanks but rather, I would like to use the 20 Lbs tanks with coleman 425, as seen on this picture. I was almost good to test this out but I ran up against two female coleman style connectors.

I also think I need to another regulator to go from the 20 Lbs tank high pressure to the low pressure input on the Stansport device.

Have any of you here done this ? If so could you please share the details of what I am missing. I think this might be common setup on boats and RV's.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2352 posts
1421 upvotes
London
naimc wrote: I have coleman 425 that burns with a yellow flame and covers all our pots and espresso machine with a fine layer of soot. While I was looking for a replacement generator on Amazon ( which I found at CNDTire) I found this contraption that converts the stove and allows it use 1 lbs propane bottle. https://www.amazon.ca/StanSport-185-Sta ... B004RDQT92

Very cool now I don't have to buy a new stove as my wife wanted a modern stove like everyone else. This is great, best of both world I get the satisfaction of holding to a classic stove and my wife can't complain. The coleman stove can still run with the original coleman gas and tank or with the propane generator.

I was almost good to test this out but I ran up against two female coleman style connectors.

I also think I need to another regulator to go from the 20 Lbs tank high pressure to the low pressure input on the Stansport device.

Have any of you here done this ? If so could you please share the details of what I am missing. I think this might be common setup on boats and RV's.
You have a "new" Coleman.
Mine has the cylindrical brass tank. :)
Thanks for the link to that propane adapter, as I didn't know it existed.

You have the wrong propane hose.
There is a style (I use one) which fits the tank on one end and matches the stove (or anything that take 1lb tanks) at the other.
Commonly available at places like Canadian Tire.
The stove end looks like the 1lb tank threaded end.
You may already have it, as you appear to have 2 hoses connected.

If your converter uses 1lb tanks directly, you don't need any further regulator with a 20lb. (same pressure)
You just need the proper hose.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
624 posts
657 upvotes
Montreal
arisk wrote: You have a "new" Coleman.
Mine has the cylindrical brass tank. :)
Thanks for the link to that propane adapter, as I didn't know it existed.

You have the wrong propane hose.
There is a style (I use one) which fits the tank on one end and matches the stove (or anything that take 1lb tanks) at the other.
Commonly available at places like Canadian Tire.
The stove end looks like the 1lb tank threaded end.
You may already have it, as you appear to have 2 hoses connected.

If your converter uses 1lb tanks directly, you don't need any further regulator with a 20lb. (same pressure)
You just need the proper hose.
I got the proper hose at Canada tire last summer and tried it out last week on our 1st camping trip of the season, 7 days and never had to think of running out case.

Pro's -
- I don't have to worry about running out of coleman fuel.
- Cheaper to run using the 20 lbs refillable tank, no throw away cylinders
- Pots no longer have soot due to the dirty fuel nozzle that would never stay clean

Con's Well not everyone can lug a 20 lbs tank of propane camping, wife was not impressed, though we would blow up. I hide the tank in my diy small travel trailer. I told her look a milk crate is super safe, it protects the milk cartons from breaking up, it will surely keep the propane safe.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2352 posts
1421 upvotes
London
naimc wrote: I got the proper hose at Canada tire last summer and tried it out last week on our 1st camping trip of the season, 7 days and never had to think of running out case.

Pro's -
- I don't have to worry about running out of coleman fuel.
- Cheaper to run using the 20 lbs refillable tank, no throw away cylinders
- Pots no longer have soot due to the dirty fuel nozzle that would never stay clean

Con's Well not everyone can lug a 20 lbs tank of propane camping, wife was not impressed, though we would blow up. I hide the tank in my diy small travel trailer. I told her look a milk crate is super safe, it protects the milk cartons from breaking up, it will surely keep the propane safe.
Good it is working out.

You've replaced the worry of running out of one fuel with another, so I would disagree with that "pro".
I know you won't empty that 20lb, but also naptha goes a long way too.
You wouldn't run out of it either, and it is arguably more compact than propane.

I switched to propane years ago for these reasons:
- Less fuss.
No filling tanks and pumping.
I could handle it, but with others involved, who often didn't know how to pump properly, propane is convenient.
- Naptha just got stupidly expensive.
I think some is just marketing.
It used to be more common, and priced better.
Now it is "specialty" and priced as such.
- I take a compact propane BBQ. One common fuel is a better system.

I too carry a 20lb in a utility trailer.
Carrying in a ventilated area is ideal, so maybe your situation isn't great if it is enclosed.
Perhaps consider a ventilated compartment, or an external mount.
I don't think a milk crate offers much protection from anything but tipping.
They are perfect for that, and I use one for that purpose.

For others:
There are also 5 and 10 pound for people wanting something more compact, yet refillable.
They tend to be more expensive than 20lb though.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12948 posts
16563 upvotes
Vancouver
Responding to this from last summer:
naimc wrote: My local Costco fills up propane tanks for a fixed cost no matter the actual amount of propane that goes in the tank. So I want to burn off the left overs in my 20 lbs tanks with a contraption like this.
Don't understand this. You want to "get your money's worth" on your fill, so you are going to burn off and waste what's already there? One way you pay X amount and have a full tank, the other way you also pay X amount and have a full tank, but you have to unnecessarily burn off a bunch of it before you start. That makes no sense.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3645 posts
2412 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: Responding to this from last summer:

Don't understand this. You want to "get your money's worth" on your fill, so you are going to burn off and waste what's already there? One way you pay X amount and have a full tank, the other way you also pay X amount and have a full tank, but you have to unnecessarily burn off a bunch of it before you start. That makes no sense.

I think he meant using the leftover to cook stuff on the coleman, not burn it off with nothing on top.

I like my 425 and burning naptha is super easy even in -15, but yeah the price of coleman fuel isn't any cheaper than other fuel.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2352 posts
1421 upvotes
London
Kiraly wrote: Don't understand this. You want to "get your money's worth" on your fill, so you are going to burn off and waste what's already there? One way you pay X amount and have a full tank, the other way you also pay X amount and have a full tank, but you have to unnecessarily burn off a bunch of it before you start. That makes no sense.
I don't really understand the reasoning of using the using the leftovers with the coleman stove vs. emptying the tank with the appliance that was originally being used.
I assume the OP has a reason, and that it is just not expressed well.
It wasn't the main subject of the thread anyways.

In your example, the OP isn't paying X amount both times.
If it isn't a flat rate, you pay (X minus amount still in tank).

No propane is being wasted.
The "leftovers" are used for cooking with the Coleman stove.