None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11087 posts
13589 upvotes
Vancouver

Collabria cards to be nerfed on Jan 26 2021

Didn't see this mentioned. Collabria cards are issued by many (most?) Canadian credit unions. Looks like Meridian CU is not affected by this. Bad news for those who liked the across-the-board 2% on the Visa Infinite, and the 1% across-the-board and 2% gas on the no-AF card.
https://www.collabriacreditcards.ca/web ... losure.pdf

Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 6.53.59 PM.png
140 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5506 posts
4056 upvotes
Okay. So no cards can beat MBNA RWE now.
2% on everything when redeemed on travel and selected gift cards.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
💳 Credit card combo (2.5-7.5% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14459 posts
12361 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Whelp. Will no longer be worthwhile to MS those Collabria cards :lol:

They were oddly too good for Canada, along with the CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE...
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jul 3, 2017
270 posts
185 upvotes
FFS

Why do the U.S. has no problem with multiple options for base 2% cards and up here we have almost nothing?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1900 posts
2989 upvotes
BC
PhobMX wrote: FFS

Why do the U.S. has no problem with multiple options for base 2% cards and up here we have almost nothing?
Interchange fees are higher in the US than in Canada. An uncapped 2% card is not sustainable in Canada, the math simply doesn't work.

Since interchange fees end up in the price you pay for products and services, you are paying for your own cashback so in the end it doesn't really matter.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14459 posts
12361 upvotes
Going to the Moon
rhw123 wrote: Interchange fees are higher in the US than in Canada. An uncapped 2% card is not sustainable in Canada, the math simply doesn't work.

Since interchange fees end up in the price you pay for products and services, you are paying for your own cashback so in the end it doesn't really matter.
We all know pricing is based on many more variables than that...many things can be purchased for less in the US than in Canada despite the higher merchant fees.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Mar 14, 2014
901 posts
1158 upvotes
rhw123 wrote: Since interchange fees end up in the price you pay for products and services, you are paying for your own cashback so in the end it doesn't really matter.
So the losers are those that cannot, or do not pay for their purchases with a CC. Those that pay with a CC should be thankful to those paying with debit or cash for subsidizing their purchases; great system.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1900 posts
2989 upvotes
BC
titaniumtux wrote: We all know pricing is based on many more variables than that...many things can be purchased for less in the US than in Canada despite the higher merchant fees.
That is besides the point. The part of the price that makes its way to the credit card issuer is the part that covers the interchange fee.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
1900 posts
2989 upvotes
BC
flyjazz wrote: So the losers are those that cannot, or do not pay for their purchases with a CC. Those that pay with a CC should be thankful to those paying with debit or cash for subsidizing their purchases; great system.
Correct. And to a lesser extent, those who use lower tier CCs (which have lower interchange fees and consequently lower rewards) also subsidize those who use higher tier CCs (which have higher interchange fees and consequently higher rewards). This is also why in Canada higher tier CCs have minimum income and/or annual spending requirements, this is a compromise the CC companies made to keep average interchange fees down.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11087 posts
13589 upvotes
Vancouver
rhw123 wrote: Correct. And to a lesser extent, those who use lower tier CCs (which have lower interchange fees and consequently lower rewards) also subsidize those who use higher tier CCs (which have higher interchange fees and consequently higher rewards). This is also why in Canada higher tier CCs have minimum income and/or annual spending requirements, this is a compromise the CC companies made to keep average interchange fees down.
Yep, classic case of the poor subsidizing the rich. Hey, I like my premium credit cards as much as the next RFDer, but I don't pretend not so see the unfairness of it all.
Mar 14, 2014
901 posts
1158 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Yep, classic case of the poor subsidizing the rich. Hey, I like my premium credit cards as much as the next RFDer, but I don't pretend not so see the unfairness of it all.
The only solution is to give those paying cash a discount as I've seen at some US gas stations for example. Don't know if those same gas stations would apply the discount to debit type transactions?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1370 posts
1579 upvotes
Alas, it was on borrowed time in the first place. A good excuse for me to re-evaluate my card usage. Personally most of my usage accepts Amex, so I can move most everything there to SCP. Come to think of it, most of the remaining is multiplier eligible on a few free cards these days.
🏦 Banking: Alterna Bank (1%, No fees), Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (5pts dine/3pts drive, forex), Amex SCP (2%, rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, non-Amex spend)
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1224 posts
1373 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Well, everyone wanted lower interchange fees here...
And we're getting them. (Though not nearly as low as many countries.) This is why Collabria and many other credit card issuers are devaluing their cards.

However, I'm not sure exactly when the lower interchange fees are taking effect. Visa and Mastercard delayed it because of Covid.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5690 posts
3763 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote: Okay. So no cards can beat MBNA RWE now.
2% on everything when redeemed on travel and selected gift cards.
Until their devaluation.

This is why when my cap1 travel aspire got devalued, I didn't really jump on my next "keeper" card.

I got CT triangle WE but that was more for roadside and bill pay. Also got hsbc for the sign up bonus and FYF.

I think MBNA RWE will be devalued too. After all, it is owned by TD.

Still waiting to see what Muse offers.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45589 posts
6052 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think it's safe to say that anyone still with the mindset of having a good enough "keeper" will be disappointed. Anything you find yourself feeling comfortable about will only be temporary - probably no more than 2 years. Might as well keep churning.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
1485 posts
903 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I think it's safe to say that anyone still with the mindset of having a good enough "keeper" will be disappointed. Anything you find yourself feeling comfortable about will only be temporary - probably no more than 2 years. Might as well keep churning.
Agreed completely. I did my due diligence and reviewed everything I could for my Cap1 replacement, but nothing wow’ed me.
In the end, I’m going to permanently keep one card that has decent rebates and a good warranty policy on purchases, for the 1 or 2 purchases I make in a year where I don’t want to lose the extended warranty.
The rest of the time, I’ll just churn WB’s and meet the minimum spends.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14459 posts
12361 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Jon Lai wrote: I think it's safe to say that anyone still with the mindset of having a good enough "keeper" will be disappointed. Anything you find yourself feeling comfortable about will only be temporary - probably no more than 2 years. Might as well keep churning.
Arkaine wrote: Agreed completely. I did my due diligence and reviewed everything I could for my Cap1 replacement, but nothing wow’ed me.
In the end, I’m going to permanently keep one card that has decent rebates and a good warranty policy on purchases, for the 1 or 2 purchases I make in a year where I don’t want to lose the extended warranty.
The rest of the time, I’ll just churn WB’s and meet the minimum spends.
Even churning comes and goes. Can only do so many new apps, PS's, etc. Grab what works for you and churn when you can. Do both and get what you can... I don't anticipate any super exciting products to launch during the pandemic.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45589 posts
6052 upvotes
Richmond Hill
titaniumtux wrote: Even churning comes and goes. Can only do so many new apps, PS's, etc. Grab what works for you and churn when you can. Do both and get what you can... I don't anticipate any super exciting products to launch during the pandemic.
New AP cards should be coming this/next week :)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2784 posts
2488 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
I guess it's the end of 1% back no fee cards and 2% back annual fee cards. Interchange rates are low and are getting lower with each year which means every bank is nerfing their cards. Brim will probably do the same and Home Trust too. Collabria is the biggest of the small issuers and if they can't afford this certainly Brim and Home Trust can't as well.

I usually use my AMEX card for purchases since it's 2% back on everything and their customer service is good, so I'm not very worried about this. However, it's annoying that they're also upping interest rates during a pandemic where we currently have the lowest BoC rates ever.

I don't think they're going to change the redemption rates, so each point is worth one cent still for cashback. It's just that you'll earn fewer points.

Also am I the only person who's sick of tiered cards? Just give me a flat rate, stopppppp.