Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1941 posts
2357 upvotes
New Brunswick

Collabria Fraud Experience

Now that I received my replacement card I thought I'd give my experience with the Collabria fraud department. I received a text message stating that there were some potential fraudulent transactions on my card on December 13. I responded that I did not make them and it advised me to call the fraud number. An automated system had me go through transactions determining which ones were made by myself and which ones were not. After completion the system advised me the account would be closed. Due to the ambiguity of the statement I opted to talk to a representative which happened immediately. She saw I had already confirmed things but asked me to verify an additional charge which was also fraud. Afterwards she canceled the card and advised a new one would be issued. A few hours later a new card was issued (I could see the 4 digits change on MyCardInfo) and it arrived today, December 24th. I activated it in MyCardInfo with no problem so no call was required. During that period of time 2 refunds successfully went to the old card and a payment I scheduled via MyCardInfo before the fraud occurred was also processed successfully.

Over all I had zero problems and it was pleasant enough. Collabria hasn't caused me any woes yet!
Banking: Alterna Bank (2.25%), Motive Financial (4.1%)
Investing: Qtrade Direct Investing
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Mobile: Eastlink 20GB Rollover ($39/mth)
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
My wife had her Meridian card stolen and nearly $500 worth of charges were made on it before we found out and called to cancel it. Had to do the same automated which-transactions-were-not-yours thing you did. The charges were removed and a replacement card issued quite promptly.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
894 upvotes
That's how it's suppose to go, isn't it?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1941 posts
2357 upvotes
New Brunswick
In an ideal world, yes. The world is not always so kind though.
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Feb 16, 2018
137 posts
55 upvotes
Glad that they identified frauds at the outset. However, it would be better for Collabria to start with MFA and text/email alerts for account activity (as with RBC.BMO, Rogers Bank cards)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3176 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve never really had any problems with Collabria’s customer service so it’s good to see that I’m not the only one.
Nov 23, 2019
66 posts
109 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Sounds better than my experience with BNS who tried to pull their own fraud on me after a fraud incident.
To start I got a robocall about fraud on my card that sounded like just a regular old scam call. I called them and verified, identified 2 fraudulent online purchases totaling $4K. They canceled the card, changed the number and sent me a new one.
Then they skimmed a bunch of cashback off my account, ~$240 although I don't recall the exact amount. They made me call over and over going in circles with "investigations" with some CSRs even claiming the cashback difference was reclaimed from the fraudulent purchases being refunded (lol wut?) and eventually they finally promised they would pay out the difference at the next payout day a year away after dealing with their "office of the president". Fast forward one year no money shows up so I had to involve the ombudsman. I did get most of my money but they left off like $10 or something, I cut my loss not wanting the headache from them any longer.

Your experience sounds fairly straightforward in comparison.
Mar 16, 2013
21 posts
Lethbridge, AB
Does Collabria have any options for card notifications when a purchase is made? They don’t have an app, so push notifications are out. But are there any SMS or email notification options?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1941 posts
2357 upvotes
New Brunswick
There's no notification mechanism. You have to log in and check transactions.
Feb 16, 2019
35 posts
14 upvotes
The Collabria card I have through my CU does show (on the MyCardInfo site) an option for text alerts. I have not tried it yet though.

I've mostly been ok with the Collabria experience after my CU changed from Desjardins to them. That is until recently when I did a card product switch. It's been less than smooth despite them telling me everything would transfer over and the same account remains, etc. Still not totally resolved. If anyone is interested I can detail the issues, but kind of off topic here I guess.
Mar 16, 2013
21 posts
Lethbridge, AB
MundanePotato wrote: The Collabria card I have through my CU does show (on the MyCardInfo site) an option for text alerts. I have not tried it yet though.

I've mostly been ok with the Collabria experience after my CU changed from Desjardins to them. That is until recently when I did a card product switch. It's been less than smooth despite them telling me everything would transfer over and the same account remains, etc. Still not totally resolved. If anyone is interested I can detail the issues, but kind of off topic here I guess.
I would appreciate any more you might want to share.

To help keep this thread on topic, I have spun this off into another thread, if you’d like to move this tangent discussion over there.