Shopping Discussion

Collecting PC Optimum Points if Paying via Gift Card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 1:59 am
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
928 posts
50 upvotes

Collecting PC Optimum Points if Paying via Gift Card?

Wondering whether points get collected even if you pay with a gift card? I have about $250 worth of stuff I have to redeem RBC points on, and Shoppers Drug Mart seems like a prime candidate for most of it (even though it'll take me 1-1.5 years to use up). My question is if anyone has experience with whether you still keep earning PC Optimum points on the PC Optimum offers if your payment method is a gift card? I've never been sure of the answer myself.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24194 posts
12228 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, one of the best things to do.

Another tip, gift cards purchase anything in the store (product wise, cannot purchase additional gift cards).

Think about that ;)
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
928 posts
50 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: Yup, one of the best things to do.

Another tip, gift cards purchase anything in the store (product wise, cannot purchase additional gift cards).

Think about that ;)
Sorry, is what you wrote literally what you mean, or is there a hidden meaning/tip in there about saving more money that flew over my head?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21651 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
tribe1689 wrote: Sorry, is what you wrote literally what you mean, or is there a hidden meaning/tip in there about saving more money that flew over my head?
Literal

BUT ... it always makes sense to buy GCs when they are on promo or discount
Lots of sources

Many of us follow this the RFD Ongoing Annual GC MegaThread

various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... 0-2344941/

So buy your GCs when they are on sale somewhere
Or come with a points / miles promotion

And use them, to gain more points / miles

Good tip for the likes of Gas Cards, Sobeys Group, SDM / PCO, Chapters / Indigo, Hotels, Restaurants etc

Best value is when you STACK not once but 2 or more times ... deals, sales, promos or Loyalty Points
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7428 posts
4333 upvotes
tribe1689 wrote: Wondering whether points get collected even if you pay with a gift card? I have about $250 worth of stuff I have to redeem RBC points on, and Shoppers Drug Mart seems like a prime candidate for most of it (even though it'll take me 1-1.5 years to use up). My question is if anyone has experience with whether you still keep earning PC Optimum points on the PC Optimum offers if your payment method is a gift card? I've never been sure of the answer myself.
I hope it was an auto correct or typo when you said redeem RBC points.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24194 posts
12228 upvotes
Toronto
ml88888888 wrote: I hope it was an auto correct or typo when you said redeem RBC points.
They are probably redeeming RBC points for gift cards, what do you mean?
Not a good use of points I guess?
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24194 posts
12228 upvotes
Toronto
tribe1689 wrote: Sorry, is what you wrote literally what you mean, or is there a hidden meaning/tip in there about saving more money that flew over my head?
Some of both. I just don't like advertising it because then head office will kill it.

The key here is everything, that's more useful to some people than others.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7428 posts
4333 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: They are probably redeeming RBC points for gift cards, what do you mean?
Not a good use of points I guess?
the title said 'Collecting PC Optimum Points if Paying via Gift Card?'. How is RBC point related to PCO points?
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24194 posts
12228 upvotes
Toronto
ml88888888 wrote: the title said 'Collecting PC Optimum Points if Paying via Gift Card?'. How is RBC point related to PCO points?
Because they don't want to redeem their RBC points for Shoppers Drug Marr gift cards if they lose out on earning Optimum points because they are paying with a gift card.

That's what they were trying to figure out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21651 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ml88888888 wrote: the title said 'Collecting PC Optimum Points if Paying via Gift Card?'. How is RBC point related to PCO points?
Gotta read the OP question again

They are looking at trading in their RBC Points for a SDM / PCO GC

And wondering if they’ll be able to earn PCO Points on purchase made with the PCO GC

The answer is YES.

As PCO DOES NOT give out points when purchasing a GC

BUT ... does give out points when someone pays with a GC ... they just consider it another form of payment

The OP is clearly trying to find a way to maximize points (and therefore their spending power / freebies ratio)

Looks like a good plan from where I sit