Personal Finance

Collections on Telus Account set up in my name

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 10:33 pm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2020
1 posts

Collections on Telus Account set up in my name

Me and my boyfriend currently have home and mobility services with Telus since we moved in together about 2 1/2 years ago. Last week I got a text message from a collection agency advising I owe over $2000 for an old account. When they told me the address, it was familiar because it belongs to an ex boyfriend of mine. When I asked how any account could get $2000 or more in arrears, I was told that the balance included payment for a television and a modem. I am 100% certain I didn’t authorize services in my name and know nothing about a television. When I tried to contact my ex boyfriend, he blocked me. The address where the services apparently went to has since been foreclosed because he didn’t pay his mortgage. I don’t know what to do because if this gets reported, it will hurt my credit rating which I have worked very hard to get it back to “good” it’s almost “very good” but something like this would really set me back. This is t the first thing that my ex somehow signed up for using my information. There was also a cell phone bill that I had to file a police report and send to the carrier. What I would like to know is

1.) wouldnt the credit agency or Telus have to have something to prove a contract existed between them and myself?

2.) Does anyone know what needs to exist for them to legally come after me. Surely, they have to have something other than my name.

3.) a few weeks ago, I ported my cell phone number over to my boyfriends account with Telus and that HAS to be how Telus got in contact with me. Are they allowed to do something like that? I d dealt with them for over 2 years for the account that is only under hi boyfriends name but I’m listed as an authorized user and about a month ago, started using a 2nd line that he had set up for me over a year ago and had been paying for (it was set up in my name) but all of a sudden after moving this phone number they now want over 2000 from me. Pleas if anyone has any information that can help, I would really appreciate it.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2267 posts
1674 upvotes
So was that account in your boyfriend’s name or it’s in both of your names? If it’s your boyfriend’s, simply send a request for proof of debt and request all correspondence happen via mail. Send this via registered mail. Then dispute it with Equifax and Transunion and see if it goes away (having it removed from EQ and/or TU doesn’t mean the debt is gone but if they also don’t send you anything in the mail, they can’t legally collect).

If there was your name on the account as well, you are out of luck and can be held responsible for the full amount.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1943 posts
1814 upvotes
if the name on the account was both of yours or just yours you are out of luck. your credit is already shot. meaning telus sold the amount owing to a collections agency. it will take 7 years of good payments to get out of this hole. as for the money owing tell the collections agency i only have let’s say 1000 bucks. take it or leave it. you can. bargain with them. never let them know you have the money.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10021 posts
5167 upvotes
Markham
"This is t the first thing that my ex somehow signed up for using my information. "

So for TELUS, this is your phone? Were you the one who signed the contract?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12352 posts
8786 upvotes
Edmonton
If your ex opened up an account under your name, are you willing to press charges? That may be your path to clearing your name.

C