Students

Which College Accounting Program Is better - Got 5 Offers

[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto

Which College Accounting Program Is better - Got 5 Offers

First off, as a CPA working at a Big 4 Accounting firm I do understand that College is not ideal for Accounting or any other business related field. That being said, selecting one the programs below is the only option for a family friend of mine. All of these programs are accredited by CPA and allow you to enter the PEP program. I am not familiar with colleges and do not know about how their rep holds up in the industry. The 5 offers he has gotten are:

1. George Brown - Honours Bachelor of Commerce- Financial Serviced
2. Seneca - Honours Bachelor of Commerce - International Accounting and Finance
3. Sheridan - Honours Bachelor of Business Administration- Accounting
4. Humber - Bachelor of Commerce - Accounting (Please note this is not Guelph Humber)
5. Conestoga - Bachelor of Business Administration - Accounting, Audit and Information Technology

I conducted a quick Linkedin search to see how graduates from these programs were doing. I noticed Conestoga graduates seemed to be employed at some well known companies. However this may just have merely been unrepresentative of the overall program. Please share your insights if you know about these programs. Kindly explain why you gave your recommendation as well

Many may suggest switching to a University afterwards however this is not an option.
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1627 posts
628 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Desii wrote: First off, as a CPA working at a Big 4 Accounting firm I do understand that College is not ideal for Accounting or any other business related field. That being said, selecting one the programs below is the only option for a family friend of mine. All of these programs are accredited by CPA and allow you to enter the PEP program. I am not familiar with colleges and do not know about how their rep holds up in the industry. The 5 offers he has gotten are:

1. George Brown - Honours Bachelor of Commerce- Financial Serviced
2. Seneca - Honours Bachelor of Commerce - International Accounting and Finance
3. Sheridan - Honours Bachelor of Business Administration- Accounting
4. Humber - Bachelor of Commerce - Accounting (Please note this is not Guelph Humber)
5. Conestoga - Bachelor of Business Administration - Accounting, Audit and Information Technology

I conducted a quick Linkedin search to see how graduates from these programs were doing. I noticed Conestoga graduates seemed to be employed at some well known companies. However this may just have merely been unrepresentative of the overall program. Please share your insights if you know about these programs. Kindly explain why you gave your recommendation as well

Many may suggest switching to a University afterwards however this is not an option.
any of them have co-op?

i would choose Bcom over Bba
Jan 24, 2010
65 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It sounds like they don't have a choice when it comes to the type of degree (Bcom vs. Bba). They're getting it from a college, and colleges usually have less flexibility when offering degrees than universities.

As a student at Seneca, I can say that my school is well respected at least in my field, and part of the reason for that is co-op. If your friend has the option to do co-op, take it! That's their niche as a college student, and they should embrace that and not try to do things the university way. Another reason Seneca is well respected is just difficulty. Brutal exams and high expectations.

That said, this is computer programming, not accounting. And this is diploma, not degree. I don't know how well that translates over to Seneca's accounting degree offerings. Hopefully someone with experience in those programs in the different schools can shed more light on this!
Aug 22, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
I recently completed my studies at Seneca College, although it was for the Accounting and Finance advanced diploma (3 years, not a degree). A few of my friends transferred to the International Accounting and Finance degree program.

From my experience and my friends' stories, it is like matt0401 said; the exams are brutal. It is also dependent on the professor. That aside, if your family friend is willing to commit his time to studying and completing homework and assignments, then it won't be very hard. I bold the homework part because many of my classmates -- the ones who rarely or never did their homework -- failed their mid-term exams, dropped the course and retook it the next semester. My friends in the degree program have had at least one co-op work term, and they said it was a great way of experiencing the accounting career first-hand. I also took co-op in my diploma program and it was an excellent way of gaining work experience.

I cannot speak for the other colleges, but from speaking with students from other schools (during my co-op), I have been told that George Brown is more oriented towards medical fields and Humber is, well, not the best place to be if you cannot tolerate mistakes by the Administration Office.

Best of luck to your friend, and I apologize for referring to him as a "he" if he is in fact, a she. Remember that he could ask to transfer the credits to a different school/program if it isn't the one for him.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
Seneca exams are brutal? Did something change in the last 2-3 years? I remember cruising by without much effort at all. In fact atleast half of the class did as long as they didn't skimp on study too much (not talking all nighters or 10 hour study weekends at all).

That was engineering technology too by the way. But even with the electives (took a couple of literature and economics ones each) it was smooth sailing.

OP: why exactly are these the only options to begin with?