Students

College or University?

[OP]
Feb 20, 2011
229 posts
117 upvotes

College or University?

I already have a degree in accounting but I've been struggling to find any real employment in the last two years in my field and have mostly been doing other lines of work. I was in Edmonton for school and was working there but I recently moved back up to my hometown in northern Canada for temp work and I was then let go when the contract was up.

I was catching up with a friend of mine that worked in the oilsands and he suggested I look at NAIT and SAIT since they offer programs that have great opportunities. I did and I ended up applying for the power engineering tech 2 year program at both schools. I recently found out that I was accepted at both schools but because of all the applicants I was placed on a wait list so instead of starting in fall of 2013 I'll be starting in fall of 2014. My family thinks that I should enroll back into university in engineering instead, after telling them that most of the power engineering type work will probably be shift type work they were disappointed. My family is also very traditional asian so shift work in the oilsands to them is like a death sentence. I would have maybe 3 or 4 courses that could be transferred and I would be able to start this fall. My main issue is cost and time at this point. My first degree was pretty much all paid for through scholarships and northern Canada bursaries which I've used up and don't qualify for anymore. Both programs seem to have great employment prospects although the friend that is working in the oilsands was an engineer grad that's not working in his field but that's just outlier example. The other issue which is a petty one is pride. Going to college after a degree feels like a downgrade. I know it shouldn't bother me but there is always this lingering feeling at the back of my head that's telling my that I can do better.

I'm just looking for others input and advice on my situation.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13814 posts
1329 upvotes
You got waitlisted with a university degree?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32993 posts
3454 upvotes
Winnipeg
you had enough schooling, just make use of your accounting degree and try to apply everywhere until you get a job, my friend is an accountant and he works in Mississauga, there are still jobs for accountants.
Mar 9, 2008
739 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
Accounting is pretty saturated though...if it makes you feel any better, I know people with the same degree as you (and worse) and they are bitterly unemployed.

Most of the bcomm unemployed people I know though majored in marketing and other "soft" subjects...so at least the skills you have are a bit more technical and marketable.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
phenakami wrote: I already have a degree in accounting but I've been struggling to find any real employment in the last two years in my field and have mostly been doing other lines of work. I was in Edmonton for school and was working there but I recently moved back up to my hometown in northern Canada for temp work and I was then let go when the contract was up.

I was catching up with a friend of mine that worked in the oilsands and he suggested I look at NAIT and SAIT since they offer programs that have great opportunities. I did and I ended up applying for the power engineering tech 2 year program at both schools. I recently found out that I was accepted at both schools but because of all the applicants I was placed on a wait list so instead of starting in fall of 2013 I'll be starting in fall of 2014. My family thinks that I should enroll back into university in engineering instead, after telling them that most of the power engineering type work will probably be shift type work they were disappointed. My family is also very traditional asian so shift work in the oilsands to them is like a death sentence. I would have maybe 3 or 4 courses that could be transferred and I would be able to start this fall. My main issue is cost and time at this point. My first degree was pretty much all paid for through scholarships and northern Canada bursaries which I've used up and don't qualify for anymore. Both programs seem to have great employment prospects although the friend that is working in the oilsands was an engineer grad that's not working in his field but that's just outlier example. The other issue which is a petty one is pride. Going to college after a degree feels like a downgrade. I know it shouldn't bother me but there is always this lingering feeling at the back of my head that's telling my that I can do better.

I'm just looking for others input and advice on my situation.
Based on this, I would say go back for the engineering degree. You don't want to put shame and taint on your family bloodlines.
Aug 12, 2012
105 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Syne wrote: You got waitlisted with a university degree?
College is first come, first serve for a lot of programs. I have friends who applied after the equal consideration date and were waitlisted, even with fantastic GPAs.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2011
229 posts
117 upvotes
Syne wrote: You got waitlisted with a university degree?
It's first come first serve and spots were limited.
JK400 wrote: Based on this, I would say go back for the engineering degree. You don't want to put shame and taint on your family bloodlines.
My family has always wanted me to work in a more "prestigious" type of work which is why I went with accounting even though I found it insanely boring. If I started university at an older age instead of at 18 then I would have done things differently but can't do much about it now. My mother owns a restaurant in my hometown where we get a lot of mining camp workers so she thinks I will probably end up like them if I were to work in the oilsands. They're nice, spend a lot and tip well but they can be rude and swear a lot. There have also been a few occasions were a fight has broken out here.
May 3, 2012
83 posts
6 upvotes
I don't know . . . this sounds fishy, because you should still be able to find a job in accounting that allows you to pursue a designation. Whats your GPA? Social skills? What parts of Canada are you applying? If you need to move, do so. Yes, accounting is boring for most people, that's why I did not choose that concentration for my Bcomm. Regardless, they make a good money. I'm not even from a great school and many of the people I know get co-op easily and are hired by a big 4.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4078 posts
405 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Who cares what your parents think. Do what you want, it's not them that has to deal with waking up every morning only to go to a crappy job. You're in North America the land of opportunity, screw social stigmas.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
499 upvotes
phenakami wrote: after telling them that most of the power engineering type work will probably be shift type work they were disappointed.
phenakami wrote:

My family has always wanted me to work in a more "prestigious" type of work...My mother owns a restaurant in my hometown
!!!

Also there isn't anything prestigious about accounting. Not that I think there's anything wrong with it, but it's a pretty average middle class job.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
rugbykit wrote: College is first come, first serve for a lot of programs. I have friends who applied after the equal consideration date and were waitlisted, even with fantastic GPAs.
That was their mistake. The equal consideration deadline for competitive programs is and always is Feb 1st. All apps up to that date are processed according to marks, supplemental materials if required, etc. After the equal consideration deadline, your app is looked at after those that met the deadline and only if there are spots open. For competitive programs, that really means, past the deadline, don't waste your money on an app as you're not getting in...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13814 posts
1329 upvotes
Right, just to clarify.. I'm assuming anyone who is serious about getting into a program is going to apply on time.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Mar 9, 2008
739 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
Have you considered healthcare instead?

I think a career as a healthcare professional like respiratory therapist or ultrasound tech is a lot more prestigious than accountant...why not shoot for something like that? I think NAIT/SAIT offer similar programs. Excellent career prospects once you're done too.
Aug 12, 2012
105 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
CSK'sMom wrote: That was their mistake. The equal consideration deadline for competitive programs is and always is Feb 1st. All apps up to that date are processed according to marks, supplemental materials if required, etc. After the equal consideration deadline, your app is looked at after those that met the deadline and only if there are spots open. For competitive programs, that really means, past the deadline, don't waste your money on an app as you're not getting in...
Yeah, these friends were people who thought they'd have no problems getting a job after graduation, realized they were wrong and applied for college at the last minute thinking they'd be a shoe-in since their GPAs were great. It's surprising to me how many people try this.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2011
229 posts
117 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: That was their mistake. The equal consideration deadline for competitive programs is and always is Feb 1st. All apps up to that date are processed according to marks, supplemental materials if required, etc. After the equal consideration deadline, your app is looked at after those that met the deadline and only if there are spots open. For competitive programs, that really means, past the deadline, don't waste your money on an app as you're not getting in...
I'm not too sure what the equal consideration date is at nait and sait. For nait I applied on the day the program was open for applications in early October and for sait I applied a couple days after registration was open in late october. The only good news is that I am accepted but two years is a long wait.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)