Health & Wellness

Colonoscopy fun

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2023 10:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
4218 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…

Colonoscopy fun

I noticed many people are scared of getting this after googling, but after I did mine, it's really nothing. This is more of a PSA. Go and get screened if invited. Could save your life - colon cancer is an awful way to go down with stomach abscess, blocked intestines, pain, etc.

As part of the obligatory RFD posts, costs: Peglyte laxatives. These are kept behind the pharmacist:

$33.99 Rexall
$36.99 Shopper's Drug Mart
$24.99 Loblaws

This Peglyte thing comes in a 4L empty bottle with powder at the bottom. You fill it up with water at home.

The prep can be seen as awful. You have to drink 4L of this Peglyte shit the day before. You'll be spending the entire 2-hour Peglyte consumption interval on the toilet (and there are 2 of these 2-hour intervals where you drink 2L each time). You can't eat, but you can take transparent fluids like apple juice/non-coloured Gatorade, which is no problem. Since I'm fat, I decided not to consume any energy sources for 36 hours (from the start of the prior day to end-colonoscopy). The Peglyte tastes like saccharin-laced Gatorade without the fruity smell or tanginess. Not bad...unless you have to drink 4L of it.

I went to the clinic; they stuck me with a hand IV. When I was in the scope room, they told me to lie on my left side and skootch over to the end of the bed, and I remember waking up with no pain/cramps/anything - though apparently, I got an opiate dose? Pretty pleasant experience overall because I remember none of it. The anaesthetic used was propofol, which felt pretty clean for a knockout drug. I woke up slightly dazed, but it was gone within minutes to an hour - I felt fully functional...?. They say you can't drive for 24 hours after the anaesthesia. This particular clinic makes sure you have another adult to transport you back.

All in all, I was in and out in 2 hours. Most of it was waiting.

So don't be afraid to get one of these if you get a screening request. Colon cancer is the 4th deadliest cancer, but it's easily detected/screened as a mitigation measure. It also takes years to develop so you have a fighting chance. Sometimes they'll just cut out polyps with the colonoscopy probe (polyps can become cancerous after a few years).

Edit: The only concern I would have are the risks they outline in the consent form. They will repeat it to you during the procedure. Odds are low though 1/x * 10^3, but every medical procedure is obligated to report risk to obtained informed consent.
Last edited by ADenariusSaved on Jan 17th, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 8, 2013
516 posts
741 upvotes
I’ve heard it recommended for 50+. Has that guideline changed?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5562 posts
3050 upvotes
Toronto
The prep is worse than the procedure. Especially if they add a laxitive onto the peglyte.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7237 posts
4888 upvotes
SW ON
Thanks, OP! We need more posts like this. I hope your results are good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
4218 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Thanks! I'm good, had a bit of a bleed scare. Going to jack up insoluble fibers and get rid of nitrates/nitrites.

The prep is inconvenient for sure, but I'm accustomed to multi-day fasts. You'll probably want to conserve your wipe strokes cuz your ass will get sore (using Kirkland paper). You'll be going to the washroom every 10-15 minutes - basically it feels like any Peglyte you drink is discarded immediately. This is definitely a 2 day allocation.

Peglyte requires you to consume 2L in 2 hours, so I broke it down in 8 x 250 mL doses. Then I had to do it again 6 hours later.

All in all, not a horrid experience. Think they snaked the cam all the way to the ileum.

Yeah, the guidance for screening is 50+, and 10 year intervals from then. Odds are low at young age, but if you're an obese sedentary guy who had a history of eating processed meats (lots of dudes nowadays) that thing can creep earlier (it's starting to). Best prevention is daily movement and (in)soluble fibers, and staying away from processed meats and burnt stuff (which is basically the best tasting cheap food). Oh yeah, smoking, that increases cancer everywhere in the body, even your todger* oddly enough (guess the arsenic has to come out somehow...).
*new vocab from Prince Harry's audiobook

I didn't want anyone to skip out on the procedure from fear, people do. It's really nothing. I thought it'd be uncomfortable but I was asleep the whole way through. Weird experience. You just wake up and everything is done, IV is out, no pain etc...
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
4218 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
ROYinTO wrote: The prep is worse than the procedure. Especially if they add a laxitive onto the peglyte.
Is it that Dulcolax? I didn't read the colonoscopy instructions so I told the pharmacist, sure I'll buy everything mentioned on this paper. It turned out to be $3.xx bucks. Didn't end up using it. I think it was used under some condition of not being able to use 4L of Peglyte.

Peglyte is basically high powered gatorade without the fruitiness or tanginess and loaded with a shitton of minerals so you don't dehydrate and die from all the pure liquid diarrhea you'll be passing. It is also the cause of all the liquid you'll be spewing out the other end. I think in that entire 36 hour period, I only had an additional glass of pure water. Rest was Peglyte. Felt better than I usually did while fasting, because I don't usually dose my sodium and potassium minerals properly (Peglyte has like 3-4 g amounts of Na/K - multiples of what you'd need in a day). You cannot go anywhere during the day-prior cleanse.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5562 posts
3050 upvotes
Toronto
ADenariusSaved wrote: Is it that Dulcolax?
I think so.
One or the other would have done the job. I've done the Peglyte alone & it worked. Both IMHO was overkill.

Odd that in the end, thin sliced mushrooms were coming out. I think they were sticking to the sides of the intestines as everything else got washed out.
I'm surprised they were not on the "do not eat" list.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1574 posts
1221 upvotes
Reposting something I posted before.

Colonoscopy is the most thorough test, but it takes longer, and requires a lot of preparation (diet and medication), and is not done very frequently.
If you are at high risk (close relative has had colon cancer), then this is the suggested screening tool.

But if you are at average risk, the general recommendation in Canada now is to screen with a fecal immunochemical test (FIT), which is very easy to do at home, and doesn't require preparation. You can do the FIT test very couple of years (so you are getting more frequent screening), whereas Colonoscopy might be every 10 years. FIT has been the primary test in Europe and Australia for many years.

New England Journal of Medicine article on pros and cons of each test:
Stool tests for occult blood (guaiac testing and fecal immunochemical testing [FIT]) are predominantly used in Europe and Australia, whereas colonoscopy is the predominant screening method in the United States.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1108895#

Canadian guidelines and suggestions
https://canadiantaskforce.ca/guidelines ... al-cancer/

https://www.cancercareontario.ca/en/typ ... /screening#
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23570 posts
22530 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
multimut wrote: Reposting something I posted before.

Colonoscopy is the most thorough test, but it takes longer, and requires a lot of preparation (diet and medication), and is not done very frequently.
If you are at high risk (close relative has had colon cancer), then this is the suggested screening tool.

But if you are at average risk, the general recommendation in Canada now is to screen with a fecal immunochemical test (FIT), which is very easy to do at home, and doesn't require preparation. You can do the FIT test very couple of years (so you are getting more frequent screening), whereas Colonoscopy might be every 10 years. FIT has been the primary test in Europe and Australia for many years.

New England Journal of Medicine article on pros and cons of each test:
Stool tests for occult blood (guaiac testing and fecal immunochemical testing [FIT]) are predominantly used in Europe and Australia, whereas colonoscopy is the predominant screening method in the United States.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1108895#

Canadian guidelines and suggestions
https://canadiantaskforce.ca/guidelines ... al-cancer/

https://www.cancercareontario.ca/en/typ ... /screening#
Ya …
I’ve done the poop test a few times
Not had a colonoscopy thus far
Imagine that will happen soon enough
(too soon if you ask me … based on the stories I’ve read … not looking forward at all)
But at my age
I think it’s inevitable that at some point it’s going to be recommended

I don’t doubt the science on the benefits (cancer prevention = caught early )
But I do wonder at the cons of having your intestines entirely vacated all at once
Natural flora disrupted
And then probed by a foreign object
Don’t honestly think the body was ever meant to do this on its own
So it does give me pause
But hey I am just a layperson / patient …
I’ll do it when the time comes cuz I trust the medical community’s expertise
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
4218 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
PointsHubby wrote: Ya …
I’ve done the poop test a few times
Not had a colonoscopy thus far
Imagine that will happen soon enough
(too soon if you ask me … based on the stories I’ve read … not looking forward at all)
But at my age
I think it’s inevitable that at some point it’s going to be recommended

I don’t doubt the science on the benefits (cancer prevention = caught early )
But I do wonder at the cons of having your intestines entirely vacated all at once
Natural flora disrupted
And then probed by a foreign object
Don’t honestly think the body was ever meant to do this on its own
So it does give me pause
But hey I am just a layperson / patient …
I’ll do it when the time comes cuz I trust the medical community’s expertise
No disruptions to me but I'm a fairly young dude...
You just reminded me to grab my Kirkland High-Protein Probiotic Greek Yogurt...

You won't even see/feel/hear the foreign object. There is always procedural risk though, they will outline that on the medical consent document. The odds were pretty low. They were telling me before the colonoscopy and I was 'yeah yeah, just shove it up there'.

Wonderful experience for me though, 5 stars. I'm just happy nothing nefarious was going on in there as my doctor and I might have suspected. Basically it's like being roofied and not realizing what happened, then going back to normal life as if nothing happened. Usually you get your results right away as it's the gastroenterologist doing the scope with the help of an anaesthetist, they're there already, why not?

At the same time though, I'm a bit screwed up in the head, and not eating for 36 hours is not unusual to me during a cut cycle. But also, you're allowed to have clear nutrient-containing fluid - like clear juice/broth etc. So you don't have to starve for 36 hours. I just did it for funsies.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8894 posts
5162 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Parents got colonoscopy few years back.

The liquid to drink is sometimes the 4L jug with powder or they give you two powder packages to make 2 1L solutions that you drink at certain hour. The latter requires you drink good amounts of liquids every hour.

Your medications may also be restricted for a week to a day [vitamins, bp meds, etc.].

No nuts/seeds week before.

Advisable to go to dairy free 2-3 days before procedure and less fibre as well.

Can use vaseline or similar to help that butt.

Older people are advised to do procedure in am.

Since there you could get gastroscopy done at same time, if needed.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 8, 2007
1230 posts
431 upvotes
BC
Colonoscopy and FIT test can be life savers. Relative had intestinal symptoms for years before finally getting both tests done too late and they were positive for colon cancer. Passed away within a year from an unexpected lung problem that may have been related. Smoking from years earlier might have been the main cause. Alcohol, diet, and lack of exercise were other possible causes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
4218 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
adams7 wrote: Colonoscopy and FIT test can be life savers. Relative had intestinal symptoms for years before finally getting both tests done too late and they were positive for colon cancer. Passed away within a year from an unexpected lung problem that may have been related. Smoking from years earlier might have been the main cause. Alcohol, diet, and lack of exercise were other possible causes.
Sorry to hear that. Jesus, that's a lot of bad factors. Was it a dude? Usually dudes ignore their health. So they quit smoking but were ultimately killed for it. Yeah, I heard it takes 15+ years to purge all the negative effects of smoking out.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-awa ... -time.html

Once you study biology, chemistry, and organic chemistry. You'll never go near a combustible inhalation source. Especially a cigarette where they pack a lot of other dubious shit in there that it almost feels sadistic. Like drinking paint thinner/Drain-O or something for fun. Smokers also make 20% less than a non-smoker according to the NY Federal Reserve, nasty all around. Isn't it expensive too?

Alcohol also increases digestive cancers, from the mouth to ass and ass to mouth. I think avoiding colon cancer is just preventing really bad chems from sitting in your intestines for too long. So if you're eating fiber and moving around, you're more likely to shit out the bad stuff that's bombing out your intestinal cells like nitrosoureas.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2005
2547 posts
1422 upvotes
SW Ontario
I had one done last summer - finished the prep (bi-peglyte) and swore I would never do this again

Two hours before my procedure was scheduled the hospital called and said they were short staffed and had to cancel the app't

I was livid! It's a good thing someone else answered the phone and took the message!

I had no intention of rescheduling, but decided to give them one more chance - and thankfully it was completed this time! And I passed with flying colours LOL

But I agree with PointsHubby "But I do wonder at the cons of having your intestines entirely vacated all at once Natural flora disrupted" because my system (which was working fine like clockwork before the procedure) hasn't been the same since
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
4218 posts
3464 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
tvwatcher wrote: I had one done last summer - finished the prep (bi-peglyte) and swore I would never do this again

Two hours before my procedure was scheduled the hospital called and said they were short staffed and had to cancel the app't

I was livid! It's a good thing someone else answered the phone and took the message!

I had no intention of rescheduling, but decided to give them one more chance - and thankfully it was completed this time! And I passed with flying colours LOL

But I agree with PointsHubby "But I do wonder at the cons of having your intestines entirely vacated all at once Natural flora disrupted" because my system (which was working fine like clockwork before the procedure) hasn't been the same since
I'm much better now, that cleanse probably helped me out! But I've been eating probiotic yogurt...Kefir would probably help, can grow that shit at home with milk and kefir culture - which you can probably get for free.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 17, 2002
7676 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
tvwatcher wrote: But I agree with PointsHubby "But I do wonder at the cons of having your intestines entirely vacated all at once Natural flora disrupted" because my system (which was working fine like clockwork before the procedure) hasn't been the same since
This is the part they don't really talk to you about (at least my doctor didn't). They really should advise or even prescribe something to help your intenstines get back healthy bacteria. I had a hard time with this as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5562 posts
3050 upvotes
Toronto
tvwatcher wrote: But I agree with PointsHubby "But I do wonder at the cons of having your intestines entirely vacated all at once Natural flora disrupted" because my system (which was working fine like clockwork before the procedure) hasn't been the same since
Try Bio-K+. Available at health food & grocery stores.
https://biokplus.ca/
In the spirit of RFD, give them your email & get a $2 off coupon.

Also helpful if you just finished a course of ABs (anti-biotics), or other issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8752 posts
4360 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
frogger wrote: This is the part they don't really talk to you about (at least my doctor didn't). They really should advise or even prescribe something to help your intenstines get back healthy bacteria. I had a hard time with this as well.
I suffered this, but not due to colonscopies (have had 2, 3rd one in a week+) but aggressive antibiotics (pills + IV for a ~week). Found that Liberté Mediterranée yoghurt (10-11% fat) did the trick. I think enough bacteria (small, microscopic) will stick around the gut to repopulate while they won't survive aggressive antibiotics. No problems going back to normal after the colonscopies.

As for people avoiding colonscopies, at your own risk. I have 2 second degree relatives die relatively young from colorectal cancer, that I know of. The older one had 3 sons who were MDs but that was before there was any real treatment/prevention. One of these sons also died from it when early diagnosis and preventative treatments were available. Not sure if he just missed being diagnosed. I've taken to reducing/avoiding nitrates/nitrites in my diet.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Sr. Member
Dec 8, 2013
516 posts
741 upvotes
There’s an ingestible pill camera that you can swallow and it will take panoramic photos of your guts. Can replace a colonoscopy. Not sure how widely available it is in Canada though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8752 posts
4360 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
CanadaCool wrote: There’s an ingestible pill camera that you can swallow and it will take panoramic photos of your guts. Can replace a colonoscopy. Not sure how widely available it is in Canada though.
Still have to go in and get 'em polyps out though.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Top