• Mar 2nd, 2018 4:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1521 posts
34 upvotes
usa

Colour code outlook messages

Other than assigning category to outlook messages, is there any way to colour code the message in the inbox? I've added the category column so I can assign different categories, but it still hard to manage 100s of email that I get a day. Is there anyway to colour code in box?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
It's too bad you can't just type "color code outlook emails" into a Google search box. Oh, wait... :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1521 posts
34 upvotes
usa
I googled before posting. The only thing I found was conditional formatting. I cannot use conditional formatting since I need to read the email to know what category it belongs to. It may belong to 1 group of my staff who is responsible or it can be a particular person. I want to manually colour code the messages as I'm checking my emails.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
Since Outlook doesn't have a quick way to color code the text font of messages, I think you would have to write a VB script to give you a dropdown list to quick-pick from.

But there may be a better alternative: Outlook does have color-coded categories which can be represented by a colored box in the email headers list if you have the Category column displayed. It may actually be more visible than coloring the text font of the email header. And you can click on the box to quickly pick the color/category.
Feb 7, 2018
155 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto ON
Exp315 wrote: Outlook does have color-coded categories
Exactly. And this is nothing new, it does exist since Outlook for Windows XP, maybe even before that. For any more advanced sorting, create "rules".

So I often receive tons of emails (not on my current job, but some jobs before). No way to take care of all, so I create sorting rules. First I create fubfolders of Inbox for what the category names are, for example "Reports for AAA", "Reports for BBB", "Boss", "Wife" etc. Then I set rules, where each email should be moved to. Because color-coding is sometimes not enough.

Easiest way to create a rule is to have an email which you want to get sorted out, right click it, then click "Rules" and additional panel will appear, then follow one of the steps there. You get lots of sorting options, so take the time to read what's on the screen and decide how you want it to work.