Shopping Discussion

Come get your mail, overflowing U.S. post office tells Canadian customers | CBC News

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2021 4:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21763 posts
15972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Come get your mail, overflowing U.S. post office tells Canadian customers | CBC News

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) office in Ogdensburg, N.Y., says it's no longer able to hold on to an overflowing amount Canadian mail — and customers north of the border are now scrambling to make alternate arrangements.

The office recently sent an email to its Canadian customers telling them that their PO box locations "have limited capacity to hold mail, including packages, for extended periods of time."

Canadians now have until March 15 to have someone get their mail, or it will be classified as "unclaimed" and returned to the sender...
This talks about USPS post office in Ogdensburg, NY but I imagine the same situation exists at other post offices and third party pick up locations along the US border.
veni, vidi, Visa
51 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19464 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't the border still closed?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1434 posts
473 upvotes
GTA
Wonder if this "article" would allow me to cross the border. Is it essential?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9218 posts
4505 upvotes
Markham
ericlewis91 wrote: Wonder if this "article" would allow me to cross the border. Is it essential?
You can cross the border and come back to live in the hotel. Kind like vacation
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21763 posts
15972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Piro21 wrote: Isn't the border still closed?
That's why the problem exists. People ordered stuff a year ago for delivery to a US post office box or pickup service and haven't been able to get it ever since.

Now, if the USPS returns the item to the seller, there's no guarantee they'll give the Canadian buyer a refund. It's also unlikely that an CC will do a chargeback since (a) the item got delivered to its ship-to address and (b) the request will be long past the 90 to 180 day claim period.
smartie wrote: You can cross the border and come back to live in the hotel. Kind like vacation
How do you cross the border from CA to US in the first place? And if you can do it now, e.g. as an essential worker, then why couldn't you have done it last year?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15472 posts
12667 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ah yes ... but one more reason not to invest in a USPS Mailbox
But instead use a private service

At least the private services ... including those in Ogdensburg & Watertown WILL MAKE THE EFFORT to find solutions for their Cdn Customers

Like Laurel Lee Roethel of Roethel Parcel Service ... featured in that recent CBC Story ... but also in this past one and in the CBC All In A Day interview (link included)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/o ... -1.5679902

Ogdensburg, like many US small border towns are hurting with the Border Closed, and a lack of Cdn Customers ... as most towns are real outposts (ya know not too many Americans rushing to live among the coldest places in their lower 48)

But these “our TRUE NORTH neighbours” are great folks. And most have rich friendships ... if not family ties across the border ... so they are very willing to help when the going gets tough.

I really miss my visits to Upstate NY... and the many friends I have made there over the years

But I also get THE WHY as to how come it’s not do-able right now... and so many are seriously working hard to make the best of these challenging times. Like Laurel, and her family run biz.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8772 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Only if you fly. The US land border is still closed to non-essential travelers.
And now you're screwed if you do that because it's gonna cost you a few thousand for DNA test, hotel quarantine etc. :rolleyes:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21763 posts
15972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: And now you're screwed if you do that because it's gonna cost you a few thousand for DNA test, hotel quarantine etc. :rolleyes:
Why do you think you're entitled to cross in the first place?

There's a worldwide pandemic going on. New variants of the virus are arriving in Canada from other countries. Our government has the responsibility to take reasonable measures to protect the rest of us from being infected by viruses brought into the country by people who think they're entitled to travel for non-essential reasons, e.g. snowbirds, to pick up bargains in the US, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8772 upvotes
bylo wrote: Why do you think you're entitled to cross in the first place?

There's a worldwide pandemic going on. New variants of the virus are arriving in Canada from other countries. Our government has the responsibility to take reasonable measures to protect the rest of us from being infected by viruses brought into the country by people who think they're entitled to travel for non-essential reasons, e.g. snowbirds, to pick up bargains in the US, etc.
:rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1483 posts
2073 upvotes
West
bylo wrote: Why do you think you're entitled to cross in the first place?

Relax. You're the one who posted the thread... it was inevitable that posters were going to talk about potential solutions to this issue.

Seems like you just wanted everyone to have a point and laugh fest at those impacted, I guess.

Oh, and while it may be ill-advised, provided people comply with the current regulations, people are indeed "entitled" to cross via air, if they so desire.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11454 posts
3718 upvotes
Toronto
Charge them a storage fee?

What do you want them to do? The boarder is closed.

If they refused to pay store fee, then open the parcel and sell it item or sell to auction
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21763 posts
15972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Phonophoresis wrote: Oh, and while it may be ill-advised, provided people comply with the current regulations, people are indeed "entitled" to cross via air, if they so desire.
As long as they comply with entry requirements, including the PCR tests and $2,000 stay at Hotel Quarantine.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21763 posts
15972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MP3_SKY wrote: Charge them a storage fee?

What do you want them to do? The boarder is closed.

If they refused to pay store fee, then open the parcel and sell it item or sell to auction
I'm not taking a position, one way or the other. I simply posted this as a sort of PSA to RFDers who have stuff sitting at the border(*) and are concerned about its fate, at least in the hands of USPS.

Incidentally this situation isn't unique to the US. Here's a story about similar situation in Canada: An American woman's pandemic parking bill in Toronto: almost $3K Social Sharing

(*) a boarder is someone who gets meals supplied by their landloardlord ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 7, 2019
36 posts
49 upvotes
This is really a sticky issue. There are many USPS post offices in border communities who seem to do 90% of their business with Canadian customers. The post office in Blaine, WA is massively "oversized" for what the local population would normally support, simply because half the Lower Mainland seems to have PO boxes there.

I used to maintain a PO box in Sweetgrass, MT and drive down once a month (it is a several hours journey one way from my home) and even then the management was unhappy because there was always a sizable pile of accumulated mail. So glad I got rid of it a few years ago.

If I were in this situation I would print out copies of any e-mails I received from the USPS insisting I retrieve my mail, then try my luck with U.S. border personnel. There have been reports that some U.S. CBP staff have taken a more expansive view of "essential" travel than their Canadian counterparts, such as allowing Canadians to cross for grocery shopping at some ports. If a traveler can prove they have been instructed to deal with this issue by another U.S. government agency (the USPS) a border guard might let them through.

No way around the Canadian quarantine upon return, however. At least it isn't the mandatory $2000 hotel stay required at airports. Plus a traveler would still need a negative PCR test taken in the U.S. in order to re-enter Canada, so it would have to be a couple of days' stay and they would likely have to drive farther south than the immediate border community where they have their PO box. (Someone who has a PO box in Blaine could probably get the PCR test done in Bellingham, for example.)

It just depends on how badly the customer needs/wants their mail and parcels: it's an expensive loss either way.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15472 posts
12667 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TravellingChris wrote: This is really a sticky issue. There are many USPS post offices in border communities who seem to do 90% of their business with Canadian customers. The post office in Blaine, WA is massively "oversized" for what the local population would normally support, simply because half the Lower Mainland seems to have PO boxes there.

I used to maintain a PO box in Sweetgrass, MT and drive down once a month (it is a several hours journey one way from my home) and even then the management was unhappy because there was always a sizable pile of accumulated mail. So glad I got rid of it a few years ago.

If I were in this situation I would print out copies of any e-mails I received from the USPS insisting I retrieve my mail, then try my luck with U.S. border personnel. There have been reports that some U.S. CBP staff have taken a more expansive view of "essential" travel than their Canadian counterparts, such as allowing Canadians to cross for grocery shopping at some ports. If a traveler can prove they have been instructed to deal with this issue by another U.S. government agency (the USPS) a border guard might let them through.

No way around the Canadian quarantine upon return, however. At least it isn't the mandatory $2000 hotel stay required at airports.

Plus a traveler would still need a negative PCR test taken in the U.S. in order to re-enter Canada, so it would have to be a couple of days' stay and they would likely have to drive farther south than the immediate border community where they have their PO box. (Someone who has a PO box in Blaine could probably get the PCR test done in Bellingham, for example.)

It just depends on how badly the customer needs/wants their mail and parcels: it's an expensive loss either way.
Re - Land Crossings and PCR Testing Requirements

Seems those Airport Styled MANDATORY HOTEL QUARANTINES extend to Land Border Crossings ... IF one cannot provide a NEGATIVE PCR TEST taken within the last 72 Hours

Here’s a recent story that CTV Ottawa Reported on for a woman living in Eastern Ontario
And the options she was given by CBSA when her Covid Test Results were slower coming back than she wished for
(Tested on Monday morning ... tried to cross on Wednesday without a NEGATIVE TEST RESULT IN HAND )

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/grieving-otta ... -1.5314825

Things were cutting it close to the 72 Hour Mark ... but in the end, the results did come thru just under the wire on Thursday Morning for her

If they hadn’t showed up ... she would have had to been retested, and the clock would have started on the 72 Hours once more
Or ... she could have driven thru the USA to Buffalo / Niagara to utilize Toronto Quarantine facility as suggested
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9218 posts
4505 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: Only if you fly. The US land border is still closed to non-essential travelers.
Yes you are right

I just tried to answer the question above me(eg whether this requirement can make you travel to US to pick up mail as essential), although I doubt it will, but regardless, I just meant to say even it's essential, you will stay in hotel when you come back. So you could save 100 dollars but at cost thousand

Didn't expect this thread become so serious lol
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2146 posts
1384 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I have an account with Kinek, fortunately nothing sitting there, and I just received this email today:

Dear valued members,
What a unique year it has been. As our borders continue to remain closed PUDO has found a cost-effective way to open them up again for our PUDO & KINEK members.
We are pleased to announce that effective March 01, 2021, our new KINEK-US cross-border service will be exclusively available to you.
For *$18.50 you can have your US purchases of up to 20 lbs delivered to one of our Canadian PUDOpoint Counters locations near to where you live or work. This Member Exclusive rate includes customs clearance! (*Does not include any applicable Duties and Taxes)
Through our Member PAGO program (Pay as you Go) you can continue to:
make purchases from US retailers
use our US address as your 'ship to' address
Once your shipment arrives, we will clear it through customs and deliver your shipment to any one of our available Canadian PUDOpoint Counter locations that you’ve chosen that is near to where you live or work.
All for CAD $18.50! (plus any applicable taxes and duties)
Complete instructions on how the service works will be sent to you by March 1st, but we wanted to let you know of this exciting development now.
This new service is effective for parcels ordered after March 1, 2021. Therefore, please note, this new service will not apply to any current parcels at a KinekPoint location.
The price of $18.50 is subject to change.

So it would appear that someone in Canada has stepped up to the plate to pick up parcels on the U.S.A. side. That said this company (PUDO) appears to be in Mississauga so it may only be applying to the Kinek locations in the Buffalo/Niagara area.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1750 posts
922 upvotes
SW ON
Why do so many Canadians have PO Boxes at USPS post offices? I am trying to understand what I am missing. Is it for packages? For letter mail? So far I have been able to mail whatever I needed from the US to Canada. But more and more often I can find the same things within Canada.