• Feb 21st, 2018 5:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west

Command start with push button ignition

We bought a barely used RVR at Christmas, and with it came an after market command start. This is the first vehicle we have owned that has ever had the push start button.

Anyway, whenever you use the command start and open the door, the car stops. We have taken it in to a place that installs this brand, and they say it cant be ever changed, since its for anti-theft.

But why is that, you need the FOB with you to drive away dont you? Wouldnt it be the same as older cars when you have to put the key in to driver away, and if you didnt as soon as you hit the gas or brake, the engine died.

Am I getting fed a line here? Find that to be just extra wear and tear on a vehicle having to restart it everytime you get in it
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5509 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto
Most cars, once started using push button, can be driven without the fob while car complains lack of fob in the proximity. If you had the fob in your pocket and with the car running and went into a store for few minutes, thief could take your car, just like if you had your car running with the key in the ignition.

And because your auto starter is third party and not oem equipment, it probably couldn't read the fob if it was inside the car anyway, to not turn off the car.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
peteryorkuca wrote: Most cars, once started using push button, can be driven without the fob while car complains lack of fob in the proximity. If you had the fob in your pocket and with the car running and went into a store for few minutes, thief could take your car, just like if you had your car running with the key in the ignition.

And because your auto starter is third party and not oem equipment, it probably couldn't read the fob if it was inside the car anyway, to not turn off the car.
So with push start its different than with a key. Because with command start with a key, sure you can get in the vehicle, but unless you put the key in the igniitons and turn it to run, as soon as you hit the brake or gas, the engine dies.

I never realized they can be driven with no key at all. I guess what you said makes sense, since its proximity based, that range is however many feet.

One of the reasons Im not a fan of this push button starts. I see the concept, but really its so hard to put a key in the ignition
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
it's all about security.. the car doesn't look for the fob after it's running, so to prevent theft, the car turns off when the door is open. I would say half of the prox keys are like this. (Toyota/Honda) usually don't have take over.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12350 posts
8784 upvotes
Edmonton
I love the push button start on my Highlander. And my remote start works the same ways as yours does (Autostart cell-based system). As did my old Camry with a factory Toyota remote start (also push button start).

I think the cars need to be able to be driven without the fob because you can still drive them when the battery dies on the fob. Your instruction manual should cover the technique, I think. Which makes sense, because you'd hate for your car to be incapacitated if the battery in your fob dies overnight and you can't drive anywhere to get a new one. Or if your fob gets wet and the battery/electronics get toasted.

At least, that's the story I heard from Toyota when I complained about. :) I don't think it's a proximity thing... The car is smart enough to detect whether a key is inside the car or outside the car (I can't lock the car with my finger when my GF leaves her keys in her purse in the car), so it can obviously differentiate between the locations. And if I leave the car running, but exit the car, it can detect that and make rude noises to let me know I've done that.

C
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
drtmrcht wrote: it's all about security.. the car doesn't look for the fob after it's running, so to prevent theft, the car turns off when the door is open. I would say half of the prox keys are like this. (Toyota/Honda) usually don't have take over.
Yes searching online looks like many are like this. And I see why it is, but shame there wasnt a button you can press on the FOB or something, or a combo to make this not turn off.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
CNeufeld wrote: I love the push button start on my Highlander. And my remote start works the same ways as yours does (Autostart cell-based system). As did my old Camry with a factory Toyota remote start (also push button start).

I think the cars need to be able to be driven without the fob because you can still drive them when the battery dies on the fob. Your instruction manual should cover the technique, I think. Which makes sense, because you'd hate for your car to be incapacitated if the battery in your fob dies overnight and you can't drive anywhere to get a new one. Or if your fob gets wet and the battery/electronics get toasted.

At least, that's the story I heard from Toyota when I complained about. :) I don't think it's a proximity thing... The car is smart enough to detect whether a key is inside the car or outside the car (I can't lock the car with my finger when my GF leaves her keys in her purse in the car), so it can obviously differentiate between the locations. And if I leave the car running, but exit the car, it can detect that and make rude noises to let me know I've done that.

C
Makes sense, but with all this technology, this is something that cant be done. I guess it would depend on the command start as well. Like I said it came with the vehicle, I just found it odd this is the way it works. Its an Astro Start
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Feb 21st, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5509 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Yes searching online looks like many are like this. And I see why it is, but shame there wasnt a button you can press on the FOB or something, or a combo to make this not turn off.
On Nissan Altima with factory auto starter, you use your fob to turn the car on. When you and fob is near the car, you open the door while the car is still running, but need to press the start button to drive away.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
peteryorkuca wrote: On Nissan Altima with factory auto starter, you use your fob to turn the car on. When you and fob is near the car, you open the door while the car is still running, but need to press the start button to drive away.
Maybe there is a key function, but you would think the place that installs this brand would know that
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5753 posts
3363 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: I love the push button start on my Highlander. And my remote start works the same ways as yours does (Autostart cell-based system). As did my old Camry with a factory Toyota remote start (also push button start).

C
My key has an rfid chip as a fail safe and there’s a place in the centre armrest to place it so the car can read it.
WikkiWikki wrote:
Makes sense, but with all this technology, this is something that cant be done. I guess it would depend on the command start as well. Like I said it came with the vehicle, I just found it odd this is the way it works.
Only way to do what you want it to place a key in the car which would mean anyone could just drive off with your car.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
BeaverLiquor wrote: My key has an rfid chip as a fail safe and there’s a place in the centre armrest to place it so the car can read it.

Only way to do what you want it to place a key in the car which would mean anyone could just drive off with your car.
Very true. I contacted Astro Start to see if there is a way to bypass this. Not bypass so someone can drive off, but bypass as in "hit unlock and lock" at the same time on the FOB, or something like that.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12350 posts
8784 upvotes
Edmonton
It's probably not controlled by Autostart, but built into the vehicle. See my note about the factory installed system on my Camry... But each manufacturer may be different.

C
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
CNeufeld wrote: It's probably not controlled by Autostart, but built into the vehicle. See my note about the factory installed system on my Camry... But each manufacturer may be different.

C
I just got off the phone with Mitsubishi Canada, and its the way it is with anything with push start. RVR, or Outlander.

I get the concept, and yes Im sure there is some way to make it not do this with wiring of some sort, or a module maybe, or some "hack" But for now, I guess it is what it is. Unless Astrostart emails me back saying some sort of Fob comand is available to bypass it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
On my Ford Explorer with factory autostart, the intellignet keyfob has to be inside the vehicle and the push button pressed before being allowed to shift out of part and drive off.
Also, being a Ford vehicle that is also used for law enforcement, I have enabled a safety feature that won't allow you to shift out of park (while the vehicle is running); without the keyfob inside the vehicle...love this feature!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
vkizzle wrote: On my Ford Explorer with factory autostart, the intellignet keyfob has to be inside the vehicle and the push button pressed before being allowed to shift out of part and drive off.
Also, being a Ford vehicle that is also used for law enforcement, I have enabled a safety feature that won't allow you to shift out of park (while the vehicle is running); without the keyfob inside the vehicle...love this feature!
Thats smart, and the way this should be for vehicles, or something to that extent.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3323 posts
2096 upvotes
Montreal
It's just a cheap way out, better implementations will look for fob when shifting out of park, and shut down engine if not found. Will probably take a few years to trickle down to mass brands.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16450 posts
14595 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Remote start on the wife's Volt requires you to hit the start button to "turn on" the car before it can be driven. If the car is running already and you take the fob out of the car it nags you and tells you that once the. Ar is shut off it can't be restarted without the fob. My BMW acts the same way once its running, it will be keep running till its shut off and won't restart without the fob.
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
it's all about liability. the aftermarket companies don't want to get sued because somebody remote started their car while in Walmart / somehow pressed unlock on their 2way remote 3000ft away, and a theif just happened to be beside that car and drove away. (These cars only look for the key once, Toyota / Honda / Mitsi)

Nissans are the exception and you have 45 seconds from hitting unlock to complete takeover. (get inside / press the start, while the car looks for the key).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20191 posts
2723 upvotes
Out west
drtmrcht wrote: it's all about liability. the aftermarket companies don't want to get sued because somebody remote started their car while in Walmart / somehow pressed unlock on their 2way remote 3000ft away, and a theif just happened to be beside that car and drove away. (These cars only look for the key once, Toyota / Honda / Mitsi)

Nissans are the exception and you have 45 seconds from hitting unlock to complete takeover. (get inside / press the start, while the car looks for the key).
Very true, although there seems to be smart work arounds, just come havent done that.

Or stay with old technology that works, a key. Buying used, we took the push start because of the deal we got, this wasnt something I thought of as being an issue. But in the big scheme not a huge one, just a pain