Locked: comment / review about "The Personal Insurance Company"

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2017 10:10 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2006
223 posts
14 upvotes

comment / review about "The Personal Insurance Company"

I'm in the process of consolidating my auto and home insurances.

Price wise, because of my membership to a professional group, "The Personal Insurance Company" has been the lowest.
I don't know anyone who uses them. Are they good ? How is their service ?
Does anyone have personal experience with this insurance company ?

I'm looking for comments.

thanks
92 replies
Dec 1, 2010
238 posts
22 upvotes
I didn't end up going with them because their quote wasn't competitive, but they kept sending me junk mail and spam email for years afterwards. If you can, use a fake address to get a quote :)
May 21, 2008
49 posts
10 upvotes
I used them for about 8 years or so, until I was in an accident and found how terrible they were to deal with.

When I changed to a new company they found the someone at The Personal had actually made a mistake entering info into the computer after my accident. I was completely not at fault for the crash but they put in that I was. I had to get a letter of experience sent from The Personal to my new insurance co.

I've been with Millennium Insurance for 3 or 4 years now and they are absolutely great to deal with. Even when I had an accident claim they were great - they don't leave me on hold too long on the phone and they're generally very competent. They also paid out a fair ammount on my car quickly.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2006
223 posts
14 upvotes
musicdisciple wrote: I used them for about 8 years or so, until I was in an accident and found how terrible they were to deal with.

When I changed to a new company they found the someone at The Personal had actually made a mistake entering info into the computer after my accident. I was completely not at fault for the crash but they put in that I was. I had to get a letter of experience sent from The Personal to my new insurance co.

I've been with Millennium Insurance for 3 or 4 years now and they are absolutely great to deal with. Even when I had an accident claim they were great - they don't leave me on hold too long on the phone and they're generally very competent. They also paid out a fair ammount on my car quickly.

I had a very similar situation yesterday when I was getting the final quote from TP. There is a central database system that insurance companies query to access your claim history. ( I forget the name but it's auto something). That database indicates that I was 100% at fault for a claim (which I informed them of the claim, but that I wasn't at fault) I had made. In fact I was 100% not at fault. The agent from TP responded well: she immediately made a conference call with my current insurance company (BelAir Direct). That agent confirmed that indeed I was 100% not at fault. She made him agree that they would make a request to update this "central" database.

Thus far TP is about 30% cheaper than my current quotes.

I found this website of interest: I guess insurance rates are governed and need approval to raise rates.

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/english/insur ... 4-2010.asp

thanks for feedback.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
i'm with the personal through my work, rates are the lowest i get quoted on. Don't have any experience with accident claims since i've never had one, but someone at my work was hit by an unlicensed and uninsured driver and said that the personal was terrible to deal with through the claims process.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
28 upvotes
I am also looking for Auto+Home insurance too.. and also found "The Personal" has the cheapest quote (esp for Auto) compare to others (all under my company group rate) and BelAir Direct seems to give me the most expensive quote...

So far from the reports are cause by human error. Tough call, if you are lucky and never have accidence or need to deal with claims, in my case it save ~$600+/yr compare to my current insurance company (TD)....

And even home insurance, TP is more than half the price at TD.... Very tempting.

Edit: More google, and come across this post.. Humm.. now I wonder if the stress worth the savings.... Any other RFDers have "Happy" story to share?
/* My Heatware */ #define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)) ...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word Hacking RAID in XP Support Net Neutrality Canada
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
Interesting feedback so far.

The Personal has been the best insurance company to deal with. StateFarm, AllState, BelAirDirect all don't come close to the level of service and competitive quote The Personal has offered me.

I've made a number of claims with them over the years and I've never had an issue with them. One time I suffered $1700 worth of damages from a hit and run while my car was parked on the street. I chose to go with my own body shop and they sent someone to come verify the damage and approve the work order. That rep fought for me to get additional parts replaced/painted properly!

Another time I was rear ended by a road rager. Their policy is to pay the deductible up front, despite the fact it was a not at fault accident until they verify the other driver. (Because unidentified drivers / hit and run I have to pay deductible). They refunded me the money within 1 week.

They have been very accommodating with modifications as well. I added to my policy $4000 worth of rims and they increased my premiums by $10 a month to cover them. Body kits and other cosmetic modifications they were ok with. At one point I also had 3 tickets on my file (this is when I was hiring ticket fighters instead of fighting them myself) but The Personal was happy to insure me.

Now I'm paying about 50% of what I used to pay now that my record is completely clean. I have no problems recommending them.
Dec 2, 2007
292 posts
11 upvotes
while on the subject, does it anyone else find it absolutely ridiculous that accidents now stay on your record for 10 years???? This was effective as of Sept. 2010.

I had an accident in 2005 which I was deemed at fault (technically the city's fault for not cleaning up a sand covered road after a wood factory fire nearby) and I was very happy that it was supposed to fall off of my record this year. I get my renewal and come to find out that accidents now stay on for 10 years. Needless to say I was incredibly upset. I still am.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3654 posts
3278 upvotes
GTA
My wife and I have had two claims with The Personal, one 'at fault' and one 'not at fault' and both were dealt with appropriately. I have had my insurance with them since 1998, and my parents for many years before that.

I'd have no problems recommending them to others.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
28 upvotes
actng wrote: The Personal has been the best insurance company to deal with. StateFarm, AllState, BelAirDirect all don't come close to the level of service and competitive quote The Personal has offered me.
I have no problems recommending them.
N8Magic wrote: My wife and I have had two claims with The Personal, one 'at fault' and one 'not at fault' and both were dealt with appropriately. I have had my insurance with them since 1998, and my parents for many years before that.

I'd have no problems recommending them to others.

Guys, thanks for the 'happy' stories... I may give it a try since it does save me lots of money.... Just hope we will never need to claim anything... ;)
/* My Heatware */ #define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)) ...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word Hacking RAID in XP Support Net Neutrality Canada
Jan 16, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
PETAWAWA
This company is terrible. I was in an accident where I was 100% NOT at fault, my sister was in the car with me. We are both injured and have been off work going on three months yet. We have not received a penny in income replacement benefits, althought we keep getting letters saying if we don't send this paper back or go to this appointment, they will cut off our income replacement benefits... hard to cut something off that they aren't paying. Right after the accident we were told if we have a note from family Dr. saying not to work, send it in and we will be paid. We did that and nothing. My sister went to a doctor's appointment they set up, their Doctor said she can work, so they aren't paying my sister. I have the same appointment tomorrow.

Also, my car was under 4 months old, the frame was bent, and they didn't write it off, they spent over $11,000 fixing it, and it isn't even fixed proper and now I'm paying over $30,000 for a car that I will be lucky to get $10,000 for.

Our policy is up in April and we are switching to another company. I would rather spend a little extra money a year and know that my insurance company is going to take care of me, then save a few dollars and be screwed around.

If this is how they treat people who AREN'T at fault, I can't imagine what you would have to go through if you were at fault!
Jan 16, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
PETAWAWA
Worst insurance company ever!
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
Susiequsie wrote: This company is terrible. I was in an accident where I was 100% NOT at fault, my sister was in the car with me. We are both injured and have been off work going on three months yet. We have not received a penny in income replacement benefits, althought we keep getting letters saying if we don't send this paper back or go to this appointment, they will cut off our income replacement benefits... hard to cut something off that they aren't paying. Right after the accident we were told if we have a note from family Dr. saying not to work, send it in and we will be paid. We did that and nothing. My sister went to a doctor's appointment they set up, their Doctor said she can work, so they aren't paying my sister. I have the same appointment tomorrow.

Also, my car was under 4 months old, the frame was bent, and they didn't write it off, they spent over $11,000 fixing it, and it isn't even fixed proper and now I'm paying over $30,000 for a car that I will be lucky to get $10,000 for.

Our policy is up in April and we are switching to another company. I would rather spend a little extra money a year and know that my insurance company is going to take care of me, then save a few dollars and be screwed around.

If this is how they treat people who AREN'T at fault, I can't imagine what you would have to go through if you were at fault!

i'm sorry to hear that. it does appear to me though that you're not familiar with insurance law/policy. whether you are at fault or not has no bearing on how your insurance company provides benefits to you.

the personal is able to provide competitive rates because they are one of the better companies at identifying insurance scammers. your story happens to fall into the profile of an insurance scammer looking for replacement income, claiming "not at fault" accident without including any details, bent frame. anyways, not that it matters to us, if you want to complain and make baseless accusations, it's your right. but we won't necessarily listen.

if your car was worth $30,000 and it only cost $10,000 to repair, why would they write it off? if they write it off, they would have to spend $30,000 to buy you a car. i'm glad they chose to spend only $10,000 instead of $30,000.

as for doctors, how long have you been going to your family doctor? what some scammers do is after an accident, they will "change" family doctors where this new family doctor will prescribe all sorts of therapy and time off, etc. if their doctor says you're fit to work and your doctor says you're not, there has to be an arbitration process that you can follow to get a third opinion.

worse comes to worse, you can always hire one of those paralegals that help you sue the insurance company for money (which ultimately raises the premiums for everyone). somehow I have a feeling you've already hired one of those.

good luck on your "recovery". i hope you're able to align your expectations better so you're not so easily disappointed. the insurance company isn't there to pay for whatever you want to get paid. they will only pay what is fair and necessary.
Jan 16, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
PETAWAWA
Wow, you must work for the personal..

I have been seeing the same family doctor since 1999, thank you very much! My sister actually got bitched at by the insurance because the doctor is an hour from her house, and they didn't want to pay her travel.

I wasn't the one making a baseless accusation; I was telling my experiences with the personal. You are the one who assumed that I am "scamming". Do you think my family doctor, physiotherapist, eye doctor and the doctor I saw at the hospital are all in on my "scam"?

I understand that people do scam insurance companies, but that doesn't mean that you, or insurance should automatically assume everyone is scamming. I wasn't the one who drove another car into my car going 110km/hr on a packed highway. And you can't tell me that the doctors that an insurance company sends you to aren't biased!

The only reason I stated that I was not at fault was because if I were an idiot drinking or driving, then by all means my insurance company should treat me the way they are treating me. And I said about my bent frame because I am concerned about how safe my car now is.

My complaint is that I was told by my insurance if there is anything my personal benefits won't cover, such as over the counter medication my doctor recommends, they will cover it. I put in my expense form and it was denied. I was told that as long as I have a note from my family doctor stating I am unable to work, I will receive an income replacement benefit. Never happened. Yet I keep getting letters saying if I don't attend this appointment tomorrow, or if I don't mail in this form, my IRB will be cut off... If they are threatening to cut it off, that shows I should have been getting it all along.

If the only way to get the benefits that you are eligible for from an insurance company is to sue them, then by all means go ahead! This is what we pay insurance for! Maybe if they paid these benefits like they are supposed to, they wouldn't get sued.

Now go to your job at the personal tomorrow and tell all your co-workers about this post!
actng wrote: i'm sorry to hear that. it does appear to me though that you're not familiar with insurance law/policy. whether you are at fault or not has no bearing on how your insurance company provides benefits to you.

the personal is able to provide competitive rates because they are one of the better companies at identifying insurance scammers. your story happens to fall into the profile of an insurance scammer looking for replacement income, claiming "not at fault" accident without including any details, bent frame. anyways, not that it matters to us, if you want to complain and make baseless accusations, it's your right. but we won't necessarily listen.

if your car was worth $30,000 and it only cost $10,000 to repair, why would they write it off? if they write it off, they would have to spend $30,000 to buy you a car. i'm glad they chose to spend only $10,000 instead of $30,000.

as for doctors, how long have you been going to your family doctor? what some scammers do is after an accident, they will "change" family doctors where this new family doctor will prescribe all sorts of therapy and time off, etc. if their doctor says you're fit to work and your doctor says you're not, there has to be an arbitration process that you can follow to get a third opinion.

worse comes to worse, you can always hire one of those paralegals that help you sue the insurance company for money (which ultimately raises the premiums for everyone). somehow I have a feeling you've already hired one of those.

good luck on your "recovery". i hope you're able to align your expectations better so you're not so easily disappointed. the insurance company isn't there to pay for whatever you want to get paid. they will only pay what is fair and necessary.
Jun 8, 2008
116 posts
15 upvotes
Thornhill
Wow, that was rather rude. I am assuming you work for the Personal, right?

I am her sister and was a passenger in the vehicle that was in the accident. She is 100% not at fault as determined by 1. the police officer on scene, 2. the Personal, and 3. One of the other insured's insurance company who was involved in the MVA.

When she is finished getting her car fixed (ie. all the things that weren't fixed properly and/or fixed at all by the Personal's preferred repair shop), the cost of repairs will be well over half the price of the car. Can you not blame her for being upset that her nearly brand new car is now worth less than the original value, yet she still has to pay the full value of the car? I am sure you would feel the same was as her.

Not EVERYONE scams insurance companies. Yes, a lot of people do try to scam the insurance companies. That is why they put them through all the tests, etc. an even get surveillance done. In my experience, 90% of the people who do scam are usually immigrants. (No, I am not being rude or racist, but from the claims I have seen, that is my observation).

We have been seeing the same family doctor for well over 10 years now. We both travel to go and see her. Sure, we could just switch family doctor's, but why would we when we have a family doctor who knows us and knows her practice very well?

As for the doctor's hired by the insurance company, we all know they are biased and are just looking out for the best interest of the insurance company. They don't care what injury you have. Clearly, from my report from the insurance company's doctor, I see that their report is 1. just cut and paste, as I was called a "he" several times and also called someone else's name, and 2. the report contains false information (ie. he said that I said I use hot packs at home, which I did not say, as I don't even own hot packs). Also, the fact that I was with this doctor for 10 minutes and he is able to "write" a 16 page report, what does that tell you? I understand they are trying to find scammers, I get it. But when I have seen my family doctor multiple times since the accident, and she tells me to not work, not do this and not do that and sends me for tests, of course I am going to follow her advice, as she is someone who takes the time to examine me, ask me questions, etc., unlike the doctor from the insurer's examination who literally spent 10 minutes with me.

When someone is validly unable to return to work following an MVA, yes, they are entitled to IRBs.

But let me guess... you probably think that the fact that my entire arm, including 2 of my fingers, being completely numb since the week after the accident isn't a big deal, right? I guess that's why we have two arms and hands, right? Thank god for that! That is just one example of a valid injury that I am experiencing, and yes, I have gone to the hospital for tests.

From working in insurance law, I do know that people who have valid claims are entitled to certain benefits. Sure, I know all the tricks and trades of how I could totally scam an insurance company, but why would I? Not only is it unfair to those who have to pay higher insurance rates because of those scammers, it is also a waste of time for lawyers, adjuster's, etc. who have to deal with it.

As for our claim, they are probably just pissed off that they have to pay me benefits, as I don't have my own insurance.

Oh, and when we retained a lawyer, he didn't have very good things to say about the Personal. Yes, you read that right, a lawyer, not a paralegal. You think we would just not work and lose so far over $10,000.00 just so we can scam for our maximum of $400 per week? We aren't asking for a settlement, just the benefits we are entitled to while unable to work.

Nevertheless, my family doctor's diagnosis and advice is what I will follow. Funny thing, is that once the adjuster received the notes from my family doctor, she actually started being nice to me... she must have realized that this is serious.

Perhaps I should wish for you to experience an MVA one day so you can get injured and see what it's like and have someone tell you that you're scamming. But nah, I was raised better than that.

actng wrote: i'm sorry to hear that. it does appear to me though that you're not familiar with insurance law/policy. whether you are at fault or not has no bearing on how your insurance company provides benefits to you.

Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3405 posts
275 upvotes
Calgary
rivermist wrote: I had a very similar situation yesterday when I was getting the final quote from TP. There is a central database system that insurance companies query to access your claim history. ( I forget the name but it's auto something). That database indicates that I was 100% at fault for a claim (which I informed them of the claim, but that I wasn't at fault) I had made. In fact I was 100% not at fault. The agent from TP responded well: she immediately made a conference call with my current insurance company (BelAir Direct). That agent confirmed that indeed I was 100% not at fault. She made him agree that they would make a request to update this "central" database.

Thus far TP is about 30% cheaper than my current quotes.

I found this website of interest: I guess insurance rates are governed and need approval to raise rates.

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/english/insur ... 4-2010.asp

thanks for feedback.

Does anyone know how to access this central database?
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
tl;dr

1. i didn't accuse you of scamming. i explained what scammers do and what insurance companies do to protect themselves
2. whether you are at fault or not, doesn't change how your insurance company "treats" you. learn about insurance so you are knowledgeable in your "fight"
3. fault is not determined by police. it is determined by insurance companies. mentioning that the police found you not at fault shows your lack of knowledge in the area, which means you lack credibility.

btw, let me get something straight... you are in the process of filing a claim with insurance company. you think I work for that insurance company. and you're coming on here bitching about me and said insurance company... are you really sure that's the best way to go? or are you really that thick?

good luck with your claims, you're going to need it.

Susiequsie wrote: Wow, you must work for the personal..

I have been seeing the same family doctor since 1999, thank you very much! My sister actually got bitched at by the insurance because the doctor is an hour from her house, and they didn't want to pay her travel.

I wasn't the one making a baseless accusation; I was telling my experiences with the personal. You are the one who assumed that I am "scamming". Do you think my family doctor, physiotherapist, eye doctor and the doctor I saw at the hospital are all in on my "scam"?

I understand that people do scam insurance companies, but that doesn't mean that you, or insurance should automatically assume everyone is scamming. I wasn't the one who drove another car into my car going 110km/hr on a packed highway. And you can't tell me that the doctors that an insurance company sends you to aren't biased!

The only reason I stated that I was not at fault was because if I were an idiot drinking or driving, then by all means my insurance company should treat me the way they are treating me. And I said about my bent frame because I am concerned about how safe my car now is.

My complaint is that I was told by my insurance if there is anything my personal benefits won't cover, such as over the counter medication my doctor recommends, they will cover it. I put in my expense form and it was denied. I was told that as long as I have a note from my family doctor stating I am unable to work, I will receive an income replacement benefit. Never happened. Yet I keep getting letters saying if I don't attend this appointment tomorrow, or if I don't mail in this form, my IRB will be cut off... If they are threatening to cut it off, that shows I should have been getting it all along.

If the only way to get the benefits that you are eligible for from an insurance company is to sue them, then by all means go ahead! This is what we pay insurance for! Maybe if they paid these benefits like they are supposed to, they wouldn't get sued.

Now go to your job at the personal tomorrow and tell all your co-workers about this post!
OogieBoogie wrote: Wow, that was rather rude. I am assuming you work for the Personal, right?

I am her sister and was a passenger in the vehicle that was in the accident. She is 100% not at fault as determined by 1. the police officer on scene, 2. the Personal, and 3. One of the other insured's insurance company who was involved in the MVA.

When she is finished getting her car fixed (ie. all the things that weren't fixed properly and/or fixed at all by the Personal's preferred repair shop), the cost of repairs will be well over half the price of the car. Can you not blame her for being upset that her nearly brand new car is now worth less than the original value, yet she still has to pay the full value of the car? I am sure you would feel the same was as her.

Not EVERYONE scams insurance companies. Yes, a lot of people do try to scam the insurance companies. That is why they put them through all the tests, etc. an even get surveillance done. In my experience, 90% of the people who do scam are usually immigrants. (No, I am not being rude or racist, but from the claims I have seen, that is my observation).

We have been seeing the same family doctor for well over 10 years now. We both travel to go and see her. Sure, we could just switch family doctor's, but why would we when we have a family doctor who knows us and knows her practice very well?

As for the doctor's hired by the insurance company, we all know they are biased and are just looking out for the best interest of the insurance company. They don't care what injury you have. Clearly, from my report from the insurance company's doctor, I see that their report is 1. just cut and paste, as I was called a "he" several times and also called someone else's name, and 2. the report contains false information (ie. he said that I said I use hot packs at home, which I did not say, as I don't even own hot packs). Also, the fact that I was with this doctor for 10 minutes and he is able to "write" a 16 page report, what does that tell you? I understand they are trying to find scammers, I get it. But when I have seen my family doctor multiple times since the accident, and she tells me to not work, not do this and not do that and sends me for tests, of course I am going to follow her advice, as she is someone who takes the time to examine me, ask me questions, etc., unlike the doctor from the insurer's examination who literally spent 10 minutes with me.

When someone is validly unable to return to work following an MVA, yes, they are entitled to IRBs.

But let me guess... you probably think that the fact that my entire arm, including 2 of my fingers, being completely numb since the week after the accident isn't a big deal, right? I guess that's why we have two arms and hands, right? Thank god for that! That is just one example of a valid injury that I am experiencing, and yes, I have gone to the hospital for tests.

From working in insurance law, I do know that people who have valid claims are entitled to certain benefits. Sure, I know all the tricks and trades of how I could totally scam an insurance company, but why would I? Not only is it unfair to those who have to pay higher insurance rates because of those scammers, it is also a waste of time for lawyers, adjuster's, etc. who have to deal with it.

As for our claim, they are probably just pissed off that they have to pay me benefits, as I don't have my own insurance.

Oh, and when we retained a lawyer, he didn't have very good things to say about the Personal. Yes, you read that right, a lawyer, not a paralegal. You think we would just not work and lose so far over $10,000.00 just so we can scam for our maximum of $400 per week? We aren't asking for a settlement, just the benefits we are entitled to while unable to work.

Nevertheless, my family doctor's diagnosis and advice is what I will follow. Funny thing, is that once the adjuster received the notes from my family doctor, she actually started being nice to me... she must have realized that this is serious.

Perhaps I should wish for you to experience an MVA one day so you can get injured and see what it's like and have someone tell you that you're scamming. But nah, I was raised better than that.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
I think the general consensus so far for OP is that you get what you pay for. They may be cheaper than other insurance companies but clearly there's a good reason for that: they cut corners on customer service, which is the most important element when you have to file a claim or involved in an accident. Whether saving a few bucks a month on inferior service in the event of a claim is worth the money, that is up to the individual.
actng wrote:
I've made a number of claims with them over the years and I've never had an issue with them. One time I suffered $1700 worth of damages from a hit and run while my car was parked on the street. I chose to go with my own body shop and they sent someone to come verify the damage and approve the work order. That rep fought for me to get additional parts replaced/painted properly!

How did they fight for you? Body shops get the authorization from insurance companies on what parts to use. Your insurance company doesn't have to "fight" for you. All they have to do is approve what the body shop is requesting because in many cases insurance companies don't want to pay for OEM parts unless they absolutely have to.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
liorsyncro wrote: I think the general consensus so far for OP is that you get what you pay for. They may be cheaper than other insurance companies but clearly there's a good reason for that: they cut corners on customer service, which is the most important element when you have to file a claim or involved in an accident. Whether saving a few bucks a month on inferior service in the event of a claim is worth the money, that is up to the individual.

How did they fight for you? Body shops get the authorization from insurance companies on what parts to use. Your insurance company doesn't have to "fight" for you. All they have to do is approve what the body shop is requesting because in many cases insurance companies don't want to pay for OEM parts unless they absolutely have to.

the body shop wanted to do less work than the insurance company wanted them to do. the insurance adjuster fought the body shop, "you gotta do this right" and told the insurance company to do more than they quoted to repair my car.

other insurance companies (like the ones that you're familiar with), as you said would have just authorized the body shop to do whatever (perhaps less). the personal in this case went above and beyond and told the bodyshop to do more.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
171 upvotes
Do you guys notice the two people with bad experiences with The Personal have only 3 posts on RedFlagDeals, and the other with only 10 posts.
Although it may be true, I'm not putting too much credibility to this. As I'd trust the feedback from someone with 500+ posts instead, who have contributed steadily to independent feedback on this forum. How do I know they don't work for a competitor, and just created the profiles to bash this insurer?

In the end, everyone's had good and bad experiences with insurers. I've had Great experiences with TD Meloche Monnex, and so have tons of others. But then there are others who had bad ones. As long as the overwhelming majority has not had negative experiences, then you'll be ok.

For the other poster who was denied income replacement benefits, at that point, you should hire a lawyer to deal with your situation. You'd be surprised how quick they'll pay then.

For a few bucks more (up to $200), I'd go with a more reputable insurer. But for 30% more, I would go with The Personal. That's my 2 cents.