• Aug 14th, 2017 1:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2559 posts
506 upvotes
Burlington

Commercial border clearance question

I often clear commercially from the US into Canada. I bring products (mostly phone equipment) into Canada to sell. Straight forward.
However, I'm looking into a manufacturing opportunity where we would be taking and bringing goods across the border for testing purposes. IE: build something here, send it across the border for testing, they make suggestions...or modifications, and send it back here to be tested/upgraded. At the end of the process, the product will likely be sold into the US.
These clearances would usually be quite time sensitive, so someone would likely be driving across (or flying) with the equipment
I know we could use a broker for this, but I'm concerned about the last minute response time more than the cost.
Suggestions?
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2559 posts
506 upvotes
Burlington
I've got a great broker for outside the norm stuff. Just wondering about clearing myself when we're not "selling" or "buying". Time is the issue.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Nov 22, 2008
282 posts
42 upvotes
ClearIt.ca claims to be able to clear their stuff within hours. I believe the main broker is Arrival, but if they are quick, it might be beneficial.
Apr 18, 2008
353 posts
99 upvotes
I bring commercial goods to US all the time. You just need the proper forms and documentations to cross. Depends what you bring and how much they are valued, you might need to do a formal entry that you need to send it to the custom and allow certain amount of time for them to process before you can bring the goods to the border. If it's an informal entry, you just need to prepare the forms and go straight to the border, give them the forms, they said you may go then you are done.

What we did was to find a broker, then they fill out all the forms and told us what kind of documentations we need, then we pay them their fees. Next time we just use the same forms without using the broker.