Careers

Commission entitlement after quitting job?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2012 8:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario

Commission entitlement after quitting job?

Year end has already passed, and I am debating whether or not to quit my job. Commission is payed out annually after year end (but I have yet to receive it, and it can be delayed for a few more months is history is my guide).

If I quit today, for instance, am I entitled to my complete commission?
If so, what is the maximum amount of time the employer is allowed to delay this payment?
5 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10158 posts
2731 upvotes
i see alot of firings that my lawfirm handles where the client wants ..and appears to get all commission owed to him/her up to the firing date.

I think you should be paid all commission.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
If u earned the commission (or bonus) before quitting, u should get paid for it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6831 posts
344 upvotes
Ottawa
Check your contract and that will give you the answer if you are entitled to it or not. Don't listen to a bunch of randoms on the net as each case is different and depend on the contract you signed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
setell wrote: Check your contract and that will give you the answer if you are entitled to it or not. Don't listen to a bunch of randoms on the net as each case is different and depend on the contract you signed.
Original contract said nothing, and technically is not even in effect (eg 'annual contract' yet to be updated in a few years)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6831 posts
344 upvotes
Ottawa
Check your employee handbook then. I know it has be written somewhere as to when you get paid and the stipulations for it.