companies still hiring ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 9:19 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes

companies still hiring ?

notices a bunch of finance jobs still being posted ...does this mean companies are still actively hiring. ....or are those positings automated by the company's HR system?
33 replies
Nov 8, 2018
173 posts
170 upvotes
Good question, I am applying actively. Let's see if I get any interviews
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s probably automated that company has already paid for. Most likely many will put hiring on hold. I wouldnt be surprised if many realized how much fat they have and started trimming it.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1163 posts
634 upvotes
Ripley
There are lots of places hiring. I live in a small town in rural Ontario and there was a news story tonight about all the places hiring. PSWs in long term care facilities is #1. No experience or qualifications necessary. Lots of agricultural jobs because migrant workers can't get here. Manufacturing jobs.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42338 posts
6728 upvotes
In our organization we just hired 3 new people to the team. So I guess it totally depends on the industry and how essential of a business it is.
Proud to be an Indian.
1966 posts
858 upvotes
HK
Very generic questions. Yes companies are hiring.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2230 posts
873 upvotes
companies are hiring, companies that are consider essential and recession proof that is.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11558 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
Not all sectors are dead or slow.
Both my wife and I work in Financial sector, and we are both busy working everyday.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 30, 2018
178 posts
71 upvotes
We should start a list of recession proof industries. Will give everyone an idea of where to apply in the future. I'll start. Pharmaceutical companies are hiring like crazy. All roles and positions salaries range from entry level janitorial $40,000 to associate directors making $120,000. Good luck everyone.
May 11, 2008
808 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver
I know a few engineering firms and trades I work with have been hiring because they're so busy but there's a couple I know that had to make some cuts.
The architecture firm I work for right now is busy and it's looking that way for quite a few months anyway.
I was talking to a friend and her husband was interviewing people for Microsoft.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9240 posts
1321 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Probably depends on the company/industry.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1534 posts
57 upvotes
Maple
Even if companies aren't actively hiring, many would still have openings to fill up their candidate pool so that when a hiring freeze is lifted, there may be some good candidates to reach out to. I'd suggest applying for positions if they are posted.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1487 posts
1252 upvotes
Ottawa
The public service is still hiring.

Recession resistant, and the process takes so long that we'll be booming again by the time they select a candidate.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: Very generic questions. Yes companies are hiring.
yes but specifically finance sector as per the body of my post
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
232 posts
62 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Not all sectors are dead or slow.
Both my wife and I work in Financial sector, and we are both busy working everyday.
as do I but seeking to move ...so wondering if there's even a point to try right now
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2989 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
How would you conduct an interview? They probably make the candidate to santize etc but how would you know if the company is safe from COVID19? Serious question because I'm thinking of switching to a deskjob.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1163 posts
634 upvotes
Ripley
dec12 wrote: How would you conduct an interview? They probably make the candidate to santize etc but how would you know if the company is safe from COVID19? Serious question because I'm thinking of switching to a deskjob.
Skype, Zoom, phone interview. People have been doing long distance interviews for a long time.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1487 posts
1252 upvotes
Ottawa
I got my current job through a Skype interview in early 2019, because it was on the other side of the country. It's not that uncommon.