PC & Video Games

Which company has the best extended warranty for PS5 and Xbox Series S/X?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 5:37 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax

Which company has the best extended warranty for PS5 and Xbox Series S/X?

So as we move towards the launch of both Playstation 5 and Xbox Series S/X, do we know which company offers the best extended warranty? Best Buy, The Source, EB Games, Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart, Amazon, Microsoft directly, Sony directly, Costco & your credit card.

Let's start. Feel free to correct and I will update the post. Also if anyone has details as to which vendors are used to repair items, let me know.

Best Buy

Playstation 5 disc - 2 years $99.99, 3 years $119.99
Playstation 5 Digital - 2 years $79.99, 3 years $99.99

Xbox Series X - 2 years $89.99, 3 years $109.99
Xbox Series S - 2 years $79.99, 3 years $99.99

Plan: In talking to a BB manager, I was told it would be the service plan with accidental damage coverage. If the console has a problem, you must bring it in to the local store where it will be shipped out. Up to 14 day turn around. If it cannot be fixed, then a credit on the original purchase price. Controllers will be replaced on the spot. During the manufacturer warranty period (1 year for both Sony and Microsoft) you must deal with the manufacturer. I do recall once upon a time (Xbox 360 and before) they offered replacement plans right out of the gate. Not any more. Warranty is not transferable.

The Source

Playstation 5 Disc - 3 years $69.99
Playstation 5 Digital - 3 years $69.99

Xbox Series X - 3 years - 3 years $69.99 (not confirmed)
Xbox Series S - 3 years - 3 years $69.99 (not confirmed)

Plan: Anything under $100 (controllers) will be replaced over the counter. Consoles need to be brought into the store and then they are shipped out. Not clear on ETA to fix. If the same problem persists within one year of the plan then they will replace the console. The warranty is transferable.

Walmart

Playstation 5 Disc - 2 years $75 or $90 TBD
Playstation 5 Digital 2 years $75 or $90 TBD

Xbox Series X - 2 years $75 or $90 TBD
Xbox Series S - 2 years $75 or $90 TBD

Plan: Phone the 1800 number to start a claim. 2 way shipping included. Original price paid will be credited to a GC if after 3 repairs the problem is not resolved. Manufacturer warranty in effect for the first year. Warranty is transferable.

Amazon

Asurion, same company that services Walmart. Cannot find their plans at the moment.

Shoppers Drug Mart

Unknown.

EB Games

Playstation 5 Disc - 1 year $80 or TBD
Playstation 5 Digital - 1 year $80 or TBD

Xbox Series X - 1 year $80 or TBD
Xbox Series S - 1 year $80 or TBD

Plan: Provides for a one time refurbished replacement of the hardware. Covers electronic breakdown but not physical damage or accidental damage. All systems need to be returned in their original packaging, with all applicable manuals. Only available to purchase in store.

Microsoft Directly
COMING SOON

Sony Directly
COMING SOON

Costco

Probably the best return policy out there. However, televisions and computers are limited return and extended warranties are needed. Not clear how videogame consoles are handled.

Credit Cards

This will vary depending on the card. Check with your credit card provider. Most are anywhere from 2-4 years.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1677 posts
531 upvotes
Pretty sure straight from MS and Sony will be the best.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4538 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go direct if possible. I've never had to send a console in last gen, but I had the Sony warranty and got two controllers replaced for the rubber coming off the sticks, and it was painless.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
inocent wrote: Pretty sure straight from MS and Sony will be the best.
Do we have pricing for those or is it generally within the paperwork inside the console box?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2161 posts
603 upvotes
Maple
Does sony offer an extended warranty direct from them? i cant find this information.
Dec 12, 2008
63 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
Germack wrote: In the case you live in Quebec do not bother with the extended warranty. You will be covered by the Legal Warranty.

https://educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/the- ... consumers/
While that’s the law in QC, how difficult is it to actually use? Anyways for at least a 2nd year of warranty credit cards that double the base one are the easiest to use...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2214 posts
1932 upvotes
Montreal
darkest_night wrote: While that’s the law in QC, how difficult is it to actually use? Anyways for at least a 2nd year of warranty credit cards that double the base one are the easiest to use...
Surprisingly easily. You just send them an email, refer to the Law and state your demands (Free repair/replacement or reimbursement of purchase amount). In two cases they refunded the purchase amount. In the last case Sennheiser is repairing my headphones free of charge.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19284 posts
8830 upvotes
Oakville
corcoran_chris wrote: Does sony offer an extended warranty direct from them? i cant find this information.
I believe they did with the PS4, no details on one for the PS5 yet tho