Careers

Which company name should I put on resume?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2020 3:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5944 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto

Which company name should I put on resume?

I was hired by an employment agency which sent me to work for this big IT company .. but this IT company has their own client (big engineering company) and we are currently working at the client site.

So which company name should I write on my resume?
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5944 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Just put down that you worked for the IT company XXX but the client is YYY. Make sure that your linkedin profile also matches what your resume has.
Doesn't that lead to legal issues, disclosing client name, etc?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16632 posts
5192 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote: Doesn't that lead to legal issues, disclosing client name, etc?
From who? I work for an agency and my client name is what is on my Linkedin and resume. You can just bypass the agency name altogether and just put the client name to get around that. If anything, the client name is what future employers would more recognize then the agency.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
big IT company name should be sufficient, plus what you actually did would be more relevant than a company name
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
Client company name (on contract through XYZ Agency)

done. Works for consulting firms if you get assigned to a particular client
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7200 posts
2235 upvotes
0 downvotes
I asked this same very question MONTHS ago, Its definitely OKAY to put big IT comapny on your Resume. Usually you dont do any work for the Agency they just manage your time entry and payroll, but the manager or boss you report to are all at big IT company so just put big IT Company on the resume. yes it gets complicated, cus some times an agency can make you work for Big IT company ftom Jan to March, and then they can make you work for Big Bank from Apr to July. so in that case just put each and every company name and forget about the agency names
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7200 posts
2235 upvotes
0 downvotes
also never in my life did anyone ask if my previous jobs were Seasonal or Contract or Full time or Part time. The only time I was asked was ONE time why I LEFT my job XXX and I had to tell the recruiter " please re-phrase the question, you are assuming I left by wording it in such a way, where you should ask first DID I Leave?" and guess what? the guy actually listened to me and re-worded the question and asked me DID i Leave and I said No, then gave him an explanation that my contract came to an end as to why my employment stopped on that date. This is better than you leaving cus if you left it looks like you did something wrong.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
test9251 wrote: I was hired by an employment agency which sent me to work for this big IT company .. but this IT company has their own client (big engineering company) and we are currently working at the client site.

So which company name should I write on my resume?
Client's name and your job title. You don't need to mention the employment agency. That's what I've done with no issues. I even had a recruiter tell me at one point that I don't need to indicate that it was a contract (I had that in brackets).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5944 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I asked this same very question MONTHS ago, Its definitely OKAY to put big IT comapny on your Resume. Usually you dont do any work for the Agency they just manage your time entry and payroll, but the manager or boss you report to are all at big IT company so just put big IT Company on the resume. yes it gets complicated, cus some times an agency can make you work for Big IT company ftom Jan to March, and then they can make you work for Big Bank from Apr to July. so in that case just put each and every company name and forget about the agency names
from the first post, what about the engineering company? leave that out?
Sep 8, 2004
255 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
If I do deliveries for Uber Eats (ie. the Employment Agency), that sent me to McDonald's (the IT Company), but it sent me to Donald Tru... er I mean Doug Ford's place (big engineering company) to deliver a huge order of burgers and what not now that we're in phase three and the Premier wants to throw a big party, do I put down Ford as the employer? What about McDonalds? Seriously, this is what it looks like you are asking.

BTW, It looks like you want to impress a top-tier prospective employer with your credentials. What happens when they run a BackCheck on you? Will the Premier of Ontario or his staff (big engineering company) know who you are? What about the McDonald's (It Company) franchisee?

You see where I'm going with this?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7200 posts
2235 upvotes
0 downvotes
cheap sk8, now your just not making practical sense, if you deliver for uber eats, uber eats is your employer, its like saying a canada post guy works for sears or the bay or shoppers drug mart cus majority of his shipments goes to those places. uber eats is who you report to, you drive an uber eats car, your employer is uber eats. not macdonalds. you dont report to macdonalds you merely deliver to them instead. this is not hard to understand,
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7200 posts
2235 upvotes
0 downvotes
test9251 wrote: from the first post, what about the engineering company? leave that out?
depends on who he actually reports to, does he do work for the parent company most of the time, or does he work for the child company most of the time and who is his direct report?

if you are employed by an agency to work for Google, but you work for their Nest division, and spend 100% of your time working directly with Nest managers and nest product, then you put nest. if you actually involve yourself with other google products and report to other google executives then you put google as your employer and you specify you primarily work on their nest department but dabble with other google departments, its NOT difficult, why are you guys making it difficult?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7816 posts
2894 upvotes
You work for the IT company. You did work for the engineering firm. Therefore, IT company in the header. Eng firm in the body.

Leave out any indication of your agency.

I think some posters here are confused that there are 3 parties involved here.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If you're a good candidate otherwise, it shouldn't affect your employability. You can indicate that you worked for X and Y as technically you peformed work for both companies.

Easier to say you worked for Y though if that is where you spent most your time. The IT company would grab eyes quicker since a staffing company could be engaged in much broader spread of industry. However, be sure to indicate the reality of the relationship if you reach the interview/initial screening stage in case they do an employment verification.

Quite often you will be employed with company X that performed services for client Y. You can include company X as your employer, indicating in the job description that you helped X perform services for Y, or worked on Y's project. This is more practical if you were employed with an agency that put you on many different projects with many different clients.

Some employers will threaten to sue you over this because they're afraid of the public knowing who their clients are, alleging you're breaching confidentiality expected, but they can't really do anything about it. Just a brief food for thought if you're worried about your relations with the staffing agency. Staffing companies often do not want people to know who their clients are, so to prevent people to seek work with the clients directly.

Here is an example pulled from an old resume I used to use:
Employer X; Class 1 Operator; Nov. 2016 - July 2018

- Invoicing and billing for oilfield services and pipeline construction projects; assist with Account Receivables;
- Provide Combo Unit support for horizontal directional drilling on Pembina and TransCanada pipeline construction projects (Phase V, VI, Wabasca NGTL).
- Haul water for Enbridge new pipeline construction; supply water for pressure testing.
- Provide Vac and Water Truck Support for Drilling Rigs for oilfield exploration projects: tank cleaning, cement job support, land spreading, and hauling of drill mud and invert.

... ...

Provide Semi-Vac support for vessel cleaning at 2018 MEG Energy Christina Lake Phase 2B $38M Turnaround maintenance project, and to dispose of drill mud produced by drilling operations.

- Operate Tanker Trucks for transport of ice-melt to Suncor oilsands sites. Haul water and glycol to MEG Energy for hydrotesting operations. Train new operators on Tankers and Walking Floor trailers.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bhrm wrote: Client company name (on contract through XYZ Agency)

done. Works for consulting firms if you get assigned to a particular client
I've worked for an agency before (actually twice) and on my CV and LinkedIn profile, the name of the company I worked at is listed and I put in brackets next to it that I was a consultant from ABC agency.

Generally during the interviews that I've had, the people in the interview don't care much about the agencies and ask me about my duties and responsibilities at the companies that I've worked. The agencies in my case was just the company that made my paycheques.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)