Personal Finance

Company ran credit check without SIN, I didn't know that was possible.

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2019 8:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3689 posts
1532 upvotes
Scarborough

Company ran credit check without SIN, I didn't know that was possible.

I signed up to this CanadaDrivers for a personal quote and all I did was fill in my name, address and birthday and the next thing you know I got a credit check on my profile from them. Didn't know it was that easy to get a (hard hit)? from simple information.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5634 posts
3553 upvotes
I requested TransUnion to remove my SIN from my credit file and they did.
OrangeBerry wrote: I signed up to this CanadaDrivers for a personal quote and all I did was fill in my name, address and birthday and the next thing you know I got a credit check on my profile from them. Didn't know it was that easy to get a (hard hit)? from simple information.
Are you serious? :lol:
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2874 posts
2602 upvotes
Montreal
To run a credit check you only need name, address, and consent.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1568 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When you request credit, the lender gives you a form asking for info including your SIN. It will say you do not have to give your SIN, with some verbiage that it may take longer or be less accurate without your SIN.

You can check your credit without a SIN. The company should have told you they were going to check your credit. You should not have been surprised.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6411 posts
2812 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hvwozq wrote: I requested TransUnion to remove my SIN from my credit file and they did.

To remove SIN... did you just write up a letter and mailed/faxed it?

Or there is a form from TU?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3689 posts
1532 upvotes
Scarborough
hvwozq wrote: I requested TransUnion to remove my SIN from my credit file and they did.
FrancisBacon wrote: To run a credit check you only need name, address, and consent.
FoFai2015 wrote: When you request credit, the lender gives you a form asking for info including your SIN. It will say you do not have to give your SIN, with some verbiage that it may take longer or be less accurate without your SIN.

You can check your credit without a SIN. The company should have told you they were going to check your credit. You should not have been surprised.

I never knew they could run a credit check without SIN and I'm saying this because I didn't think it would be that easy to mess someone's credit with that basic information that so many people can easily get access to.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6011 posts
1877 upvotes
Montreal
OrangeBerry wrote: I signed up to this CanadaDrivers for a personal quote and all I did was fill in my name, address and birthday and the next thing you know I got a credit check on my profile from them. Didn't know it was that easy to get a (hard hit)? from simple information.
Just for the fun of it, I checked out the website and their disclaimer is very clear and visible, not hidden at all.
By clicking on the Continue Button, I confirm my agreement to Canada Drives’ General Terms of Service and my consent to Canada Drives, car dealers and lenders obtaining credit reports about me to facilitate my application for a car loan.
Anyways, stay away from these guys. They charge you ridiculous interest rates.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
790 upvotes
centre of universe
FrancisBacon wrote: To run a credit check you only need name, address, and consent.
Birthdate.
I just ran Trans-union check.. Just few mts ago. had to answer some questions. Name, Address, Birth Date (a must), previous possible address, phone numbers, employment details, or credit card.
SIN number optional. oot provided/entered. Got it and found some mistake. two as far as back in 1996. Not going to correct as I dont care.

also saw inquiry from Stats Canada.!@#$
Its car loan and credit. financing. What else did you expect? They will run credit check. But I thought may be drivers license is also required at such car loan companies.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7960 posts
3246 upvotes
Financial District B…
A SIN number is not required to perform a credit inquiry with any of the two credit bureau agencies once you permit authorization/consent.(app for credit or data verification)
A credit application can contain up to 15 different identifiers and a credit inquiry can be performed with as little as just 2 identifiers. (name and date of birth)
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
1327 posts
696 upvotes
Pluto
Funny story! I filed out the form on their site and CLOSED the browser, did not hit continue because I had a change of heart. The next morning they send me an email saying they are going process my loan in the next 30 minutes. Called them, told them I did NOT hit next I closed the browser and she stopped the process. I caught it before they did a credit hit

These guys are super shady
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1210 posts
1006 upvotes
Calgary
OrangeBerry wrote: I never knew they could run a credit check without SIN and I'm saying this because I didn't think it would be that easy to mess someone's credit with that basic information that so many people can easily get access to.
The SIN is more of an extra identifier when searching your credit, to make sure they have the right person but in reality it doesn't really help that much. It's a much bigger deal in the US where it's a lot more common to have Jr and Sr names (where peoples credit reports would get mixed up without a SSN). Many countries like the UK don't use their version of the SIN for any credit related activities and manage perfectly fine.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2968 upvotes
Yet another example of not reading the terms and conditions of what you signed up for as shown by @psyko514 .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3689 posts
1532 upvotes
Scarborough
Conquistador wrote: Yet another example of not reading the terms and conditions of what you signed up for as shown by @psyko514 .
It was a spur of the moment popup ad, I was browsing through AutoTrader looking for cars and this popped up asking me they will give me a quote in seconds. I just thought they would estimate a car loan price based on my inputs and needs (kinda like a mortgage calculator). My intentions weren't to get a loan from the company directly but they made it seem like it was just a quote for any car I desire. This is why I was angry they mislead me.

Mind you, my credit is perfect I don't need to go through with them and I got a LOC I can use but I like I said above they led me to believe it was just a quick quote to estimate my monthly payments. I should have noticed the red flags when asking me for this type of information.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1743 posts
552 upvotes
This is Canada not America, you don't need to give your SIN for anything.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1209 posts
1218 upvotes
Markham, ON
Name and DOB is sufficient to run a credit check.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10076 posts
12048 upvotes
Vancouver
SIN is NOT needed for loans or even credit checks. The only people that need your SIN are the CRA, and anyone who you deal with that may have to report data about you to the CRA (i.e, banks you have savings accounts and interest income with). There is no reason to give it out to anyone else and that includes for credit checks.