Shopping Discussion

Company sends gross used product (was an X-Mas gift), what to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2016 8:08 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2004
532 posts
129 upvotes

Company sends gross used product (was an X-Mas gift), what to do?

I don't want to name any names yet, but I bought a Bamix immersion blender for $170+tax+express shipping because it was a Christmas gift. Let me say that this is a fairly large established company, not an Ebay seller or anything like that.

This is the nasty state it showed up in. It looks like I bought it at Value Village. This was being sold as a brand new product.

-The box is in awful shape with cuts and rips. Notice the scotch tape on the first image.
-The product was thrown in pieces loosely in the box which I'm sure it does not ship like brand new.
-The bag for the mixer is in the box under everything, not even on the mixer.
-There is a brown food stain on the manual.
-There are fingerprints all over the plastic cup.
-There is a MISSING part (the lid that goes on the plastic cup).
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

I contacted the company and the CS rep told me first that they can't replace it before the new year, but would send a "better" model in its place. Supposedly this item is now out of stock, and the one I was shipped was a return that was supposed to go back to Bemix. The thing is that the model they're offering is a more basic version that's actually cheaper if bought from Amazon.

So I counter offered that they send me a model that's actually better, but costs $250 + tax on their site.

He is like "I can't do that because of the higher cost of the item, but I can give it to you for $200 but it won't be available until the new year" (remember, this was supposed to be a Christmas gift). He said that would be an extra $25 but I'm not even sure where that figure comes from.

If this was 6 months ago I would have probably just accepted it because the $250 model is a lot better, but remember, this is now a completely botched Christmas gift, plus I have to go through the hassle of returning the old one.

Any advice on what to do? I don't want to name the company yet because I do believe this was an honest mistake on their part. I feel like it's so tacky of them to ask me for an extra $25 considering they ruined a Christmas gift like this. I certainly don't want to give them any more of my money. No matter what, it won't be arriving for weeks at this rate.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4584 upvotes
Alberta
If it was me, I would return it and ask for a refund. I find it hard to believe that it was a shipping error though.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
I don't believe consequential damage can be a consideration for the seller. OP emphasizes it was a Christmas gift. That's important to the buyer but not the seller.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
Let me guess... AirMiles ? (aka LoyaltyOne, whose parent company is Alliance Data)

According to your phrasing, it's either a shipping error or they decided to do a substitution. Neither is acceptable, but mistake do happen either way.

If it's in exchange for airmiles which you want to get rid of, just want for the same-item NEW replacement.

If you paid real money for it, just return it and buy elsewhere?
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4005 posts
2848 upvotes
Vancouver
Ship it back for a refund. But another gift today.

Thread is kinda pointless. The company rep already gave you the answer. It's logistically impossible for them to ship another unit in time for Christmas.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14012 posts
9090 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
The Shopping Channel?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13604 posts
2380 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Return the blender and wait for the replacement. In the meantime, chill out as this type of inconvenience happens all the time to the rest of us -- that's life! If u don't want to wait for the replacement, go out and buy something else for a xmas present.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4210 posts
2126 upvotes
OMG Christmas is ruined .. because of a blender.