Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3298 posts
1686 upvotes

comparing credit card by spending

Is there an app or website that does this if we plug in some spending numbers?
13 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3298 posts
1686 upvotes
I recalled someone on the capital one thread said they created their own spreadsheet. If no one have one, i will see if i can create something, i thought this idea would have been done by those websites that compare CC.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15531 posts
14044 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: There are some sucky ones, like the "quiz" at credit card genius. But nothing beats the collective wisdom of the fine folks that hang out here in the RFD credit card forum.
This. All those sites just push affiliate products.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jan 4, 2007
306 posts
133 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: There are some sucky ones, like the "quiz" at credit card genius. But nothing beats the collective wisdom of the fine folks that hang out here in the RFD credit card forum.
And what are the top 2-3 MC/Visa ones?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15531 posts
14044 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: Depends on your spending patterns. It's impossible to give a recommendation without knowing that.
Agreed. I have proposed my 2-4 card combo with alternatives in each slot to maximize rewards, then card four or five and onwards should be churn cards (or a drawer card dedicated to a certain spend/merchant), and prepaids to fill some gaps.

But I'll pitch it again...
  1. slot one: should be your high earner, therefore AF card is ok here. First pick AmEx Cobalt, second pick BNS AmEx Gold, third pick a 4% grocery cashback card (BNS, CIBC, Meridian, worst case scenario TD CBI)
  2. Slot two: should be ideally a MasterCard, and one that covers the food groups that aren't covered in slot one. CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE is my favourite, alternatively PCF WE, Robbers WE, Brim MC, or Simplii VISA if nothing else
  3. Slot three: pick another card mentioned in slot two, or grab TD Cash VISA from the US. Gain unfiltered US merchant acceptance
  4. Slot four: optional - pick yet another card previously mentioned, or a US issued AmEx

Anything beyond that should be churn or drawer cards. Drawer cards can include for the odd online transaction, for BT's, etc. but not for regular use and not to be carried in one's wallet.

Food groups to aim for are travel perks (travel medical, etc.), roadside assistance, no-FTF. Mobile device protection is nice, but can be managed with a drawer card. Some will want price protection, which may influence choice of cards. Combine that with optimizing rewards across 2-4 cards. Factor in accelerator caps, annual fees, etc. Doing all no-AF cards will probably result in a 4-7 keeper card deck in a merry-go-round, but most of us cannot justify more than one AF keeper card. Note that many of these AF keeper cards can be slow churned to dodge AF and loot welcome bonus on those multiple times as well.

This is all further discussed in the CC combos thread.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Dec 12, 2007
914 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Agreed. I have proposed my 2-4 card combo with alternatives in each slot to maximize rewards, then card four or five and onwards should be churn cards (or a drawer card dedicated to a certain spend/merchant), and prepaids to fill some gaps.

But I'll pitch it again...
  1. slot one: should be your high earner, therefore AF card is ok here. First pick AmEx Cobalt, second pick BNS AmEx Gold, third pick a 4% grocery cashback card (BNS, CIBC, Meridian, worst case scenario TD CBI)
  2. Slot two: should be ideally a MasterCard, and one that covers the food groups that aren't covered in slot one. CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE is my favourite, alternatively PCF WE, Robbers WE, Brim MC, or Simplii VISA if nothing else
  3. Slot three: pick another card mentioned in slot two, or grab TD Cash VISA from the US. Gain unfiltered US merchant acceptance
  4. Slot four: optional - pick yet another card previously mentioned, or a US issued AmEx

Anything beyond that should be churn or drawer cards. Drawer cards can include for the odd online transaction, for BT's, etc. but not for regular use and not to be carried in one's wallet.

Food groups to aim for are travel perks (travel medical, etc.), roadside assistance, no-FTF. Mobile device protection is nice, but can be managed with a drawer card. Some will want price protection, which may influence choice of cards. Combine that with optimizing rewards across 2-4 cards. Factor in accelerator caps, annual fees, etc. Doing all no-AF cards will probably result in a 4-7 keeper card deck in a merry-go-round, but most of us cannot justify more than one AF keeper card. Note that many of these AF keeper cards can be slow churned to dodge AF and loot welcome bonus on those multiple times as well.

This is all further discussed in the CC combos thread.
For drawer card I store most of them in Apple Pay in the odd case I may need them.

Otherwise throw in the “drawer”!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15531 posts
14044 upvotes
Going to the Moon
phoenix_bladen wrote: For drawer card I store most of them in Apple Pay in the odd case I may need them.

Otherwise throw in the “drawer”!
Sure, but cards in your mobile wallet, don't you use them regularly on rotation? I wouldn't consider those as drawer cards, but at this point this becomes semantics. I expressed my point of view to explain my hierarchy of keeper cards, it's obviously subjective.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4766 posts
3860 upvotes
zzricezz wrote: hmm i think i found the site that can do what i want it to do,

https://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/td- ... calculator

it allows you to put in all the categories of monthly spending and you can compare the card, it give you a break down of everything including second year to account for AF.

Yes, that calculator at ratehub and the one at credit card genius convinced us that with our average monthly spending, especially during this pandemic, that it wasn't worth it for us to use fee cards when spending in tandem with a spouse.

You may have a higher spending level or decide to churn cards so in either case it may be worth it. Up to you.
Dec 12, 2007
914 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Sure, but cards in your mobile wallet, don't you use them regularly on rotation? I wouldn't consider those as drawer cards, but at this point this becomes semantics. I expressed my point of view to explain my hierarchy of keeper cards, it's obviously subjective.
Not really so yes technically I shouldn’t keep them in my digital wallet but oh well.....

Brim for example is situational as a FX card but I haven’t travelled lately so I don’t touch it
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15531 posts
14044 upvotes
Going to the Moon
phoenix_bladen wrote: Not really so yes technically I shouldn’t keep them in my digital wallet but oh well.....

Brim for example is situational as a FX card but I haven’t travelled lately so I don’t touch it
Fair, if it's just for the odd forex spend I'd consider it a drawer card. 🤷‍♂️