Computers & Electronics

Compatible Aftermarket USB wired Keyboard for 2016 Macbook Air

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2021 12:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43980 posts
7551 upvotes

Compatible Aftermarket USB wired Keyboard for 2016 Macbook Air

Hey folks!

Looking for some options that are compatible with a Macbook Air from 2016.

The official Apple ones are BT. I am looking for one that is wired. I know I can use a Windows keyboard, but I am getting this for a family member and would prefer a keyboard that has the Mac buttons such as the Command key.

I came across this but no one has it and it is sold by some unknown seller on Amazon.

https://cherryamericas.com/cherry-kc-60 ... r-mac.html

Thanks in advance.
Blanka
9 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
18679 posts
5699 upvotes
Toronto
BTW, there is an early 2015 Air and a 2017 Air.

The keyboard you linked is a European keyboard. Do you need that particular layout? What about getting a wired Apple Magic keyboard?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
7459 posts
1716 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Funny...I was looking for another Mac keyboard myself for my Mac Mini.

I currently use the Apple aluminum keyboard A1243 which I really like but Apple no longer makes that or an equivalent.

One thing I'm looing for is a built in USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 hub, not just USB 1.2 - the cherry one doesn't seem to include a USB hub at all.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
7459 posts
1716 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
audit13 wrote: BTW, there is an early 2015 Air and a 2017 Air.

The keyboard you linked is a European keyboard. Do you need that particular layout? What about getting a wired Apple Magic keyboard?
What makes you think that keyboard has a European layout?
That keyboard linked to has an @ key which the keyboard I had to use in Germany did not, to type @ one needed to use a special key combination and on the European one there were also some keys rearranged which is not the case on the linked keyboard.

As to your suggestion to get a wired Apple Magic keyboard - do you have a moel number for that?
I thought the Apple Magic keyboard only came as a wireless model since 2018
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... b-ces-2018
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
18679 posts
5699 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: What makes you think that keyboard has a European layout?
That keyboard linked to has an @ key which the keyboard I had to use in Germany did not, to type @ one needed to use a special key combination and on the European one there were also some keys rearranged which is not the case on the linked keyboard.

As to your suggestion to get a wired Apple Magic keyboard - do you have a moel number for that?
I thought the Apple Magic keyboard only came as a wireless model since 2018
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... b-ces-2018
I saw the L-shaped enter key and made the assumption it was European. Bad assumption on my part.

The Apple Magic Keyboard functions as a wired keyboard when connected with a lightning cable to a computer. Again, my bad and I should have been clearer in my post. I was in a hurry and typing on my phone.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20692 posts
6901 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: The Apple Magic Keyboard functions as a wired keyboard when connected with a lightning cable to a computer.
Yup. Works great that way. Unfortunately, it’s fairly expensive.
krs wrote: If that is too expensive, there is alsp a omewhat cheaper Matias one in plastic and a much cheaper one, around $25.- by Macally
The Macally keyboards have some pretty iffy reviews. How are the Matias ones?

I personally use some older generation Apple wired keyboards, the ones with the built in USB 2 hub.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43980 posts
7551 upvotes
krs wrote: I would recommend the Matias keyboard to the OP
https://matias.store/collections/scisso ... cts/fk318s

If that is too expensive, there is alsp a omewhat cheaper Matias one in plastic and a much cheaper one, around $25.- by Macally
Thanks. I’ll take a look.

Seems like Matias is a Canadian brand and located in Aurora.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
7459 posts
1716 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
EugW wrote: Yup. Works great that way.
Does it have a USB2 hub when used in the wired mode?
Unfortunately, it’s fairly expensive.
Yeah you pay for the Apple name and also for Bluetooth capability which you don't use.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20692 posts
6901 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: Does it have a USB2 hub when used in the wired mode?
No. That's one reason I hang onto my old wireless keyboards for other machines. However, I find that less relevant these days, since a lot of my faster USB thumb drives don't work with that built-in USB 2 hub, since it doesn't provide enough power. And of course, it's limited to USB 2 speeds. It's helpful for my wireless RF mice though.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)