• Jan 23rd, 2020 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1724 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton

Compensation due to delayed flight by Emirates

I had my flight arrival from DXB-SEA-YEG delayed by 6 hrs 30 mins. The DXB to SEA was delayed by 1 hr and 30 mins due to " medical reasons as per the "captains announcements". Upon arrival at SEA we were told by the Emirates ground staff that they're rebooking us for next available flight coz we're not going to make it on time before the gate close. . The original flight was as follows;

SEA to YEG : Dep 14:45 Arv 17:40
Alaska Airlines

Rebooked flight was :

SEA to YEG : Dep 21:15 Arv 00:11 via Alaska Airlines

The ticket (pax=4) was booked online thru Emirates.

Are we able to get compensation from Emirates?
Unknown wrote: Why is Playbook at $199 a door crasher??? Because Canadians are gullible. :razz:
16 replies
Feb 14, 2008
99 posts
79 upvotes
Calgary
In no jurisdiction would any airline be obligated to offer you anything in the way of compo if the reason for the initial delay was medical.

If you paid through a credit card that includes trip delay insurance you might be able to claim meals, etc during the unplanned layover in SEA.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1724 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton
yyc-guy wrote: In no jurisdiction would any airline be obligated to offer you anything in the way of compo if the reason for the initial delay was medical.

If you paid through a credit card that includes trip delay insurance you might be able to claim meals, etc during the unplanned layover in SEA.
Thanks for the reply, not to sound unsympathetic to the medical emergency but that delay was really frustrating and made the flight much longer that it should be.
Unknown wrote: Why is Playbook at $199 a door crasher??? Because Canadians are gullible. :razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2276 posts
2952 upvotes
Imagine how the guy having a heart attack felt!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1724 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton
13inches wrote: Imagine how the guy having a heart attack felt!
Im not being callous here which I address in my previous post knowing that somehow someone will try to burn me out.

If youre just here for the argument, would you mind moving on please.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2564 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
desertdeal wrote: Im not being callous here which I address in my previous post knowing that somehow someone will try to burn me out.

If youre just here for the argument, would you mind moving on please.
I assume the medical delay was due to a passenger on board requiring medical attention (and may or may not was offloaded prior to departure). Having said that, due to compensation rules it’s not within the airline’s control. So no compensation would be given. Could you write them and maybe they would offer a future discount just to be nice? Sure.

What time was your Emirates flight supposed to arrive in Seattle?
What was your ORIGINAL flight departure time for your Alaskan airlines flight?

Alaskan/Emirates had to book you on THEIR next available flight (I imagine there’s limited flights from SEA-YEG) so it makes sense that with the initial delay perhaps the next flight was at 9:15pm (causing you to have a longer then expected layover).
Sep 18, 2019
202 posts
128 upvotes
Based on other posts and my own experience, each case is individual and no one here can tell you will get compensate or not. Just write an email to Emirates and explain your situation. Once you get a response from them and we will have more facts to analysis your situation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1724 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton
BrunetteGirl wrote: I assume the medical delay was due to a passenger on board requiring medical attention (and may or may not was offloaded prior to departure). Having said that, due to compensation rules it’s not within the airline’s control. So no compensation would be given. Could you write them and maybe they would offer a future discount just to be nice? Sure.

What time was your Emirates flight supposed to arrive in Seattle?
What was your ORIGINAL flight departure time for your Alaskan airlines flight?

Alaskan/Emirates had to book you on THEIR next available flight (I imagine there’s limited flights from SEA-YEG) so it makes sense that with the initial delay perhaps the next flight was at 9:15pm (causing you to have a longer then expected layover).
The DXB to SEA was supposed to arrive at 12:45 pm and the next flight from SEA- DXB was to leave by 14:45 pm. The delay cause the DXB -SEA flight to arrive at 13:45 pm, we were then called out at the luggage claim and given the re-scheduled flight.
I guess the next available direct flight was around 9 pm which was kind of reasonable coming from a long haul flight.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2967 upvotes
Sunway wrote: Based on other posts and my own experience, each case is individual and no one here can tell you will get compensate or not. Just write an email to Emirates and explain your situation. Once you get a response from them and we will have more facts to analysis your situation.
It's Emirates so pretty unlikely that OP will get any response or one that is satisfactory to their liking. Those ME airlines are great to fly...when things go well. Beyond that, move along as there's nothing to see here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1724 posts
174 upvotes
Edmonton
Conquistador wrote: It's Emirates so pretty unlikely that OP will get any response or one that is satisfactory to their liking. Those ME airlines are great to fly...when things go well. Beyond that, move along as there's nothing to see here.
Indeed, unless you're flying to/from EU countries(Canada should have tailored the Air Passenger Protection Regulations from EU) there's nothing much to expect from ME airlines.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2564 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
desertdeal wrote: The DXB to SEA was supposed to arrive at 12:45 pm and the next flight from SEA- DXB was to leave by 14:45 pm. The delay cause the DXB -SEA flight to arrive at 13:45 pm, we were then called out at the luggage claim and given the re-scheduled flight.
I guess the next available direct flight was around 9 pm which was kind of reasonable coming from a long haul flight.
Never flown through SEA but 2 hours for an international flight arriving into the US & connecting onwards is pretty tight even in the best of circumstances (considering you would have to deplane from a large aircraft- clear US immigration & recheck your bags ....go to your gate).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1382 posts
565 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Never flown through SEA but 2 hours for an international flight arriving into the US & connecting onwards is pretty tight even in the best of circumstances (considering you would have to deplane from a large aircraft- clear US immigration & recheck your bags ....go to your gate).
yeah, I'd never consider 2 hours to be enough for an int'l flight inbound to the US unless it's from a preclearance airport (which is very few outside of Canada).

learned that lesson one time (although wasn't my fault). I had a flight from Mexico City to Houston that was cancelled and rescheduled so the layover time between my MEX-IAH and IAH-LAX flights were shrunk down to 1.5h from 4h. Great, enough time right? Nope. because American security theatre considers every person flying in from Mexico a narco, I guess, so they run you through the drug dog (singular, because they had ONE dog working a line of 400+ people, brilliant TSA/DHS logic) and then they rescreen you again through the TSA screeners. by the time I was done with that crapola, I made it on my second flight with just minutes to spare before the doors closed. Total BS.

I've made it a mission that no matter how much money I'm saving, I'm never considering any US airport as a transit point for international flights, ever.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2276 posts
2952 upvotes
Clement wrote: I've made it a mission that no matter how much money I'm saving, I'm never considering any US airport as a transit point for international flights, ever.
Amen.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4627 posts
1048 upvotes
Scarborough
desertdeal wrote: Indeed, unless you're flying to/from EU countries(Canada should have tailored the Air Passenger Protection Regulations from EU) there's nothing much to expect from ME airlines.
Regardless if there was a policy in place, you wouldn't get anything because it was a medical emergency.

This is the life of flying. Expect delays. Don't like it, don't fly.