Complaint against neighbours noise

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 3:49 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
27 posts
1 upvote

Complaint against neighbours noise

Do you have a neighbour making loud noises day and night?
Unfortunately, I do.
I can understand that noises came from many activities during the day such as kids playing basketballs on their driveway, neighbour mowing their lawn, people talking on their mobile phone in front of their house etc. How about a neighbour making noises randomly during day and night to the point that you have your door shut and Windows closed but you can still hear the noises.
I can actually record this neighbour noises with my Windows closed(curtains down) and doors shut in my house.
As a matter of fact, I spoke with other neighbours who already moved away and they were annoyed of having people with absolutely no consideration of others as neighbour.
Believe it or not, this phenomenon has been going on for over 10 years.
Anyone would like to share their bad experience?
12 replies
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
OP what kind of noises? If its loud music at night on weekdays you can complain, but not for "normal" activities.

In the apartment above me I hear LOUD running of barefooted children and the weird thing is that it's from 1am to 3am. Who in hell lets their kids run for hours in the wee hours of the night? I hope its not a vacant apartment because I really going to freak out then.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3195 posts
1334 upvotes
Montreal
Unfortunately this is quite common in old buildings with multiple units. I've personally always had tons of problems in such places but had very little issues in buildings with only 3-5 units.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1170 posts
563 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote: OP what kind of noises? If its loud music at night on weekdays you can complain, but not for "normal" activities.

In the apartment above me I hear LOUD running of barefooted children and the weird thing is that it's from 1am to 3am. Who in hell lets their kids run for hours in the wee hours of the night? I hope its not a vacant apartment because I really going to freak out then.
That is obviously ghosts
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1522 posts
1544 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: OP what kind of noises? If its loud music at night on weekdays you can complain, but not for "normal" activities.

I have the same problem. Will talk to the Manager this week as i suspect the owner did not follow Sound isolation guidelines when renovating. It used to be a none issue but they removed the carpet and probably used hardwood with no underlay (or not enuf)
Nov 6, 2014
746 posts
1142 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Is this a house, condo, townhouse, semi, apartment? If it's a house there is no excuse but if its the others, you pretty much signed yourself up for disturbances given the close proximity though it shouldn't be excessive or outside of noise polution time frames.
Last edited by fordmaple on Apr 20th, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9004 posts
10280 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
As isolation fever sets in....Expect more of these threads
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you live in a house? If so, complain to the town - I'm quite sure sounds that are unreasonable eg blaring stereo, cussing/screaming beyond a certain hour eg sleeping hour? will (hopefully) be dealt with, esp if there's others to substantiate it. If animals, even more as this could be grounds for animal neglect/abuse - heck are their dogs/pets even registered??? ... In short just course through town, if possible or if parties, through police, as I would think social distancing isn't being followed...

If just regular construction work, nothing you can do unless again, it's at odd hours of the night...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6410 posts
1074 upvotes
Sorry, but the only practical and effective thing that you can do is to move away.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9937 posts
5228 upvotes
Paris
MusicBox wrote: In the apartment above me I hear LOUD running of barefooted children and the weird thing is that it's from 1am to 3am. Who in hell lets their kids run for hours in the wee hours of the night? I hope its not a vacant apartment because I really going to freak out then.
Sounds more like ghosts of children walking upside down on your ceiling. Sleep with one eye open bro.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5676 posts
3428 upvotes
I never hear my neighbours. They are very quiet.

Which probably means I’m the noisey one
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1619 posts
673 upvotes
London
I feel for you. We moved because of our noisy neighbours. They had just built, put in a pool. We knew they weren’t leaving, so we did. It is not uncommon at all. Move or figure out their sleep schedule and f with that.
Jan 21, 2013
698 posts
181 upvotes
in a bubble
Join the club! my neighbour is throwing around a medicine ball in his driveway which is 2 ft from our livingroom. & when hes not doing that,,,hes lifting weights & NOT gently dropping them.

gonna be a LONG summer....