Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
238 posts
134 upvotes

Completely lost... Need advice between TD Rewards, Aeroplan and CIBC Aventura

Hello there,

Im new to credit in Canada and currently I have the TD Platinum Travel CC.
My main destination when redeeming points would be Buenos Aires. Now, just out of curiosity because the airline I'd take is Air Canada, I made a search and I found that a roundtrip flight would be 60k miles + around $550 in taxes which is insane !

Now, I made a search in Expedia For TD and the total price for the same flight is around $947 (Including taxes).
About CIBC Aventura, honestly I don't have a clue at all, but it could be an alternative from what I read.

If you don't mind, could someone explain me what my best option is and if im not mistaken, should I discard the Aeroplan option?

Thanks all !
19 replies
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
238 posts
134 upvotes
Cheapmaestro wrote: Here's a good guide:
https://princeoftravel.com/aeroplan-guide

Tl;dr: never redeem on Scare Canada
Thanks about it.... Then according to that guide its not good at all for me.
There are not so many airlines that flight from Canada to my home country. Air Canada is just one of them and the only one that allows 2 baggages.
Now the ticket outside Aeroplan has only a cost of $150 in taxes which it makes Aeroplan if im correct a big NO for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5028 posts
1670 upvotes
ezequielfriscia wrote: Hello there,

Im new to credit in Canada and currently I have the TD Platinum Travel CC.
My main destination when redeeming points would be Buenos Aires. Now, just out of curiosity because the airline I'd take is Air Canada, I made a search and I found that a roundtrip flight would be 60k miles + around $550 in taxes which is insane !

Now, I made a search in Expedia For TD and the total price for the same flight is around $947 (Including taxes).
About CIBC Aventura, honestly I don't have a clue at all, but it could be an alternative from what I read.

If you don't mind, could someone explain me what my best option is and if im not mistaken, should I discard the Aeroplan option?

Thanks all !
Depending where you are based, consider flying out of the U.S.
Sometimes I fly from YVR to SFO or LAX using my avios and from LAX/SFO a ton of options open up.

It's hard to fly out of and into Canada without flying with Air Can but sometimes it is possible if you check hard enough.

I have HSBC pts, CIBC aventura, TD rewards pts, etc. I have found it hard to accumulate enough pts in those programs to get a free flight. I use those pts for car rental and hotel. For flights, aeroplan and avios are best. Sometimes air miles for short haul flights, esp with WestJet.
Aug 5, 2018
539 posts
753 upvotes
Dont go with aventura, very bad program.

TD rewards are mostly used for hotels, as expedia basically gives fligjt prices given by google, so there aren't any discounts there. Of course, you can just buy non-discount google priced tickets pn expedoa for TD using points at 0.5c/pt, which is not bad.

Aeroplan is by far the best option, if you are ok with layover in US. Just book united, with fees less than $100.

In fact, you can 'stopover' in a US city for however long you like, if you book a roundtrip ticket, choose multi-city on aeroplan flight search.
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
238 posts
134 upvotes
xx1what wrote: Dont go with aventura, very bad program.

TD rewards are mostly used for hotels, as expedia basically gives fligjt prices given by google, so there aren't any discounts there. Of course, you can just buy non-discount google priced tickets pn expedoa for TD using points at 0.5c/pt, which is not bad.

Aeroplan is by far the best option, if you are ok with layover in US. Just book united, with fees less than $100.

In fact, you can 'stopover' in a US city for however long you like, if you book a roundtrip ticket, choose multi-city on aeroplan flight search.

Yeah that's what I saw about TD.... Guess, its my only option.
About Aeroplan again, there are not so many airlines going from Montreal to Buenos Aires which allows 2 baggages in the ticket for a cheap price. Aeroplan wants to charges me either 100k miles, 60k miles + $550 in taxes or 35k miles + $650 in taxes which seems kind of a steal.

That would make it 100k Aeroplan Miles vs 197k TD Points for exactly the SAME ticket without putting a cent.
I mean the only logic or sense would be if its easier to collect 100k Aeroplan Miles rather than 197k TD points.
May 26, 2009
562 posts
746 upvotes
Calgary
You should be able to find the flights on Aeroplan for less than $200 round trip flying United through Newark.

For example, I see a one way flight YUL-EWR-EZE on March 24 for a total of 30k AP + $90.10 in fees. Just do a search on AP on that date and look at either of the United flights with 1 stopover that comes up. I didn't try the return flight, but I'm assuming it would be about the same.

To find dates that work for you, search for reward flights on United. Make sure you are looking for non-stop Reward Flights, and you'll have to search each segment separately (i.e. YUL-EWR then EWR-EZE) to find dates that work for both segments. I saw quite a few in a quick search, so you'll likely be able to get a date that works for you.
Aug 5, 2018
539 posts
753 upvotes
ezequielfriscia wrote: Yeah that's what I saw about TD.... Guess, its my only option.
About Aeroplan again, there are not so many airlines going from Montreal to Buenos Aires which allows 2 baggages in the ticket for a cheap price. Aeroplan wants to charges me either 100k miles, 60k miles + $550 in taxes or 35k miles + $650 in taxes which seems kind of a steal.

That would make it 100k Aeroplan Miles vs 197k TD Points for exactly the SAME ticket without putting a cent.
I mean the only logic or sense would be if its easier to collect 100k Aeroplan Miles rather than 197k TD points.
There are definitely options with united. Just did a quick search on aeroplan.

Take the first leg on Air Canada to some US city, then take united to bueno.
Since the majority of the trip is on united, the surcharges are based on united, and comes out to be about $111 one way.
Round trip would be about $200 surcharges.
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
238 posts
134 upvotes
Well I was just checking your idea but its really bad.... I should get a minimum of 3 flights, and a minimum of 22hs. Plus I did some math and the return value of a mile to Buenos Aires (Including taxes) is $0.007
May 26, 2009
562 posts
746 upvotes
Calgary
ezequielfriscia wrote: Well I was just checking your idea but its really bad.... I should get a minimum of 3 flights, and a minimum of 22hs. Plus I did some math and the return value of a mile to Buenos Aires (Including taxes) is $0.007
My one-way example was just one stopover (i.e. two flights). If the cost of the round trip flight is $947, the value of the AP redemption is about $750 if you get the fees under $200 round trip. So, that works out to 1.25 cpp. Not mind blowing, but much better than the 0.7 cpp you calculate. AP has higher value redemption if you are going business class, but this sounds like okay value for an economy flight.

This flight does have a 22 hr total time, because the stopover in EWR is 9hrs. I personally wouldn't have an issue with that. I'd go do something interesting in New York with that stopover. I found this flight with only about 10 minutes of research. You might be able to find something more suitable for your preference if you do your own research. If you would like some guidelines on doing so, this article from POT is a good start.
Images
  • AP YUL-EWR-EZE.jpg
May 26, 2009
562 posts
746 upvotes
Calgary
If you want business class, you can do really well flying COPA Airlines.

Here is one with $62 in fees and 15 hrs total flight time.

Images
  • COPA YUL-PTY-EZE.jpg
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
238 posts
134 upvotes
Damn. Thanks a lot about that.
I feel I’m doing something wrong. Every time I search I see only Air Canada results and can’t filter.

In this case the Aeroplan miles would have a better value than the TD Points correct?
May 26, 2009
562 posts
746 upvotes
Calgary
ezequielfriscia wrote: Damn. Thanks a lot about that.
I feel I’m doing something wrong. Every time I search I see only Air Canada results and can’t filter.
Use the United Airlines search to find the flight segments you want. Then go to Aeroplan when you know the specific days that work.
In this case the Aeroplan miles would have a better value than the TD Points correct?
I don't use TD points, so I can't tell you. But this path gives you 1.25 cpp value for AP flying economy, more if you value business class.
Aug 5, 2018
539 posts
753 upvotes
ezequielfriscia wrote: Damn. Thanks a lot about that.

As I said, TD points are mostly used for hotels. There are no 'discount' with TD points, as it is valued at 0.5c/pt, with expedia quoting regular cash price from google.
That's not to say it's bad, as you are paying regular price, not inflated prices.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot more discounts to be had with aeroplan, especially in business.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14594 posts
12623 upvotes
Going to the Moon
xx1what wrote: As I said, TD points are mostly used for hotels. There are no 'discount' with TD points, as it is valued at 0.5c/pt, with expedia quoting regular cash price from google.
That's not to say it's bad, as you are paying regular price, not inflated prices.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot more discounts to be had with aeroplan, especially in business.
Worst case scenario, redeem TD pts "after the fact" on any travel spend at 0.4cpp. this can come in handy if you're booking for more than 20% cheaper than Expedia4TD. Another cool trick to empty out pts after a travel purchase is to redeem the accrued pts on an Expedia4TD purchase "after the fact" at 0.4cpp. Kinda nice for some instant statement credit.

I recommend doing both TD pts and Aeroplan for OP. It's quite the no-brainer. Also, book with Aeroplan pts, pay the difference with TD FCT, and redeem TD pts at 0.4cpp.

Some people like BNS PP pts for statement credit on travel spend (SCOTS), but they're harder to churn now.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Aug 3, 2006
750 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Based on your needs, I think TD First Class Infinite Visa would be the best option for you. Book any seat and don't forget, earn rate is flat 1.5% return in travel. $63K spend would get you $950 in travel (and points can be redeemed at the same rate for the total cost including all fees/taxes).

TD Aeroplan Visa has 1.5 points accelerator on gas/grocery but still doesn't beat the above. If 25% of your spending is in Gas/Grocery, you'd need to spend $87K to accumulate 100K Aeroplan points.

Regarding Aeroplan program, yes there are benefits (stop-over in US to fly United, business class travel, etc.) but the convenience of booking AC direct, no hassle or fiddling with award seat availability on Aeroplan can't be beat considering your specific scenario.

Don't bother with Aventura. You won't get above 1.25% return on your spending, around 1% in many cases.

Go with TD Rewards for now and if your needs change few years down the road, you can always change or add-on as secondary.

You may also want to look into cash back cards that have higher than 1.5% return which would beat the TD Rewards rate (such as Rogers Mastercard with 1.75% return). You would just book your flights as cash fare and keep the cash back to offset the cost!
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4009 posts
5096 upvotes
Montreal
BoogieMan wrote: Based on your needs, I think TD First Class Infinite Visa would be the best option for you. Book any seat and don't forget, earn rate is flat 1.5% return in travel. $63K spend would get you $950 in travel (and points can be redeemed at the same rate for the total cost including all fees/taxes).
The earn rate is only 1.5% if you redeem travel through ExpediaForTD, which not everyone likes to do. Otherwise, the earn rate is 1.2% as a statement credit on travel expenses. I personally don't like Expedia, and would rather book directly with airlines/hotels/car-renters for a number of reasons (less hassle if there are changes to be made, hotel status benefits, etc.)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1925 posts
944 upvotes
Aeroplan is popular in online forums because you can book business class and mini-round-the-world trips with points, which have huge "equivalent" cash prices. If you just want to pay for flights to places outside North America, and don't mind flying economy, TD rewards is perfectly fine. Been using Expedia for TD for the past decade.

Go Aventura if you already have CIBC smart plus account and if you travel a few times a year and don't have access to lounges otherwise. 4 priority pass lounges come in pretty handy for the casual traveler.
Aug 3, 2006
750 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: The earn rate is only 1.5% if you redeem travel through ExpediaForTD, which not everyone likes to do. Otherwise, the earn rate is 1.2% as a statement credit on travel expenses. I personally don't like Expedia, and would rather book directly with airlines/hotels/car-renters for a number of reasons (less hassle if there are changes to be made, hotel status benefits, etc.)
I agree with you. You and me both prefer booking direct to take advantage of status benefits. For the OP though, I would suggest otherwise based on info provided.