Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5516 posts
1404 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Completing degree online/part time for CPA

I did 3/4 years of a Math and Economics degree back in 2012. Looking to finish it off so I can work on my CPA.

What are some good options for someone looking to complete a degree online or part time ?
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
5 replies
Jan 1, 2015
663 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I had a friend become CPA PEP eligible taking online courses at Athabasca. It's easier than regular university accounting courses and is CPA-accredited.
Mar 4, 2010
522 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
i finished a bachelor of management through Athabasca and added on some extra courses to complete CPA. my suggestion is to analyze the best courses that offer 1 to 1 equivalency. I think the ones like law, intro to accounting, cost accounting etc. The ones that you have to take multiple courses like intermediate accounting, tax, etc for one of the prep courses, take directly through CPA as you'll only need to take one course (tax, advanced accounting etc)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1372 posts
1497 upvotes
djfunk wrote: i finished a bachelor of management through Athabasca and added on some extra courses to complete CPA. my suggestion is to analyze the best courses that offer 1 to 1 equivalency. I think the ones like law, intro to accounting, cost accounting etc. The ones that you have to take multiple courses like intermediate accounting, tax, etc for one of the prep courses, take directly through CPA as you'll only need to take one course (tax, advanced accounting etc)
How much did it cost you roughly?
Mar 4, 2010
522 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Cucumference wrote: How much did it cost you roughly?
Each course through Athabasca was ~850 + the cost of exam writing. The exam writing can cost anywhere between $60-$150, depending where you go to write it. I live in the G.T.A. area and Seneca charges $100 to sit and York charges $150. I found a place in Scarborough that charges $60 cash. So all in all you'll probably pay close to $1,000 per course.

It's definitely not the cheapest but Athabasca gave me huge flexibility. You register in a course by the 10th of the previous month and you have up to 6 months to finish everything. The cool thing is once you registered, the next day you had access to all the course material and assignments. A lot of the courses i completed before the course start date. on day 1 i would submit all the course work and book the midterm/exams immediately. technically you could complete a course every two months. Some of the easier courses i was booking two at a time.

I'm not a shill for Athabasca, its expensive and can be tough as they offer really little to no student support. If you are a self starter and can figure things out, Athabasca is for you. If not, i suggest a classroom setting college/university that has a teacher to provide you the time of day
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5516 posts
1404 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the responses. I also went to TRU in the past and they were good for me online - they also would grant a degree as long as I took at least 1 years worth of school there. Rates are less than Athabasca. However , Ill check out what Athabasca has got for sure
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013